PDA

View Full Version : Roddick may leave top 10, Sabitini going to hall of fame

jukka1970
06-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Well according to Tennis magazine many people on here can now be happy as Sabatini is suppose to be inducted into the hall of fame. I know when there were posts when Noah went into the hall of fame, people were wondering well why not Sabitini since she also won a slam. Well it looks like she's going to go in. I'm not sure what took them this long, I know that a player has to be retired for 5 years before they can be inducted. I'm guessing that maybe she had thought of playing again and the 5 year clock got reset. Either way it's great that she's going to be added.

Roddick may now be leaving the Top 10 depending on what happens in Queens and Wimbledon. I heard from the announcers while watching the different French open matches that Andy could be in trouble this year. Of course it is still all dependent on how he does at these two grass tournaments, as Wimbledon for the last 2 years has given the points at just the right time to save him from losing more rank. the big question is, whether he'll be able to save himself a third time, and make up the huge points he lost by exiting so early at the French Open.

John

Warriorroger
06-10-2006, 01:07 PM
As much as I like Sabatini, she doesn't not belong in the hall of fame. She has never left her mark in women's tennis. She is was talent, very nice, but not a number one player. Seems to me that hall of fame is going to be a very crowed club.

marcus_alsager
06-10-2006, 01:09 PM
i think roddick will do well again at wimbledon and queens, he always does, he will do even better when he gets a new coach

Condoleezza
06-10-2006, 01:18 PM
As much as I like Sabatini, she doesn't not belong in the hall of fame. She has never left her mark in women's tennis. She is was talent, very nice, but not a number one player. Seems to me that hall of fame is going to be a very crowed club.

She won one slam (US Open 1990), made two more slam finals (US Open 1988, Wimbledon 1992), made about 12 more slam semis, won two Year End Championships, won a Olympic silver medal. Was top 10 for 10 years, beat Steffi Graf a record 11 times. One of the most graceful players of all time.

Of course a Hall of Famer.

Condi

Warriorroger
06-10-2006, 01:23 PM
She won one slam (US Open 1990), made two more slam finals (US Open 1988, Wimbledon 1992), made about 12 more slam semis, won two Year End Championships, won a Olympic silver medal. Was top 10 for 10 years, beat Steffi Graf a record 11 times. One of the most graceful players of all time.

Condi

Agree to much you are saying, but you don't mention how many times Steffi beat Gaby, 11 becomes very small then. How many times was Gaby number one? Never! How many times is she mentioned in documentary's about women's tennis? Almost never. She only won one slam. Yes, she was a very graceful and good player, but not more than that. IMO criteria for being in the Hall of Fame should be higher. To induct Gaby in the hall of fame is the same as saying she was in the same tennisclass as the past greats and the other greats like Martina I, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf and Monica Seles and she just doesn't belong amonst them, no matter how nice she was and how good a person she still is.

simi
06-10-2006, 01:23 PM

Along with Villas, she helped usher in a new era of Argentinian tennis.

Warriorroger
06-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Along with Villas, she helped usher in a new era of Argentinian tennis.

You have to be more global than that. She is not in Navratilova's, Evert's, Graf's or Seles's league concerning tennis impact.

Grace and being loved she probably beats them all, but the tennis no.

DashaandSafin
06-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Well according to Tennis magazine many people on here can now be happy as Sabatini is suppose to be inducted into the hall of fame. I know when there were posts when Noah went into the hall of fame, people were wondering well why not Sabitini since she also won a slam. Well it looks like she's going to go in. I'm not sure what took them this long, I know that a player has to be retired for 5 years before they can be inducted. I'm guessing that maybe she had thought of playing again and the 5 year clock got reset. Either way it's great that she's going to be added.

Roddick may now be leaving the Top 10 depending on what happens in Queens and Wimbledon. I heard from the announcers while watching the different French open matches that Andy could be in trouble this year. Of course it is still all dependent on how he does at these two grass tournaments, as Wimbledon for the last 2 years has given the points at just the right time to save him from losing more rank. the big question is, whether he'll be able to save himself a third time, and make up the huge points he lost by exiting so early at the French Open.

John
?

And what makes you think he'll lose on grass this year? Only Federer is better on grass.

jukka1970
06-10-2006, 05:01 PM
?

And what makes you think he'll lose on grass this year? Only Federer is better on grass.

Did I say he would lose, no. What i said was what the commentators said, that if he doesn't win a bunch on the next couple of grass tournaments, ie Queens and Wimbledon then he will drop from the top 10. Try reading before commenting on what you think I said.

And to give you a possibility since you asked a question. Injury comes to mind as something that could happen, etc.

diegaa
06-10-2006, 05:56 PM
You have to be more global than that. She is not in Navratilova's, Evert's, Graf's or Seles's league concerning tennis impact.

Well, ia agree she was one step behing all of them. But, would you consider Mauresmo (a slam winner + #1) a serious candidate of the hall of fame if she ended her career right away? I think the issue is that Gaby managed consistantly for many years being a top 10, even top 5. And fought decently against the best tennis players in the history of the game (navratilova, evert, graff and seles).

Rhino
06-10-2006, 06:06 PM

I think you're forgetting something:
She was absolutely gorgeous.
Hall of Fame, bring it on!!

simi
06-10-2006, 07:21 PM
I think you're forgetting something:
She was absolutely gorgeous.
Hall of Fame, bring it on!!

Minor correction: She IS absolutely gorgeous.

slice bh compliment
06-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Gabby was and is special.

Re: Roddick. Yeah, he's in trouble. But he did not lose HUGE points by losing in the 1st rd at RG. Last year, I think Chucho got him in the 2nd rd. No big. It's the disappointing showings on hard courts that are hurting his numbers. And of course, he will need to do well over the next two months to get seedings at big events.

Hiring Jimmy is a cry for help. So at least he wants it. OR maybe Jimmy will shame him ... bully him into working hard and getting his confidence back. If there is one thing Jimmy knows all about, it is confidence. And jumblies....and cross-mojonation in a tennis match.

Warriorroger
06-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Well, ia agree she was one step behing all of them. But, would you consider Mauresmo (a slam winner + #1) a serious candidate of the hall of fame if she ended her career right away? I think the issue is that Gaby managed consistantly for many years being a top 10, even top 5. And fought decently against the best tennis players in the history of the game (navratilova, evert, graff and seles).

Come on, she was more than 1 step behind them. Yes she beat Steffi 11 times, only 3 matches were over in 2 sets. Steffi Graf beat her 29 times and more than a few of those wins were in the 6/0, 6/1, 6/2 category.

107 career titles vs 27

They should put something besides the Hall of Fame: maybe the relics of the Hall of Fame. Inducting Gaby is saying she had as much as an impact as Steffi on women's tennis and that is just not true. Same goes for Mauresmo.

superman1
06-11-2006, 03:38 AM
So everyone who gets inducted has to be at the level of Steffi Graf? I don't think many players will get inducted that way.

Condoleezza
06-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Agree to much you are saying, but you don't mention how many times Steffi beat Gaby, 11 becomes very small then. How many times was Gaby number one? Never! How many times is she mentioned in documentary's about women's tennis? Almost never. She only won one slam. Yes, she was a very graceful and good player, but not more than that. IMO criteria for being in the Hall of Fame should be higher. To induct Gaby in the hall of fame is the same as saying she was in the same tennisclass as the past greats and the other greats like Martina I, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf and Monica Seles and she just doesn't belong amonst them, no matter how nice she was and how good a person she still is.

Sabatini was one of the most prolific players in the greatest era of women's tennis (80/90ies). When there are almost 100 players in the HoF, Gaby is definitely one of them. The HoF is not only about the top 10 greatest players ever.

Condi

Warriorroger
06-11-2006, 04:01 AM
So everyone who gets inducted has to be at the level of Steffi Graf? I don't think many players will get inducted that way.

Of course not, but what's the use, you know what, let Mary Joe Fernandez and Guestova Kuerten be inducted to.:rolleyes:

Condoleezza
06-11-2006, 04:09 AM
Of course not, but what's the use, you know what, let Mary Joe Fernandez and Guestova Kuerten be inducted to.:rolleyes:

Guga will be inducted one day, MJF not.

Condi

slice bh compliment
06-11-2006, 04:12 AM
warriorroger,
you are right, MJ Fernandez would be a stretch.
But Cedric Piloline or Todd Martin might have been a better example for your point on the men's side.

Gustavo Kuerten is a shoo-in for the HOF. Granted, he is no Laver or Sampras, but he's enjoyed a similar following to guys like Noah and Rafter (well almost)....plus, more Slams and a Masters.

I know how you feel about ROger. In those terms, you might say that I am totally gay for Guga.

Warriorroger
06-11-2006, 08:44 AM
warriorroger,
you are right, MJ Fernandez would be a stretch.
But Cedric Piloline or Todd Martin might have been a better example for your point on the men's side.

Gustavo Kuerten is a shoo-in for the HOF. Granted, he is no Laver or Sampras, but he's enjoyed a similar following to guys like Noah and Rafter (well almost)....plus, more Slams and a Masters.

I know how you feel about ROger. In those terms, you might say that I am totally gay for Guga.

Well right now I am mad at Roger and may denie him his usual action.:rolleyes: (mm maybe not, he looked great)
Ps thanks for the advice on the Guga bit, the moment I typed his name I knew I was wrong, but could't come up with the names you provided.

DashaandSafin
06-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Did I say he would lose, no. What i said was what the commentators said, that if he doesn't win a bunch on the next couple of grass tournaments, ie Queens and Wimbledon then he will drop from the top 10. Try reading before commenting on what you think I said.

And to give you a possibility since you asked a question. Injury comes to mind as something that could happen, etc.
You infered he might lose.

sureshs
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Every year, some new additions are made to the Hall of Fame (is that recent or always the case?) So they need people. It is also a commercial thing - there is a grass court tournament there and people buy tickets and so on. They also need to diversify internationally to satisfy different constituencies. I don't think it should be considered as a purely merit-based recognition.

BabolatFan
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Whatcha talking abt willis? Roddick should climb up this hardcourt season with jimmy c's guidance. Last year's USO was his complete disaster and he should really learn from it. Sometimes I wonder he's in his mind during the match.