PDA

View Full Version : Does Amelie need to prove herself still?

BeautyVenus
06-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Now that Justine just won the French Open title and proved she can win slams again. What about Amelie Mauresmo? As usual she let the demons destroy her at the French Open. Everyone was saying she had conquered her fears but Justine let her off the hook at the Australian Open. Right now Justine could of had two slams under her belt for this year. If Justine had hung around a bit longer Amelie may have cracked under the pressure. I still feel Amelie hasn't really proven that she is a real contender on the WTA. Will Amelie be a one slam wonder like Sabatni, Novotna, Martinez? Or will she win more?

J-man
06-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Vadisova played great tennis that day that she beat Mauresmo. I don't think it was so much chocking. Also you say that if JHH would have hung around alittle longer she would have won the AO final. Dude WTF?! JHH wouldn't have keeped going if you were on the other side of the net, for goodness sakes!!!!!

Mauresmo isn't one of those players who is a one slam wonder. She fights hard and wants to win again. Watch out USopen!!:D :mrgreen:

Moose Malloy
06-10-2006, 04:18 PM
She still hasn't won a slam in my view. She got two retirements to win the AO. She's #1, but I doubt anyone on tour fears her like they do Henin, Sharapova, even Venus.

BeautyVenus
06-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Its true in my mind Amelie still has to prove she is a contender. I just feel like she even doesn't believe it still despite what she says. It was looking like in Australia she might have the breakthrough. However, Clijsters and Henin retired and it just makes Amelie look bad. She still has not won 7 matches in a row. She needs to show she's for real.

FEDEXP
06-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Mauresmo doesn't have to prove anything unless she desires to do so. Actually there were 3 retiring players against her at the AO. I would say however that she has not yet demonstrated the mental toughness to be a multiple Slam winner; it would be great if that were to happen though time is moving on.

jukka1970
06-10-2006, 10:32 PM
I think she needs to prove it to herself. Yes she's got the slam win, but does she believe it enough, in my mind no. I think she's still unsure about herself, and even though she played great at the Australian Open, she still had the semi and final retirees. In my mind she's always been a great player, so she really had nothing to prove. There are players that are great that haven't won a slam.

John

Mike Danger
06-10-2006, 10:39 PM
I hear shes good on carpet ;-)

cool_sport23
06-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Mauresmo is just plain lucky to win AO even though she's no.1 nobody really picks her to win the next grandslams. JUST LUCKY

chess9
06-10-2006, 11:34 PM
I hear shes good on carpet ;-)

You are so norty....<spank, spank>

-Robert

Warriorroger
06-11-2006, 02:47 AM
If she is happy with what she has achieved, no, but I can't believe that she can look at herself and be pleased. Number one in the world, never won the RG title in her backyard. Won an AO through default. A number one who is mentally that fragile. I don't think she is satisfied and has put on a happy face to protect herself. Serena Williams, (maybe Henin) was the last who had the right set of mind to be number one. Davenport-Clijsters-Mauresome had a ****** mental attitude and attitude towards the game.

Mauresmo should be only pumping her fists like she does when she in the final of something big and winning. Now, it looks ridiculous. She is lucky that she is in women's tennis today.

She wouldn't be in the top ten when Steffi or Monica were ruling. You can argue that overal they have stronger shots today (Graf and Seles would still be leaders today), but tennis is played in the mind and there Amelie is an average player.

Condoleezza
06-11-2006, 03:06 AM
Now that Justine just won the French Open title and proved she can win slams again. What about Amelie Mauresmo? As usual she let the demons destroy her at the French Open. Everyone was saying she had conquered her fears but Justine let her off the hook at the Australian Open. Right now Justine could of had two slams under her belt for this year. If Justine had hung around a bit longer Amelie may have cracked under the pressure. I still feel Amelie hasn't really proven that she is a real contender on the WTA. Will Amelie be a one slam wonder like Sabatni, Novotna, Martinez? Or will she win more?

No, I can't imagine that. She had a lot of luck that Henin was ill in the Australian Open final. She is a nice girl but she simply doesn't have the right stuff.

Condi

Eviscerator
06-15-2006, 09:29 PM
She still hasn't won a slam in my view. She got two retirements to win the AO. She's #1, but I doubt anyone on tour fears her like they do Henin, Sharapova, even Venus.

I totally agree. She is a choke artist and fades when the pressure is on. This time however she had 3 different opponents retire, so she was never tested, and essentially won by default.

Othello
06-16-2006, 12:56 AM

She actually got 3 retirements. She only played 4 matches to completion not including the Final and Semifinal.
If that's not a gift I don't know what is.
I do however think she would have beaten JHH had they played to the end. (Only because JHH seemed to be genuinely ailed.)

Regardless, the records will not indicate that she had 3 rets. They will show Mauresmo AO '06 Winner and good on her for that.
That being said I honestly don't see her winning another grandslam.
Hopefully she puts on a good show at Wimbly.

Arafel
06-16-2006, 07:39 AM
She actually got 3 retirements. She only played 4 matches to completion not including the Final and Semifinal.
If that's not a gift I don't know what is.
I do however think she would have beaten JHH had they played to the end. (Only because JHH seemed to be genuinely ailed.)

Regardless, the records will not indicate that she had 3 rets. They will show Mauresmo AO '06 Winner and good on her for that.
That being said I honestly don't see her winning another grandslam.
Hopefully she puts on a good show at Wimbly.

She tends to play well at Wimbledon. I could see her winning it. She lost a very close match to Davenport in the semis last year, and the year before a semi to I think Serena. She doesn't do well in Paris because she puts too much pressure on herself to perform in front of the home crowd, just like the English men do at Wimbledon.

AS for the retirement issue, I think she would have beaten Clijsters in the semis if Clijsters hadn't gotten hurt; Amelie was playing well that day. And she was crushing JHH, and given JHH's post match demeanor I don't really believe the "injury." She may have felt a little off, but it was clear Amelie was going to win that day no matter what JHH did and JHH threw in the towel, just like Lendl used to in his early days, though Lendl would at least finish the match.

Eviscerator
06-16-2006, 07:56 AM
She actually got 3 I do however think she would have beaten JHH had they played to the end. (Only because JHH seemed to be genuinely ailed.)

AS for the retirement issue, I think she would have beaten Clijsters in the semis if Clijsters hadn't gotten hurt; Amelie was playing well that day. .

The reason the above speculation does not hold water is because she is a choker. Even when she has been expected to win a slam, or is beating another player, she finds a way to choke. So even if she was playing "well that day", if her past performances are any indication, she would have found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

She still needs to win a slam to be a one hit wonder in my book.