PDA

View Full Version : Using soccer jerseys for tennis?

Mike Danger
06-11-2006, 01:20 AM
anyone??
Saw these cool nike soccer jerseys with "90" on them and have seen some others that look way better that most of the tennis shirts ive seen

StJamm
06-11-2006, 02:54 AM
Seen these tops myself aswell and if im honest...i think they're horrible. Also the ones ive seen are now sported by the 'scally scum' that locate on street corners. But each to their own... :p

equinox
06-11-2006, 04:41 AM
I've seen entire teams wearing these brightly colored and numbered soccer jerseys. I was dressed in whites, visor, collared shirt, shorts. I was like wtf.

shwayguy
06-11-2006, 05:11 AM
Playing tennis sometimes I'll wear an adidas longsleeve made for soccer (not an actual jersey, but definitely a shirt specific for playing soccer...maybe goalie? since it's longsleeve and the type of material). It's navy blue with white and lime green adidas stripes that run from the collar down to the end of both sleeves.

I usually rock it with black shorts, black socks that reach the middle of my calves, and some Rod Lavers...white ones.

pause. (for the gasps at a tennis player wearing black socks with white shoes) :|

Anyway, when I was in high school, there was a picture of me in the school newspaper wearing the shirt during practice and I remember really liking the look....that was almost 5 years ago and I still wear it every now and then.

No number on the back though...don't really need numbered jerseys for a one man team.;)

Rob the Tennis Player
06-11-2006, 08:41 AM
i wear black socks with white shoes.

Mike Danger
06-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Seen these tops myself aswell and if im honest...i think they're horrible. Also the ones ive seen are now sported by the 'scally scum' that locate on street corners. But each to their own... :p

the what???:confused:

Ok, brits need to learn to speek english:rolleyes:

Theres much more variety with the soccer jerseys, and i guess if you have a team you like (i dont know any teams) i guess thats a plus. im just wondering about the comfort in the summer

oscar_2424
06-11-2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.soccer.com/images/catalog/productimages/600/745615.AP02.JPG

malakas
06-11-2006, 02:31 PM
the what???

Ok, brits need to learn to speek english

Theres much more variety with the soccer jerseys, and i guess if you have a team you like (i dont know any teams) i guess thats a plus. im just wondering about the comfort in the summer

Ok,first what colour jersey you like?You can see many jerseys of national team in the World Cup.And I suppose you can find easily most of them in America.But as for team's jerseys I don't think you can easily find them in America...:( Maybe of the biggest clubs..
But an authentic club football jersey is very expensive.It costs around 70-90 euros...:(

Mike Danger
06-11-2006, 02:39 PM
dont know if you guys noticed but Blake was wearing some US soccer gear from time to time.
dont know about much of the euro teams, But since theres a much larger selection of soccer clothing, youd be more likely to find deals on stuff. and its not quite as borring as tennis clothing.

malakas
06-11-2006, 02:41 PM
ok..just find the colours you like..and I am pretty sure you will find a footbal jersey with that colours ;)

Django
06-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Indeed, Blake last week was wearing the Nike warmup top of the US Soccer Team (in honor, I suppose, of World Cup). I dig wearing the occasional soccer jersey; my canary-yellow-with-green-trim Brazil national team top is a fave. But I shy away from the "club" teams w/ their sponsor logos across the chest.

Django
06-11-2006, 03:05 PM
As for professional matches, I seem to recall also the Jensen Brothers wearing US Soccer Team tops for a doubles match or two. Anyone care to confirm?

malakas
06-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Indeed, Blake last week was wearing the Nike warmup top of the US Soccer Team (in honor, I suppose, of World Cup). I dig wearing the occasional soccer jersey; my canary-yellow-with-green-trim Brazil national team top is a fave. But I shy away from the "club" teams w/ their sponsor logos across the chest.

That's why Barca stands out!The only team till now that has not a sponsor on its jersey!:D
Is it just me,or the brazilian jersey is hideous?!?:( I hate the colours..I mean..yellow,green and blue..Yikes!!(though it could be because I don't like the brazilian team :mrgreen: )
I like very much the jersey of athletico madrid,bremen,yuventus and the italian jersey .

Saito
06-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I've seen numerous amounts of people use the Nike soccer jerseys for tennis at my club. I don't think it's a big deal really. Plus they're Dri-fit too, so they are allowed on court (I work at an indoor tennis club... no cotton tops allowed...).

Bichigo
06-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I've seen numerous amounts of people use the Nike soccer jerseys for tennis at my club. I don't think it's a big deal really. Plus they're Dri-fit too, so they are allowed on court (I work at an indoor tennis club... no cotton tops allowed...).

Dri-fit or not, soccer apparel doesn't belong in tennis. It just means that they could care less about looking good. If i were you i would ban them from your club and make them buy YOUR tennis apparels.

http://images.putfile.com/smilies/006.gif

Capt. Willie
06-11-2006, 04:48 PM
As for professional matches, I seem to recall also the Jensen Brothers wearing US Soccer Team tops for a doubles match or two. Anyone care to confirm?
Yes, I remember watching them at the US Open years ago wearing jerseys...accept it was American football jerseys. They may have worn soccer/football jerseys at some other time. I thought it was kinda cool. Fit their personalities.

Capt. Willie
06-11-2006, 04:50 PM
And speaking of soccer jerseys, not to drift off subject, has anyone seen the retro TOFFS jerseys? I think they are pretty cool. http://www.toffs.com

diegaa
06-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Dri-fit or not, soccer apparel doesn't belong in tennis. It just means that they could care less about looking good. If i were you i would ban them from your club and make them buy YOUR tennis apparels.

http://images.putfile.com/smilies/006.gif

WTF!! it aint wimbledon, u know?
oh, right, u were kidding........ :rolleyes:

slice bh compliment
06-11-2006, 05:09 PM
...(I work at an indoor tennis club... no cotton tops allowed...).

Seriously, no cotton?

Capt. Willie
06-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Well, they get very hot in the polyester. You know, it's not a natural fibre. I think they would prefer cotton.
Yeah, cotton breathes, you see, it's much softer. Imagine playing a match and you're five degrees cooler than the other guy. Don't you think that would be an advantage? You're cooler, more comfortable...you're happier...you're gonna play better.

slice bh compliment
06-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, they get very hot in the polyester. You know, it's not a natural fibre. I think they would prefer cotton.
Yeah, cotton breathes, you see, it's much softer. Imagine playing a match and you're five degrees cooler than the other guy. Don't you think that would be an advantage? You're cooler, more comfortable...you're happier...you're gonna play better.

Everyone raves about coolmax and drifit and climacool and performa et al.
I have always worn the thinnest cotton pique knits possible (shirts) with mocrofiber shorts. The thought of polyester would give my shoulders a rash (not literally). I finally broke down and bought a half-bagful of shirts in the performance fabrics. I love the light feel and how quickly they dry....but you're right, they are NOT any cooler. In fact, I think I feel cooler in a navy cotton Polo than a white adi-dri. Hmm.

Players, share your knowledge in this. It's summer, and I need to know.

slice bh compliment
06-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Oh, and about the soccer jerseys, I have one without numbers and I'm thinking about gettign more. The one I have is light blue with no advertisements on it. Basically, it is a tennis shirt w/o a collar and it goes with white or blue shorts. I'm a convert (to the polys), BUT, Captain Willie's got me thinking cotton again for the summer.

BTW, is it just me or does anyone else feel poly shirts get clingy when it is cold in the winter?

Andres
06-11-2006, 05:37 PM
anyone??
Saw these cool nike soccer jerseys with "90" on them and have seen some others that look way better that most of the tennis shirts ive seen
Myself. I have a croatian, italian and argentinian jerseys which I use pretty often for tennis :)

oscar_2424
06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
http://secure.iquiero.com/catalog/peru/deportes%5Cimages%5Cdep001_gr.jpg

http://st31.startlogic.com/~omarefer/pics/racing_0.JPG
I use sometimes these 2

slice bh compliment
06-11-2006, 06:46 PM
What's the striped one, Oscar?
Generally, I don't like the huge ads on the front, but those are both really great. The way the stars get together and make a big "M". Cool.

oscar_2424
06-11-2006, 06:50 PM
the light blue and white is from an argentinean club named Racing Club and the other is my country;s tshirt PERU

B-Town Tennis
06-13-2006, 06:39 AM
To each their own. I wear soccer jerseys and other Dri-fit type shirts that I have gotten at various discount stores such as T.J. Max. They are better than playing in cotton t-shirts and doen't bankrupt the budget.

Mr.Federer
06-13-2006, 07:24 AM
The red and green shirt with circled 90 is an awesome shirt.

dmastous
06-13-2006, 07:34 AM
I like the soccer shirts. They are colourful. Wear whatevery you like.
Just don't be wearing those cleats. ;)

diegaa
06-13-2006, 07:35 AM
the light blue and white is from an argentinean club named Racing Club and the other is my country;s tshirt PERU

Jaja, es de river y argentina........ oscar es argentino y gallina! :mrgreen:

diegaa
06-13-2006, 07:39 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006A6R38.01-A8NGTDCMCO53E._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jamaica´s has no competition...

Mike Danger
06-13-2006, 09:34 AM
I like the soccer shirts. They are colourful. Wear whatevery you like.
Just don't be wearing those cleats. ;)

OH, THOSE YOU LIKE:rolleyes:

Django
06-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I gotta say, I think the Dri-Fit and Climacool is MUCH better than plain cotton when it's hot. You may not sweat any less, but at least your sweat does indeed wick away and evaporate. I have noticed, however, that when you play at night or indoors, they stay just as wet as any cotton top.

Django
06-13-2006, 02:27 PM
In addition, nothing says "soccer jersey" quite like the bold striped tops of Argentina, Barcelona, Inter, etc.

Roy
06-14-2006, 02:37 AM
I wear them from time to time during practice. I don't see why not. It's better than wearing pirate pants at least...:)

But, each to their own....

Saito
06-15-2006, 05:32 AM
Seriously, no cotton?

Yup, no cotton, sleeveless, uncovered jogging tops, and tights allowed. We have loaner dri-fit tops.

slice bh compliment
06-15-2006, 08:08 AM
You mean, if someone showed up in microfiber tennis shorts and a white cotton Lacoste that was designed for tennis back before WWII, your staff would stop him, invoke the no cotton rule and loan him a used polyester top?
That is wild, man. If I were a member there, I would probably comply, but I would definitely ask about the reasoning behind the no cotton rule. Who made the rule and why? Board of directors? Pro shop owner/head pro/tennis director?

AceYouVeryMuch
06-15-2006, 10:54 AM
I saw someone at the courts yesterday wearing soccer apparel.

Saito
06-16-2006, 05:09 AM
You mean, if someone showed up in microfiber tennis shorts and a white cotton Lacoste that was designed for tennis back before WWII, your staff would stop him, invoke the no cotton rule and loan him a used polyester top?
That is wild, man. If I were a member there, I would probably comply, but I would definitely ask about the reasoning behind the no cotton rule. Who made the rule and why? Board of directors? Pro shop owner/head pro/tennis director?

Yeah see, now that's an exception. For some odd reason, we allow cotton POLO but not cotton tee. The rules are not only made but the board, but also influenced by the tennis society within the club and my boss, the tennis director. It was a problem for me at first, but I get free poly tops now (free Nike is always good) so it doesn't matter as much.

goober
07-04-2006, 02:19 PM
There are a lot of soccer crews and polos which don't have numbers or words on them and they are indistinguishable from tenniswear in many cases. I have some of these and everybody thinks they are tenniswear.

mowcopian
07-07-2006, 03:59 AM
i dont think using football shirts while playing tennis is good eticet and i would get a shirt in the colour and the make of your own choice.