PDA

View Full Version : had sampras ever choked?

er00si
06-11-2006, 09:00 AM
After seeing too much from Roger Federer, I have to ask...

Indeed, I doubt that any G.O.A.T choked like him when playing Nadal.

Edit:
I am a Fed fan. His game motivated my tennis. Before I know him (03/2005), I am ignorant in tennis. Now, I can play with 3.0/3.5 USTA friends.

My definition of choking.
1) Missing many easy shots CARELESSLY;
2) standing and admiring his own shot instead of moving to the ready position;

Just listen to those commentators in NBC is enough.

Anyway, I've put my words in RF's fan site. "Only Roger can beat himself!" It is a shame that he repeated so many times.

BTW, loss is not a problem, he is human. I love his final in AMS ROME 2006.

Breaker
06-11-2006, 09:04 AM
No but he got outplayed quite a bit more than Federer. But that's still not as bad as completely having a mental breakdown like Federer has time after time with Nadal, his mental toughness will certainly be questioned by fans and players alike heading into Wimbledon.

Gilgamesh
06-11-2006, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't say Fed choked today.

He did come out 6-1 but it seemed like Nadal made his adjustments and just simply outplayed Fed and dowright dominated him for certain stretches the rest of the match.

In their epic Roma match, Fed certainly choked. He should have won that match but couldn't close it out which is unusual.

Today, Fed never had a chance to close out Nadal.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Federer is a lock to win Wimbledon, but his mental toughness wont come into question there since there is nobody to give him a tough enough match for that to happen.

dozu
06-11-2006, 09:21 AM
what mental break down are you talking about... match-up wise Fed is still fighting an uphill battle on the clay against Nadal's leftie game.

in the first set Nadal was a little stiff. the 2nd set Federer lost concentration in that game when he was serving and leading 40-0.

3rd set Fed was a bit unlucky on the 3rd break point when Nadal's ball skid off the line.

4th set you can already feel Nadal had the upper hand after winning the 3rd... and it took Fed a hell of an effort to break when Nadal was serving for the set.

and tie break is anybody's coin toss. You gotta give Nadal enough credit, it's not like Fed just collapsed and handed the match to him. both men played spotty at times, but when the pressure gets high, Nadals name is naturally lower risk, and can always go to Fed's bh when in doubt.

I do agree with Mac when he was talking about Fed needed to change tactics... he definitely needs to be more aggressive, instead of hanging around the baseline, it just doesn't get the job done. and he is not using the drop shots enough...... all the things that were working for him in Rome (drop shots, more net approaches) he didn't execute well today... maybe the heat did get to him.

Psychologically Fed probably has some disadvantage against Nadal, and the ironic thing is that Nadal doesnt get far enough in fast surface tournaments to face Federer so that Fed can have some wins to build confidence on.

Carillo's comments on Nadal winning the Wimby is totally out of line.. you take away Nadal's biggest advantage on clay: lefty spin up to righties bh (low bounce on grass), and his movement (cannot slide on grass), plus his serve is really mediocre, it will be a miracle at this point for him even to make the 2nd week at Wimby.

chiru
06-11-2006, 09:24 AM
i would call this a choke. he missed so many routine shots, and seriously standing like 10 feet behind the baseline off of the nadal 2nd serve? come on roger.

RiosTheGenius
06-11-2006, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't say Fed choked today.

He did come out 6-1 but it seemed like Nadal made his adjustments and just simply outplayed Fed and dowright dominated him for certain stretches the rest of the match.

In their epic Roma match, Fed certainly choked. He should have won that match but couldn't close it out which is unusual.

Today, Fed never had a chance to close out Nadal.
don't waste your time.... these cagones will keep saying that Federer Choke because they always go to the extreme depending on the last match.... if Federer had won today they would be talking about the end of Nadal, retirement of the spaniard and how Federer is God and the new clay beast.

HyperHorse
06-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Sampras choke? no way... when he was in his prime, he was like the Terminator...
the amount of aces he'd hit when down breakpoint was just phenomenal....

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Sampras choke? no way... when he was in his prime, he was like the Terminator...

He would choke alot at the French though.

Hops
06-11-2006, 11:04 AM

yes, I believe he never lost a match, ever. quite amazing.

rod99
06-11-2006, 11:34 AM
people here don't seem to believe that you can lose a match without "choking." federer did not play well today. did he choke? i don't think so. he just didn't play well. he never had a lead after the first set (except briefly at 6-5 in the 4th). nadal was always in control.

in regards to sampras, i don't recall him ever choking. he lost a few matches where he lost due to fatigue (agassi in the '00 aus open semis, kafelnikov in the '96 french semis) but i don't remember him choking.

Chadwixx
06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
After seeing too much from Roger Federer, I have to ask...

Indeed, I doubt that any G.O.A.T choked like him when playing Nadal.

Watch at 5-5 in the 5th vs fed, he chokes.

er00si
06-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, he choked even worse today.

I am speechless.

Watch at 5-5 in the 5th vs fed, he chokes.

Rhino
06-11-2006, 11:49 AM
i would call this a choke. he missed so many routine shots, and seriously standing like 10 feet behind the baseline off of the nadal 2nd serve? come on roger.

Agreed. The fact that he brought the 4th set back to 5-5 despite Nadal playing so well was evidence that he wasn't choking. In fact under the circumstances that 5-4 game was more of a Nadal choke.

chiru
06-11-2006, 11:56 AM
there is such a thing as an off day without choking. i agree that sampras in his prime didnt really choke. he might get outplayed on a certain day but thats not necessarily a choke. a choke is more like just playing stupidly because your mind is under the pressure of something (perhaps the occasion of being in a major final)

AAAA
06-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Until Sampras is in a slam final(French Open) on his weakest surface(clay), we can only guess how he'll react.

Kobble
06-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Sampras had a major weapon with his serve. It is tough to tell if someone chokes when they have so few ways to display it. It is like trying to tell when Ivanisevic choked on his service games, because he went for the line so much anyway. It could just be viewd as an off service game. Plus, no one really expected much on his backhand and return. That is why a big serve is so valuable. When you know just one shot will bail out your bad play, it makes you feel like you are never out of it. If you can hold, and get lucky in a tie-break, you win. Meanwhile, a baseliner who has to work the point knows anything can happen in a tie-break. That is why it is so tough for people without big serves to comeback on a fast surface.