mosquito
07-06-2004, 07:45 PM
...a wooden racquet?

Coda
07-06-2004, 07:55 PM
PRince woodie...great racket

mosquito
07-06-2004, 08:02 PM
i found one in my garage and it says TAD on it? Is that a brand or something?

baseliner
07-07-2004, 03:54 AM
I remember the TAD rackets also called Davis. Can't find my old Jack kramer wooden rackets. Do still have my Slazenger Challenge One (the stiffness of graphite with the touch of wood). Still go out and hit with it on occassion.

bookem
07-07-2004, 04:31 AM
As I recall, TAD = Thomas A Davis but were commonly called Davis racquets.

Still have a Davis Duke.... and also play occasionally with my Wilson Advantage and Donnay Allwood... nothing like 'em to work on center hits and good contact...

louisc
07-07-2004, 06:01 AM
Donnay Borg Pro (1980 model). Had it restrung recently, keep it in a press. It still plays beautifully. I find my strokes becomes more, well, classical with it. I'd support a move back to wood.

joe sch
07-07-2004, 07:31 AM
TAD - TA Davis rackets were the most beautiful constructed woodies. My favorite is the imperial delux and the imperials were probably the most used of the davis rackquets. The classic models were also very popular and rather than woodie type looks, they had nice paint jobs with polished ceramic finishes. Here is a picture showing many of the standard head TADs : http://www.woodtennis.com/tad/tadsStandards0.jpg
Some of the latest TADs were open throats very similar in style to the popular prince woodie, take a look :
http://www.woodtennis.com/tad/tads9.jpg

I believe one reason why the TADs never got the popularity of the famous wilsons, dunlops and donnays is because they never had any famous players using the sticks like McEnroe, Kramer, Smith, Laver, Borg, etc ...

jayserinos99
07-07-2004, 07:36 AM
prince woodie.

mosquito
07-07-2004, 10:27 AM
whoa i sure learned a lot...does anyone know how much a wooden racquet cost now a days?

Rabbit
07-07-2004, 10:39 AM
I just bought a Dunlop Maxply McEnroe off e-bay (9/10) for $50. I played doubles with it last weekend, and it plays great. I also own:

3 Jack Kramer Autos
1 Jack Kramer ProStaff
2 Slazenger Challenge 1's (one has never been strung [atatu])
5 Head Vilas Autos
2 Snauwert Vitas Gerualitis Autos
1 Garcia 300 (Harold Solomon)
1 Adidas Haillet (one of my favs)
1 Wilson Advantage
2 Fox ATP Mids

Non-wood frames include

1 Wilson ProStaff (Chicago)
1 Wilson ProStaff (St. Vincent)
2 PDP Fibrestaffs
1 Adidas ADS 550 (aluminum knock off of the PDP Open and Red Head)
1 Fischer Stan Smith Auto
1 Tony Trabert C-6 Graphite (stiffest racket I ever hit with)
1 Head Arthur Ashe Comp 2
3 Wilson T-2000s (one of which is freshly strung)
2 Rossignol F200s (if they'll ever get here)

mosquito
07-07-2004, 10:43 AM
the wooden racquet i have has been lying in the garage collecting dust. how might i clean it up?

Gaines Hillix
07-07-2004, 11:07 AM
mosquito, I'd try some mild soap and warm water to begin with. What that doesn't take off you can try a mild solvent on(turpentine or kerosene). A bio based product called GooGone is also good and won't damage varnished or painted surfaces.

mosquito
07-07-2004, 11:23 AM
thanks a lot

Steve Huff
07-07-2004, 12:30 PM
I have several wood rackets, many of which I've bought from Joe Schartman (woodtennis.com). He's very reasonable, and all of the rackets he sends out are in great condition (if not brand new). If you're at all interested in older rackets (wood, steel or even some graphite models), you should visit his website at www.woodtennis.com. You'll be amazed at some of the rackets.

The rackets I have are:
Dunlop Maxply Graphite
Snauwaert La Grande
Spalding Intimidator
Slazenger Challenge #1
Slazenger Orantes
Wilson Chris Evert Auto
Wilson Jack Kramer Auto
Rossignol Strato
TAD Imperial
Snauwaert Guerulitis Auto
Bancroft Borg
Wilson Cliff Richey Auto
ProKennex Golden Ace
Wright & Ditson Championship

All cool rackets, but of the ones I've stung and played with, the Rossignol is my favorite.

Rodd4LSU
07-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Rabbit, I also own a PDP fiberstaff & an Adidas 550. I liked the PDP metal, but wanted to be different and went with the Adidas. I recently was wondering what happened to PDP as a company. Anyone know?

topspin king
07-08-2004, 11:44 AM
I own a Donnay Borg Pro, it is a great racquet. I usually play w/ my POG MP, but sometimes i play w/ the Borg Pro to have fun.