PDA

View Full Version : Masters series events may dissapear!

yonex90
06-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Match Point Atlanta just ran a story that the players association, who consists of Nadal and a host of top players, met and has decided that they would like the masters series events to go away. :mad:

Feņa14
06-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Wow, did they say what they want to replace them with?

ACE of Hearts
06-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I would be dissapointed if true.I wanna know who are the other players.This would benefit Nadal alot, considering his style of play.

yonex90
06-10-2006, 10:12 AM
They said something about the Grand Slam events having more players which doesn't make sense to me because all of the good players enter them already. The events will still take place but they will not be manadantory. The players will have more choice about which events they want to enter.

It looks to me like they want to play in fewer events which would probably reduce the coverage of these events to nothing and we will have 4 grandslams on tv only.

We better all find a way to get the tennis channel.

Max G.
06-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Well, "Masters Series" were are relatively new invention anyway - weren't they introduced in the 90s? Before there was just a bunch of different tournaments, of various prestige levels.

I'm not sure on this, since I wasn't watching tennis at the time, but that's how I remember reading about it.

Moose Malloy
06-10-2006, 02:15 PM
I would be dissapointed if true.I wanna know who are the other players.This would benefit Nadal alot, considering his style of play.

Fed already missed one MS this year. last year he missed 4. Its rather silly to have 9 of these considering top players rarely ever play all 9.

LowProfile
06-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Fed already missed one MS this year. last year he missed 4. Its rather silly to have 9 of these considering top players rarely ever play all 9.

This gives other players more chances to win a Masters Shield. Whether this is a good or bad thing is for you to decide.

And I should point out how uncommon it is for any one player (much less two) to dominate the Masters events of one year (like last year where Federer and Nadal EACH won four shields).

HyperHorse
06-10-2006, 04:16 PM
this would have to be the most stupid of decisions if they decide to axe the Masters Series...
i guess Rafael doesnt like to play indoors? *rolls eyes*

The tennis guy
06-10-2006, 04:35 PM
They are not disappearing, they just won't be mandatory tournaments if it gets approved. Right now it will count as 0 ranking point if you don't play. Federer was still run-away No. 1 last year even though he got 0 ranking points for the 4 master events he didn't play. ATP might go with WTA format. They have tier 1 events as well, but only Miami is mandatory event.

yonex90
06-10-2006, 07:37 PM
I personally like the Masters series events. It's nice that they are "mandantory" because we get to see these guys play. Maybe they should only make the biggest ones "mandantory" so that they could be more prestigeous and we could see them on tv. I love being able to watch the Pacific life Open, and the Maimi event on tv. I have a feeling that if they change them we will see the American players in the US events and the european players in the european events. Clay court players will stick to clay courts, etc. We may not get to see Safin, Hewitt, Gasquet, Baghdatis, etc. on tv.

Marius_Hancu
06-10-2006, 07:49 PM
This is known for months: there will be only 5 Super (mandatory) Tourneys outside the GSs. Not sure which.