PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when you need new shoes?

heycal
06-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I've owned a fine pair of New Balance 652's for 9 months, playing in them an average of 2 hours a week. They still look like they are in decent condition aside from a fabric tear in the left heel area. Lately though, my knees and legs have been stiff/sore, and I'm wondering if it's due to playing more tennis in these warmer months or whether it's because my sneakers have lost some support over time, or both. So... even though my sneakers look fine, and feel okay, is it possible they need to be replaced? How do you know aside from obvious wear and tear when a shoe is past its prime?

goober
06-10-2006, 01:47 PM
If you are legs and knees are sore and they weren't until recently, it is definitely time to look into what is causing the problem. If you still have decent tread left you may want to just put in new insole. Get cushioned one like a Dr. Scholl. It may do the trick. If your soles are smooth it is time to switch shoes.

9 months of 2hr/week tennis is about 72 hours of play. I would say that is probably pretty average for the life of a shoe.

Kabob190
06-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I usually burn a hole in my shoes before i even consider its time to buy new shoes. I buy new ones when i start burning holes in my socks that come through the hole in my shoes. Not long for me, maybe 3, 4 months max.

tennis_nerd22
06-10-2006, 03:39 PM
when there's a big hole where your big toe is ;)

xtremerunnerars
06-11-2006, 06:44 PM

wouldn't it be where your big toe was?

:-P And yeah, when i feel it in my ankles it's usually time for me.

BreakPoint
06-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Most shoes lose their cushioning and support before you wear a hole in the soles. If your knees are hurting then I'd say that means the cushioning in your shoes are almost gone. Time for a new pair.

hondas2k
06-11-2006, 08:10 PM
yeah that
or when you losethe traction

rasajadad
06-12-2006, 04:43 AM
At only 2 hours a week, you should get a little more than 9 months out of your midsoles. I get 6 months out of a pair of Barricade 3's playing 10 hours/week. Maybe the New Balance aren't as good. What's your weight?

heycal
06-12-2006, 08:48 AM
I weigh 160, and 5'10", but I'm thinking that what Breakpoint says about cushioning and support wearing out before you get holes and other such posts make sense, and it's time to get a new pair of shoes. So... just when I'm done obsessing about what's the best racket to use, I can now begin obsessing about which shoe to buy!

Any suggestions? Are New Balances a respectable brand, or should I go Nike or Adidas or Reebok for superior cushioning and support?

mucat
06-12-2006, 10:09 AM
heycal, are you sure the pain is cause by playing tennis? Since you only play 2hrs a week. Also, how old are you?

BreakPoint
06-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Any suggestions? Are New Balances a respectable brand, or should I go Nike or Adidas or Reebok for superior cushioning and support?

I've never worn New Balance tennis shoes (although I have a pair of NB cross trainers that I wear as walking shoes and they are great with great cushioning!), but as far as tennis shoes: Nikes with Max Air in the heel and Zoom Air in the forefoot have good cushioning; Adidas Barricade II, II, and IV have good cushioning; Reebok Match Day Pumps have good cushioning, and the Prince T-10 have excellent support and cushioning.

slewisoh
06-12-2006, 11:01 AM
heycal, are you sure the pain is cause by playing tennis? Since you only play 2hrs a week. Also, how old are you?

Well Heycal, it seems we're getting up close and personal with you today...;)

So what's your sign?

Starbucks Grande Mocha, 2% milk and whipped cream - you?

I switched to the Barricades after turning my ankles several times with Wilson Intrigues (there's that Wilson name again). Great stability, adequate cushioning, but hot. One of the later versions is supposed to have better ventilation but I'm not sure which one. At this point I feel like I would jinx myself by trying a different shoe - 3 years without a rolled ankle! Keep in mind that when barefoot, I can roll my ankles on a welcome mat.

Please continue your equipment neurosis - have you done sock comparisons yet? :p

heycal
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Don't worry, I'll be worrying about socks next...

To answer everyone's questions: I'm 5'10", 160 pounds, 34 waist, 7 inches cut, size 10 1/2 shoe, 43 years old, Libra. I can't be certain my aches are caused by tennis, but I'm thinking tennis is a more likely culprit for my sore knees and assorted other aches than is, say, watching TV... I've actually upped my frequency of play lately, going from 2 hours a week to maybe 6 hours or so a week in the last month, so I'm figuring the increased play -- along with possibly worn out sneakers -- is causing the extra soreness.

I'm thinking that maybe I should go more upscale than my 50 buck 14.4 oz New Balance 652's and maybe get a more serious shoe. But 17 oz.+ Barricades and Match Day Pumps sound a bit too clunky for my liking. (Hell, I thought my New Balance's felt heavy, and was quite surprised to find they were considerably lighter than most shoes on the market.) The Nike Breathe shoes sound like something I should consider.

heycal
06-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I know you are all anxiously awaiting the next chapter in my shoe search, so here it is: Because I won't buy unfamiliar sneakers online, I went to two different malls and checked close to a dozen stores today in a quest to find some Breathe III's, Barricade 2-4's, Reebok Netmaster, NB 802 and 1001's, etc to try on. I think I find maybe one Barricade 2 and one Breathe 2, but basically I couldn't find much of anything, even at stores that sold the models I was looking for on their websites. Most of the employees had never even heard of the shoes I was looking for. Total letdown...

I finally bought a pair of NB 653's at Modells because they weren't terribly dissimilar feeling to my current 652's and I was sick of searching for the fancier shoes. What is wrong with the world when a guy can't find a pair of Breathe III's to try on despite trying a ton of places in a major metropolitan area?

Freedom
06-13-2006, 11:04 PM

That's when I get new shoes too.

I totally shredded a pair of socks one match, when my shoes were already toasted. The toes of my shoes, socks, and body were ripped. :-|

BreakPoint
06-13-2006, 11:54 PM
I know you are all anxiously awaiting the next chapter in my shoe search, so here it is: Because I won't buy unfamiliar sneakers online, I went to two different malls and checked close to a dozen stores today in a quest to find some Breathe III's, Barricade 2-4's, Reebok Netmaster, NB 802 and 1001's, etc to try on. I think I find maybe one Barricade 2 and one Breathe 2, but basically I couldn't find much of anything, even at stores that sold the models I was looking for on their websites. Most of the employees had never even heard of the shoes I was looking for. Total letdown...

I finally bought a pair of NB 653's at Modells because they weren't terribly dissimilar feeling to my current 652's and I was sick of searching for the fancier shoes. What is wrong with the world when a guy can't find a pair of Breathe III's to try on despite trying a ton of places in a major metropolitan area?

As you've just found out first hand, it's very difficult to find real tennis shoes even in sporting goods stores or athletic footwear stores. You're pretty much limited to tennis pro shops and the Internet, like here at TW.

mucat
06-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Don't worry, I'll be worrying about socks next...

To answer everyone's questions: I'm 5'10", 160 pounds, 34 waist, 7 inches cut, size 10 1/2 shoe, 43 years old, Libra. I can't be certain my aches are caused by tennis, but I'm thinking tennis is a more likely culprit for my sore knees and assorted other aches than is, say, watching TV... I've actually upped my frequency of play lately, going from 2 hours a week to maybe 6 hours or so a week in the last month, so I'm figuring the increased play -- along with possibly worn out sneakers -- is causing the extra soreness.

I'm thinking that maybe I should go more upscale than my 50 buck 14.4 oz New Balance 652's and maybe get a more serious shoe. But 17 oz.+ Barricades and Match Day Pumps sound a bit too clunky for my liking. (Hell, I thought my New Balance's felt heavy, and was quite surprised to find they were considerably lighter than most shoes on the market.) The Nike Breathe shoes sound like something I should consider.

A few years ago, I started playing tennis again. I started have heel pain and both my legs were dead after a couple hrs of play. Then I started to try inserts and different shoes. Long story short, right now, I am wearing NB CT1001 with Dr. Scholls Tri-Comfort, so far, this is the only setup that works, the cushioning absorb all the impact from heavy running. Nowaday, I have to wear the Dr. Scholls Tri-Comfort with any shoes I wear even where not playing and I have to be very picky about what kind of shoes I can wear. Basically, I need to wear shoes with good cushioning, any less I will start having pain on my heels even with the Dr. Scholls inserts. BTW, I did try the NB 6xx series xtrainers, their cushioning is good but still not good enough for my problem.