PDA

View Full Version : Who is the true #1 ?

Simon Cowell
06-11-2006, 09:07 AM
There should be a new ranking system or something, because Nadal is quite clearly the best player in the world and it's only a matter of time before he captures the # 1 slot.

Viper
06-11-2006, 09:08 AM
They should make a new system that shows the stupidity of people. I don't know what'd Roger would say but I think you'd be in the top 10.

malakas
06-11-2006, 09:10 AM
They should make a new system that shows the stupidity of people. I don't know what'd Roger would say but I think you'd be in the top 10.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SocalTennis
06-11-2006, 09:10 AM

You would be in there too for your "intelligent answer"

Simon Cowell
06-11-2006, 09:11 AM

1-6, 6-1, 6-4, 7-6 (4), Now go cry in the corner.

vicnan
06-11-2006, 09:11 AM
This is a funny thread.

- an outrageously funny starting post
- a funny put down in the second post
- and a hilarious quote from Roger

Viper
06-11-2006, 09:12 AM

Oh wow, you posted a score. Thats gonna change my mind reeealll quick.

Gilgamesh
06-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Nadal should be #1 on tour after the FO but Fed will be seeded #1 at Wimbleton and most likely reclaim his #1 tour position by the end of the year considering his usual dominance on grass and hardcourts.

Fed is the better overall player but Nadal has beaten Fed four times this season and has equaled Fed's # of GS victories and surpassed Fed's # of tournament victories for the season.

It is one of those unsual circumstances when a #1 on tour isn't really the #1 player in the world.

Of course if Nadal can win more tournaments other than on clay he would further legitimize the argument that he should be #1 on the tour and in public perception.

bluescreen
06-11-2006, 09:13 AM
just because rafa can beat federer doesnt mean he's the world's #1. federer is definately the best on grass and hard court. afterall, federer's only losses lately have come from rafa, while nadal has lost to others, namely james blake.

bluedecember
06-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Nadal is one of the best but not quite the best yet...i think the hype caused fed to loose focus of the issue at hand...he is obssesed with his place in history and his legacy...very disappointed by his unforced errors....but like it or not..he still is the best by a long shot,,,,

vicnan
06-11-2006, 09:14 AM
We've had 2 majors and each player has won one, plus a few other tournaments. May be we should [wait] till the end of the year, or at least [until] all 4 majors are done before saying who is #1.

andyroddick's mojo
06-11-2006, 09:19 AM
fed is better overall
when nadal starts winning like federer on grass and hard courts, then we'll see.

Viper
06-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Let's not make me look ignorant though. Nadal is a monster on clay simple as that. He deserved to win his match today, and I congradulate him doing so. But an excelent clay season won't make up for a terrible grass one, and his trouble in the other majors. Roger has a consistancy and can make the semis and finals easily. Roger also has the slam results to keep him in the no1 sport for a while. I'm not saying that Rafa will NEVER be no.1. But winning this match didn't prove to me that he's gonna fulfill the spot right now.

RiosTheGenius
06-11-2006, 09:21 AM
There should be a new ranking system or something, because Nadal is quite clearly the best player in the world and it's only a matter of time before he captures the # 1 slot.
ok ... so I guess based on this Nalbandian should have been #1 in December when he won the masters cup and Johansson too in 2002 when he "dominated the tour" for two weeks in australia.

threads like this is why they should ban teenagers from this forum

K-kita
06-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Who cares about the grass? that's a **** of surface.

slice bh compliment
06-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Fedi is ahead by a lot of ATP ranking points based on 52 weeks. If this were a race, ytd, it would be awfully close: one slam each, two Master Series each. A couple of small tournament wins each. Roger over Rafa, since Rafa had a semi loss to Clement, a semi loss to Blake and an early round loss to Moya. Rogi has only lost in finals: to Rafa 4 times.

So if there were no points system like in the old days...and sportswriters did the rankings, I believe Rafa would sit at no. 1 right now.

But the year is only half over.

rhubarb
06-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Fedi is ahead by a lot of ATP ranking points based on 52 weeks. If this were a race, ytd, it would be awfully close:.

On year to date, it's 772 to 583, so not really that close. Don't forget that Federer has got to the final of *all* his events this year.

tlm
06-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Nadal is the best this year so far, but there is a lot of tennis left to be played.

JayxTheKoolest
06-11-2006, 10:21 AM

So is clay IMO....

Simon Cowell
06-11-2006, 10:32 AM
ok ... so I guess based on this Nalbandian should have been #1 in December when he won the masters cup and Johansson too in 2002 when he "dominated the tour" for two weeks in australia.

threads like this is why they should ban teenagers from this forum

Rios never won a slam, Gonzalez and Massu never will either! LOL! They lost to the U.S. too in Davis Cup. Damn that must suck! Chile's not even in the world cup either!!

malakas
06-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Rios never won a slam, Gonzalez and Massu never will either! LOL! They lost to the U.S. too in Davis Cup. Damn that must suck! Chile's not even in the world cup either!!

WTF???What that has to do with anything??:confused:
If you try to offend Chile on the basis of sport success then ...I am afraid you will be very dissapointed to know that chile's football is considered much more important and better than USA's..

RiosTheGenius
06-11-2006, 10:42 AM
:lol: .... you are bringing all these things up... ( irrelevancies as for what we're talking about)... thinking that I 'd be deeply offended.

I think you just made an ***** of yourself and made your countrymen look REALLY good . carry on

Simon Cowell
06-11-2006, 10:46 AM
WTF???What that has to do with anything??:confused:
If you try to offend Chile on the basis of sport success then ...I am afraid you will be very dissapointed to know that chile's football is considered much more important and better than USA's..

Chile's football team, I mean soccer team, is not even in the world cup! LOL, for being such a "great football nation", Chile can't even qualify for the world cup. What are they ranked in FIFA by the way? Isn't the USA ranked 4th? That's far above anywhere Chile is..and Soccer isn't even a big deal in the U.S. yet they are still better than Chile. Man that must hurt!

malakas
06-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Chile's football team, I mean soccer team, is not even in the world cup! LOL, for being such a "great football nation", Chile can't even qualify for the world cup. What are they ranked in FIFA by the way? Isn't the USA ranked 4th? That's far above anywhere Chile is..and Soccer isn't even a big deal in the U.S. yet they are still better than Chile. Man that must hurt!

hahaha!!Sorry to say it,but you are very ignorant about football.First of all..according to coca cola fifa rankings USA is ranked 4 and Germany 26!You see according to these rankings it matters much more the number of wins you have in contrary to the importance of your opponents..That's why the USA team is ranked so high.To me USA should be ranked around 30..But they are going to cancel these rankings anyway..
Also,many good teams haven't qualified for the mundial.And it is pretty normal as the teams compete for qualifier groups in geographical zones.Now,in Europe and in South America there are many more teams and many good teams in the same group but they are not going in the mundial in the end.For example Turkey and Greece..
Also,for footbal not being a big sport in USA,well ..that's your choise..You are the ones who miss all the fun!;)

Honestlybad
06-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Nadal - definitely the best in the world ON CLAY.
Federer - the world's best player.

I think Nadal is also better mentally than Fed. I don't think he will do very well on grass thaough. Third round would be a big sucess for him at Wimbeldon. Roger is great EVERYWHERE.

RiosTheGenius
06-11-2006, 11:02 AM
when you qualify playing against Trinidad and Tobago, Honduras, Costa Rica , and Guatemala.... and you have 4 spots to the cup.... c'mon now
while for the same number of spots we get to play argentina, Brasil, Uruguay, Paraguay... all solid teams

you're a real cagón by the way.

blake's fan
06-11-2006, 11:03 AM

I think Nadal is also better mentally than Fed. I don't think he will do very well on grass thaough. Third round would be a big sucess for him at Wimbeldon. Roger is great EVERYWHERE.
Exactly!Nadal is the best on clay but this doesn't make him the best tennis player!To be the best you must be numer 1 on all surfaces or at least on half of them and that is certainly Federer at the moment!

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 11:04 AM
hahaha!!Sorry to say it,but you are very ignorant about football.First of all..according to coca cola fifa rankings USA is ranked 4 and Germany 26!You see according to these rankings it matters much more the number of wins you have in contrary to the importance of your opponents..That's why the USA team is ranked so high.To me USA should be ranked around 30..But they are going to cancel these rankings anyway..
Also,many good teams haven't qualified for the mundial.And it is pretty normal as the teams compete for qualifier groups in geographical zones.Now,in Europe and in South Africa there are many more teams and many good teams in the same group but they are not going in the mundial in the end.For example Turkey and Greece..
Also,for footbal not being a big sport in USA,well ..that's your choise..You are the ones who miss all the fun!;)

We will see in this World Cup that the U.S is no World #4. The rankings are a joke in soccer.

You are also right on Turkey and Greece. The World Cup bronze medalists in 2002 and Euro Cup Champs of 2004 are not even going! That says something.

oscar_2424
06-11-2006, 11:20 AM
He still has to improve on lawn and hardcourts, but i think he has game to become the number 1, but as today the number one spot belongs to Federer

LowProfile
06-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Federer is #1 on grass, #1 on hardcourts, #1 on carpet, and #2 on clay.

Nadal is #1 on clay, #2-4 on hardcourts and carpet, and #93 on grass.

Who's the true number one?

Zeph
06-11-2006, 11:26 AM
You are a ****** simon.

Nadal has yet to win a major besides the french.

Once nadal has won all three other majors like fed i may agree.

Rhino
06-11-2006, 11:35 AM

This is correct and indefensible.
People are maybe a bit caught up in the moment and have forgotten all the other results that are required to be number one.

Koaske
06-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Nadal may be the best clay court player but he does get beaten on hard courts and especially on grass. On the other hand Federer reaches the finals of every tournament no matter what the surface. If Nadal can't do well in Wimbledon, it's going to be hard for him to get enough points to get past Federer.

BabolatFan
06-11-2006, 11:52 AM

The best player in the world? I'm sure you've only watched this year's FO and jumped to conclusion. Ok he beat Federer this year again. Now after Wimbledon, hardcourt season starts and Nadal's gotta prove he can get some wins there too. Undoubtedly, Nadal's the king of clay. However, not so impressive on hardcourt...lost to James Blake twice at 2005 USO and 2006 PacificLife. I wonder if he can beat Roddick on hardcourt. Hehe...

Buuurnz
06-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Federer is #1 on grass, #1 on hardcourts, #1 on carpet, and #2 on clay.

Nadal is #1 on clay, #2-4 on hardcourts and carpet, and #93 on grass.

Who's the true number one?

definitely right man!

Eviscerator
06-11-2006, 12:32 PM

Your post makes no sense in that one second you are calling for a different system, then in the same breath you are saying Nadal will overtake Federer in that same system given time. :rolleyes:

The reason Federer is ranked #1 has notihng to do with his recent head to head record agasinst Nadal, which represents only a small number of the matches either of them play during the course of a year.

yo_3133
06-11-2006, 02:14 PM
6-0 6-0 6-0 on wimby..............................oh damn i forgot, NADAL WONT GO FURTHER THAN 2ND ROUND!!!!!!!

tlm
06-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Nadal has 2 GS at 20 years old,that is 2 more than fed had at that age.The next 6 years will be interesting.

bluescreen
06-11-2006, 02:33 PM
yes he has 2 majors won already, but only on clay. he really doesnt have a realistic chance at winning any other slam right now, so let him get his roland garros win every year while fed gets his 2-3.

HollerOne5
06-11-2006, 02:39 PM
yes he has 2 majors won already, but only on clay. he really doesnt have a realistic chance at winning any other slam right now, so let him get his roland garros win every year while fed gets his 2-3.

Anyone who can't see that Nadal can definitely win the Australian Open is a looney

oscar_2424
06-11-2006, 02:40 PM
when you qualify playing against Trinidad and Tobago, Honduras, Costa Rica , and Guatemala.... and you have 4 spots to the cup.... c'mon now
while for the same number of spots we get to play argentina, Brasil, Uruguay, Paraguay... all solid teams

Dont forget Peru!!:)

Andres
06-11-2006, 02:44 PM

Cagón y Pechofrío, indeed :)

tlm
06-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I believe that nadal can win the AO,which by the way fed was lucky nadal was injured this year.I also believe nadal can win the us open,i dont think he can win on the grass.

Lets see how the us open series goes this summer,i have a feeling nadal is going to make a big move up.

d_frank
06-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Grass is better than clay ;)

slice bh compliment
06-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I believe that nadal can win the AO,which by the way fed was lucky nadal was injured this year.I also believe nadal can win the us open,i dont think he can win on the grass.

Lets see how the us open series goes this summer,i have a feeling nadal is going to make a big move up.

Re: the 2006 Oz Open -- Injuries are part of the gig. Good thing the kid healed up nicely. The past two months have been amazing.

I agree Nadal will gain good ground in North America and even on the indoor courts in Madrid and Paris this fall. Then there's Shanghai. If both guys stay healthy there may be up to 8 or 9 Fed/Nadal matches this year!

At what point would the public get bored of these two?

tlm
06-11-2006, 03:14 PM
I dont think the public will get bored of these two,because now there is someone to challenge fed.

The last few years of fed having no competition is what is boring.

Breaker
06-11-2006, 03:16 PM
But Fed will have no competition for the rest of the year most likely, which pretty much puts the so called "rivalry" on hold until the Aussie Open next year, if Nadal doesn't injure himself again.

ATXtennisaddict
06-11-2006, 03:21 PM

LMAO this you say during the claycourt season. Now we move to the grass and hardcourt season and we won't be seeing you and this topic much. ;)

exruda
06-11-2006, 03:22 PM
At what point would the public get bored of these two?
I'm afraid all the Nadal-Fed rivalry hype only adds to people getting bored more quickly with a matchup that has happened only 7 times over the last 3 years -- in each and every tournament that they both participate in, the talk about their match begins even before the first round, and thus the overwhelming amount of "these two" everywhere :)

The Pusher Terminator
06-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm afraid all the Nadal-Fed rivalry hype only adds to people getting bored more quickly with a matchup that has happened only 7 times over the last 3 years -- in each and every tournament that they both participate in, the talk about their match begins even before the first round, and thus the overwhelming amount of "these two" everywhere :)

Actually what happens in each and every tournamemnt that they participate in Nadal almost always wins.

exruda
06-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Actually what happens in each and every tournamemnt that they participate in Nadal almost always wins.
Actually what happens is that Nadal won 4 and lost 2 and it ain't over yet, no more big clay tournaments this year :)

skip1969
06-11-2006, 04:02 PM
this thread is a trip.

1. "There should be a new ranking system?" well, the only way nadal could be number 1 would be if the new ranking system rated clay court wins over all others. like people have said, the year ain't over. there's still a whole lot ot tennis to play, and a WHOLE lot for nadal to prove, before he can even think about claiming to be the world's best.
plus simon, if you're going to argue for a new ranking system (which is cool) . . . for pete's sake DON'T use the FIFA rankings to prove your point. :D nobody understands them. and what's more, nobody even CARES about them (except the old, white guys who run FIFA). they aren't just irrelevent (in terms of ranking the world's national football teams) . . . . they're ridiculous! i don't think even the americans actually believe they're the 4th best team in the world cup. unless they're high.

2. "Who cares about the grass?" only the handful of players who will be trying to win that little tournament they're holding in london in a couple of weeks. what's it called again??

3. "People are maybe a bit caught up in the moment and have forgotten all the other results that are required to be number one." now THAT makes some sense. number 1 means that you're better than EVERYONE on the tour, not just better than roger federer (on clay).

4. "The reason Federer is ranked #1 has notihng to do with his recent head to head record agasinst Nadal, which represents only a small number of the matches either of them play during the course of a year." cha-CHING! give that man a cupie doll. and we can start talking about who's number 1 for 2006 in november.

5. "Fed will have no competition for the rest of the year most likely . . ." i'm sure messrs blake, roddick, nalbandian, nadal, et al. will have something to say about that. each of them have something to prove, just like roger does. they ain't just gonna roll over for him.

jukka1970
06-11-2006, 04:20 PM

Well I agreed with half of your post, up to the point until you mentioned Nadal is the best player in the world. Dude time for the drug rehab clinic if you believe that.

Lets just look at the ATP points coming into the French Open, as of June 12 of this year Federer was 2500 points ahead of Nadal. Yes Nadal won the french open, but Federer was the runner up, so he makes even less points on this French open then he did last year when he beat Federer in the Semis.

And the next court season is grass, and sorry but Nadal is still having many problems on grass. Federer will start the division of points yet again as he goes through the next few tournaments.

As far as the part that I do agree with. I would like to see the points put into categories. Basically the four surfaces of the opens. Clay, Grass, Hardcourt, and since the Australian Opens surface is kind of unique, maybe carpet can be the 4th one. Then give equal weight to each section. This way we'll not only know who's dominating a surface, but I think it'll show even more who should be in the number 1 spot.

David L
06-11-2006, 04:32 PM

I don't know if you were among them, but I recall earlier in the year, some people felt put out when Ljubicic said, based on results so far this year, he felt like the No.2. Anyone that took issue with this at the time, because the entry ranking had Nadal at No.2, and are now complaining about the very same ranking system, should look up the word hypocrite in the dictionary.

simi
06-11-2006, 04:36 PM
According to the 12-month rolling rankings:

At the start of this calendar year, Federer earned 6725 points in 19 tournaments. He increased his point total since the beginning of the year by 390 points.

Meanwhile, Nadal started the year with 4765 ranking points earned in 24 tournaments. In his "coming of age" year, he increased his point total by a whoping 3990 points.

That makes a difference between Federer and Nadal of 1960 ranking points.

Since the beginning of this season (year), up to the beginning of the French Open tournament, Federer has increased his point total by 285 additional points in 18 tournaments for a total of 7010 ranking points while Nadal has lost 220 points this year in 20 tournaments giving a total of 4545 ranking points, a difference of 2490 points.

There are some who will argue that Nadal was coming back from an injury at the beginning of this year, so let's count from the beginning of the clay court season, which started with the Valencia/Houston tournaments.

At that time (April 10th), Federer earned 6935 points over 18 tournaments for a gain of 210 ranking points since the start of the year. Nadal, at that time, earned 4545 ranking points in 20 tournaments for a net loss of 220 points.

What has happened since, during the clay court season? These numbers include the French Open results, but won't be posted on the ************ site until later tonight or tomorrow morning.

This is what happened during this clay court season, from the Valencia/Houston tournaments to the end of the French Open tournament, the "traditional" clay court season:

As of the beginning of the French Open tournament, as mentioned above, Federer earned 7010 ranking points. His French Open semi-final points drop off from last year, but he gains final points this week. That yields a net gain of 250 ranking points, (-450+700). In addition, he also loses his Halle points this year, only 45 points for winning that tournament last year. His net point total this week, after the "clay court season" will be 7215 ranking points.

Meanwhile, Nadal only defended his existing French Open points and does not gain any this week. In fact, he loses one point from the Halle tournament that falls off this week because he lost in the first round last year to the German wild card entry, Alexander Waske. His ranking points tonight/tomorrow will most likely be (unless my math is off) 4544 ranking points.

This makes a current difference between Federer and Nadal of 2671 ranking points.

All of this is to say is that since the beginning of the current year, the 12-month rolling ranking points difference was "only" 1960 ranking points. At the beginning of the clay court season, the difference was 2390 ranking points. At the conclusion of the clay court season, the difference has grown to 2671 ranking points.

The way I see it, even on Nadal's best surface (clay), Federer is continuing to increase his ranking points difference between him and Nadal. Clearly, Federer is still the best in the game, (this year). The only way this is going to change is if Federer goes into a prolonged slump and/or Nadal starts performing on surfaces other than clay.

Who is the true #1? This week, it's still Roger Federer.

But . . . Nadal is #1 at the French Open Grand Slam tournament.

christo
06-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Your user name explains a LOT! Actually made me chuckle BEFORE I read your post, afterwards I laughed even more. Nice try though.

exruda
06-11-2006, 04:54 PM
The rankings are out and it's Fed at 7035 and Nadal at 4545.

simi -- yes, you did make a couple of errors (Halle is not 45 race points but 225 entry points and Nadal's one point was not in the best of five others) :)

Just hoping federer will win Halle again and establish a new record.

simi
06-11-2006, 05:05 PM

simi -- yes, you did make a couple of errors (Halle is not 45 race points but 225 entry points and Nadal's one point was not in the best of five others) :)

Thanks for the correction. You're right about Halle and Nadal. I should have just waited for the ranking to be posted.

But to analyze Federer's growing point total gap: it is only due to him playing so well on clay this year, not because Nadal is playing not so well on other surfaces. We've probably seen just about as wide of a gap as we are going to see. Fed has a lot of points to defend, and (hopefully) Nadal will step up on other surfaces other than clay. Tennis could use a real "horse race".

- - - - -

p.s. What is the record? For ranking points?

slice bh compliment
06-11-2006, 05:12 PM
... Tennis could use a real "horse race"..

Yeah. The general sports fan thinks there is a battle for #1, and that Nadal's probably winning it.

Sidenote: the ATP just got rid of the champion's race. They knew it was confusing to the casual observer. And any impact it had was thwarted by RF's ridonkulous lead.

Well, things will get closer if Nadal stays healthy and does well this summer. And if someone beats RF, or if he takes a few weeks off here and there just to stay injury-free (one of which is bound to happen at some point).

BabolatFan
06-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Roger Federer is #1. Yeah baby yeah!

LowProfile
06-11-2006, 05:20 PM

Wait. Did Federer withdraw from Halle? I couldn't find anything that said this (or otherwise either).

simi
06-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Wait. Did Federer withdraw from Halle? I couldn't find anything that said this (or otherwise either).

He would establish a new record because the Halle points have already dropped off. Assuming he wins again, he would get whatever points he earns added back on to his total.

Don't know if she was blowing smoke, but Mary Carillo said during the broadcast today that Federer has a 3:00 p.m. practice session booked on one of the practice courts at Halle tomorrow (Monday).

slice bh compliment
06-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Federer is getting "better" than Nadal.
Hmmm, I like the quotation marks, Simi.

He's increasing his lead in terms of aTp points. Yes.

Getting closer to beating Nadal. Sure, that was true of the faster courts and different balls in Rome.

But he's got to be a pretty introspective and unpleasant cat right now....on his way to Halle. Hopefully he reads this and takes solace in his 'bigger lead' and his 'dominance'.

superman1
06-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Federer is easily the #1 player in that he's the most consistent on all surfaces, but Nadal has proven that he is the tougher player and the bigger fighter out there. If this trend continues, Federer could never be considered the GOAT. Laver and Sampras could always find a way to win no matter who the opponent was. If you put Sampras in Federer's shoes, I'd expect he'd be on overdrive in this match and just pull a Michael Jordan on Nadal and smash everything at net.

He's not going to beat Nadal anytime soon if he just slouches around while Nadal jumps up and down and sprints up and down the court. He'll have to take a page out of Agassi's book and start having a sense of urgency about each point. Open those eyes wide and pounce on the returns. His game does not work on Nadal, so he needs to change it.

Simon Cowell
06-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Some of you are quite delusional. Nadal will win the Australian and French Open from now on, that's a lock. In due time he will develop a better game for the grass and faster hardcourts and claim what is rightfully his, the number 1 ranking. If you want to talk G.O.A.T, start mentioning Nadal, not Federderderder.

BabolatFan
06-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Some of you are quite delusional. Nadal will win the Australian and French Open from now on, that's a lock. In due time he will develop a better game for the grass and faster hardcourts and claim what is rightfully his, the number 1 ranking. If you want to talk G.O.A.T, start mentioning Nadal, not Federderderder.

Absolutely unfair statement! You should've said that you're the delusional one.

Rickson
06-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Nadal is currently the best clay player by a small margin over guys like Federer and Coria, but to say that he's the true number 1 is garbage. Nadal isn't a bad hard court player, but there are way too many guys in the ATP who could beat him on hard and as for grass, Nadal has a long way to go before he could compete with the top players. If tennis were played on clay and only clay, Nadal would currently be number 1, but because Nadal isn't even close to the best on hard courts and grass, he'll have to settle for number 2 because of the clay points he accumulates.

RiosTheGenius
06-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Cagón y Pechofrío, indeed :)
leiste lo que me dijo el cagón ese antes???..... es un payaso.

exruda
06-12-2006, 02:51 AM
I should have just waited for the ranking to be posted.

On the contrary, some objective observer has to check if they do it correctly :)

to see. Fed has a lot of points to defend, and (hopefully) Nadal will step up on other surfaces other than clay. Tennis could use a real "horse race".

sure, Fed has the two slams to defend, but he skipped three of the four autumn MS last year, and Nadal participated in 3 (won 2)

p.s. What is the record? For ranking points?
7275, established by Fed on Jan 30, 2006. So my bad this time, even with Halle Fed does not have a chance to break it before the USO series :)

MatchpointServe
06-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Come on Simon, can you honestly say Nadal is the best? Yes, he's a very good tennis player, probably the current best on clay, but you've got to be kidding me when you say that Nadal is the overall best tennis player in the world. As for Grand Slams, he's won the French Open, and that's it. And of course we all know that the french open is clay. But Simon, why hasn't Nadal won any of the other Grand slams? Or even made it to the finals, for that matter?

Fedexeon
06-12-2006, 03:22 AM

In your dream :)
You know what is a lock? You have a penis and thats a lock
But Nadal will win Australian Open is a lock? Get out from your illusion
Nadal does have the game to win Australian Open, but we will see.
May be your dreams can predict future?

Rhino
06-12-2006, 03:36 AM
It's funny how people are questioning whether Federer is the true number 1.
Since February 2004 nobody has questioned it until now, and yet Federer is doing better than ever before in the majors.

Last year by this time he'd only made the semis of the Australian and the semis of the French, but this year he's Won the Australian and made the Final of the French, plus he bagged the Indian Wells + Miami double again (events where Nadal was present) and made the final of Monte-Carlo for the first time - in fact made the final of every single event he's entered!!!!

He currently holds three out of the four majors and was runner-up in the other.
Nadal currently holds one major. Exited Wimby round 2, and US Open round 3.
It's pretty obvious who's number 1.

brucie
06-12-2006, 03:49 AM
The atp race shows players on form currently, in anking point fed was double him and still a lot more sure nadals head to head may be good, but just because he has defended his title twice does not make him great! For iinstance henin has done what nadal did- without dropping any sets, fed 3 in a row at wimbledon going for 4- quite possible! Borg 4 in a row Laver- completed grandslam.

Note that what henin has done has her labled as current #1 clay couter, what nadal has done lables him #1 clay courter ever possibly! BUt it stops there lets not get too excited!

If final at wimbledon or any other slam is fed and nadal comes and nadal wins sure this post may need editing but just at the moment i dont see that happening.

PS Love the way this thread started. Haha, good laugh!

AndrewD
06-12-2006, 04:26 AM
Laver and Sampras could always find a way to win no matter who the opponent was. If you put Sampras in Federer's shoes, I'd expect he'd be on overdrive in this match and just pull a Michael Jordan on Nadal and smash everything at net.

And shockingly, despite always finding a way to win - no matter who the opponent was- Sampras never did win or make it to the final of the French Open.

Count Grishnackh
06-12-2006, 04:54 AM
2 words, Fed sucks.

leolo
06-12-2006, 05:15 AM
Let's not make me look ignorant though. Nadal is a monster on clay simple as that. He deserved to win his match today, and I congradulate him doing so. But an excelent clay season won't make up for a terrible grass one, and his trouble in the other majors. Roger has a consistancy and can make the semis and finals easily. Roger also has the slam results to keep him in the no1 sport for a while. I'm not saying that Rafa will NEVER be no.1. But winning this match didn't prove to me that he's gonna fulfill the spot right now.

a grass season ?

you can be serious about that ...

there is no such a thing

8PAQ
06-12-2006, 05:20 AM

Sure Nadal is a lock to win AO. Just like he did slow hardcourt titles in Miami and Indian Wells this year. Oh wait no he didn't!

gery
06-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Why is Nadal the best player on the world?

Can Nadal play on clay? Yes!
Can Federer play on clay? Yes!
Can Nadal play on grass? No!
Can Federer play on grass? Yes!
Can Nadal play on hard? No!
Can Federer play on hard? Yes!
Can Nadal play on carpet? No!
Can Federer play on carpet? Yes, he can!

Federer is the most ccomplete player on the world!

Bill Tilden
06-12-2006, 06:32 AM
Nadal is the number one in a ranking of two players. This is all:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

urban
06-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Maybe, just maybe Federer is not the perfect player, as fans and press are believing he is. Maybe he should not hear always the accolades and show a bit of humility and work on his game. There is room for improvement, on the backhand, on the offensive game, even on his serve, which has lost some of its sting lately. From the match i saw at RG, a really fit Ancic may be in with a chance on grass, if his serve is running. Also Tursunov or Safin could be dangeraous at Wimbledon. It is a shame, that Pim-Pim ist still out. His serve could be a real weapon on grass.

David L
06-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Maybe, just maybe Federer is not the perfect player, as fans and press are believing he is. Maybe he should not hear always the accolades and show a bit of humility and work on his game. There is room for improvement, on the backhand, on the offensive game, even on his serve, which has lost some of its sting lately. From the match i saw at RG, a really fit Ancic may be in with a chance on grass, if his serve is running. Also Tursunov or Safin could be dangeraous at Wimbledon. It is a shame, that Pim-Pim ist still out. His serve could be a real weapon on grass.

Latest news. Sure I just heard that Ancic has pulled out of Wimbledon with an injury. Source was Sue Barker during Stella Artois commentary, just now.

Also, there is no such thing as the perfect player. Federer, however, appears to be the closest thing we have seen to a complete player. Stich, Pioline were also good allrounders regarding technical skill, but they did not post the same results. Sampras was pretty complete, but struggled on clay. Agassi won majors on all surfaces, but cannot volley well for a pro. Federer is not perfect, but he is competitive on all surfaces and can play all the strokes upto a high level, he has even invented a few. You give good advice though. He should not become complacent or content and should continue to improve his abilities.

ksbh
06-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Couldn't agree more. All talk centers around Nadal and Fed. Other players are rarely discussed. The trend is observed in this forum as well. Most threads are dedicated to Nadal & Fed.

You would think there are only 2 players on the ATP tour.

skip1969
06-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Couldn't agree more. All talk centers around Nadal and Fed. Other players are rarely discussed. The trend is observed in this forum as well. Most threads are dedicated to Nadal & Fed.

You would think there are only 2 players on the ATP tour.
exactly. i love how people on here talk about fed is a "lock" to win this slam and nadal is a "lock" to win that slam . . . as if no one else exists. last time i checked, there were a few hundred men in the atp tour. and so far as i know, the four majors aren't just gonna start handing their trophies to fed and nadal just for showing up. trophies still have to be won, and fed and nadal still have plenty of opposition out there. in fact, my feeling is that the rest of the year will hold many more challenges for both players than the first six months of the year have. they may be #1 and #2, but they still have a lot of improving to do. start looking over your shoulders, boys.

ksbh
06-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Good post Skip. I concur.

exactly. i love how people on here talk about fed is a "lock" to win this slam and nadal is a "lock" to win that slam . . . as if no one else exists. last time i checked, there were a few hundred men in the atp tour. and so far as i know, the four majors aren't just gonna start handing their trophies to fed and nadal just for showing up. trophies still have to be won, and fed and nadal still have plenty of opposition out there. in fact, my feeling is that the rest of the year will hold many more challenges for both players than the first six months of the year have. they may be #1 and #2, but they still have a lot of improving to do. start looking over your shoulders, boys.

Tennis_Goodness
06-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Federer is by far the best playing in the world. Nadal is good but he's hasn't shown he can win a slam outside of the French Open. Federer can win them all!

Tchocky
06-12-2006, 10:39 AM

Nadal is better than Federer in head to head matchups but Federer is clearly better than everyone else. Tennis isn't like boxing where if one guy beats the champion then he becomes the new champion. Tennis has a ranking system and Federer is the clear leader. The only way Nadal can become number one is to accumulate more points than Roger. I hope you can see the flaws in your argument.

rlbjr
06-12-2006, 11:01 AM
I think the original poster has the right idea.

Fed can't beat Nadal, so Nadal is the better player.

Ndal is number one.

But wait,

Nadal can' beat James Blake.

James Blake is number one.

Finally, an american back at the top of the rankings.

As it should be.

Andres
06-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Federer is by far the best playing in the world. Nadal is good but he's hasn't shown he can win a slam outside of the French Open. Federer can win them all!
No, Federer can't win them all... Federer can't win FO, while Nadal is around :)

tlm
06-12-2006, 02:02 PM
The reason people only talk about fed+ nadal is because the rest of the field sucks.I know you fed lovers like to talk about these players like they are good but they are not.

Fed has been great the last couple of years,but he has been lucky the mens field is weak.Now we finally have someone to give fed competition+he melts like a candle.

So those of you that want to say fed is the best ever are dreaming.The best in any sport play thier best when it counts, against the best.

Not tremble+choke the way fed has done this year time+time again against nadal!

prostaff18
06-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Nadal should be the number one when hell freezes. Federer is the best player in the world. Nadal is a great clay player, thats it. Didn't Fed's lead get bigger anyway because he made it farther than last year and won points, but Nadal just got the same amount as last year.

dh003i
06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Maybe he [Federer] should not hear always the accolades and show a bit of humility and work on his game. There is room for improvement, on the backhand, on the offensive game, even on his serve, which has lost some of its sting lately.

Do you really think Federer doesn't show humility? I disagree with that.

Also, do you really think he doesn't work on his game? What do you call his all-out assault on the clay-court season this year? He quite clearly improved his game on clay.

I agree, there is definately room for improvement -- especially backhand against high balls -- but Federer is the most complete tennis player in the game today, period. Arguably the most complete tennis player in history.

tlm
06-12-2006, 02:23 PM
That shows what a joke the ranking system in tennis is.Nadal wins 5 titles,fed wins 4,they each win a GS.Nadal beats fed in 4 finals+fed gains ground.That makes a lot of sense.

No other sport do you carry over points from the previous years,every new year you should start clean.Like i said before 2 years ago lindsey davenport was #1+she didnt win a GS,or beat the williams sisters.

The williams were ranked below her even though they won most of the GS.This proves tennis rankings are screwed up!

tlm
06-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Ya the most complete player ever+he chokes over+over against nadal!

exruda
06-12-2006, 02:25 PM
No other sport do you carry over points from the previous years,every new year you should start clean.
There's the Race ranking for this purpose: Fed 1st at 772, Nadal 2nd at 584

dh003i
06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
That shows what a joke the ranking system in tennis is.Nadal wins 5 titles,fed wins 4,they each win a GS.Nadal beats fed in 4 finals+fed gains ground.That makes a lot of sense.

No other sport do you carry over points from the previous years,every new year you should start clean.Like i said before 2 years ago lindsey davenport was #1+she didnt win a GS,or beat the williams sisters.

The williams were ranked below her even though they won most of the GS.This proves tennis rankings are screwed up!

The only joke is your post.

Federer has gotten to every final of every event he's entered this year. He's improved upon his results over last year. Also, it is fair that points roll foward from year to year, as there is no "tennis season". Tennis -- as McEnroe laments -- is year-round, and has no offseason. Hence, it is perfectly fair to roll things forward from the previous year.

Also, Federer is ahead in Race Points.

Sorry, you lose.

simi
06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
That shows what a joke the ranking system in tennis is....

No other sport do you carry over points from the previous years,every new year you should start clean.

How would you propose to seed players in the first month or two of a new year? At the Australian Open? The 12-month rolling ranking system serves such purpose now. Every tournament, except for AELTC, uses the 12-month ranking to determine seeds. The year-to-date system's primary purpose is to determine who qualifies for the season ending championships.

Honest question . . . what other sports use a tourmament single-elimination structure throughout the year, from the very beginning of the year/season, and how do they determine seeds?

exruda
06-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Honest question . . . what other sports use a tourmament single-elimination structure throughout the year, from the very beginning of the year/season, and how do they determine seeds?
Snooker does, and I believe all tournaments in the 2005/2006 season were structured by the 2004/2005 ranking (but that 2004/2005 ranking was a weighed sum of some previous year's results, too, so it's more complicated). There's a different seeding system, though; the higher the rank, the less rounds a player has to play (something like the byes in tennis draws but on multiple levels)

JayxTheKoolest
06-12-2006, 02:38 PM
dear god, the ranking system is fine

tlm
06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
To seed players at the beginning of the year i agree,but to carry all these points
over years past to stay at #1 is not right.

If fed was hurt for the rest of this year+next year wouldnt he still be #1?That makes a lot of sense.

Hey dhoo3i,you are the joke,fed has gotten to every final he has entered this year.Ya+nadal has beaten him in 4 of them,fed has not beat him this year.

Thats the joke,you boys can dream about your points,but it is now nadal6-fed1.That is the real stat,it makes you cry doesnt it.

I bet in your worst nightmares you never imagined your god going down to the kid named nadal in 4 straight finals.

Fed is the best of all time+ he crumbles under pressure,get serious the real greats come through not choke like fed does!He looked like a scared little wimp out there yesterday,what a disgrace.

RiosTheGenius
06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
ok .. this Simon Cowell newbie needs to go back to play outside with the rest of the children and hopefully never post again

MasterTS
06-12-2006, 04:06 PM
The real top 10:

1.) Nadal
2.) Federer
3.) Hewitt
4.) Nalbandian
5.) Ljubicic
6.) Blake
7.) Gasquet
8.) Roddick
9.) Coria
10.) Stepanek

RiosTheGenius
06-12-2006, 05:07 PM
The real top 10:

1.) Nadal
2.) Federer
3.) Hewitt
4.) Nalbandian
5.) Ljubicic
6.) Blake
7.) Gasquet
8.) Roddick
9.) Coria
10.) Stepanek
I'm sorry but this is stupid. can you tell me what is Coria and Gasquet doing there???.... Gasquet hasn't won anything in a long time, and Coria has lost in first round of the last 4 tournaments he's played..
while you are excluding Ancic and Davydenko. I haven't paid much attention to Ancic's game lately, but Davydenko has been much more solid than Coria or Gasquet... so I don't know where you come from with this.
as for Nadal being #1.... I don't know man, cuz if Nadal borrows all Roddick's points he still doesn't catch Federer. so you are very wrong there too.

Federer 7035 pts
Nadal 4545 pts

..... Federer is clearly the #1 player and will be for quite awhile.

stoneagle
06-12-2006, 05:40 PM
clay,grass,hard,carpet, i don't think it makes a difference on
nadal's game. his "power and speed" is always there that doesn't diminish.
so, i don't think the court surface matters it's his power and ball speed
and spin that makes nadal hard to beat.

127mph
06-12-2006, 05:49 PM
hope you fools know we are only half way through the season.

LowProfile
06-14-2006, 05:13 PM
The real top 10:

1.) Nadal
2.) Federer
3.) Hewitt
4.) Nalbandian
5.) Ljubicic
6.) Blake
7.) Gasquet
8.) Roddick
9.) Coria
10.) Stepanek

You have no idea what you are talking about.

tennisjunkiela
06-14-2006, 08:11 PM

my sentiments exactly!

OrangeOne
06-14-2006, 08:25 PM
If Nadal plays well enough for a year, he'll assume the Number 1 spot. It's a well known fact that the Number 1 ranking in tennis represents averaged performance over the last year.

IMHO, it's a much smarter idea than having the race be the real "number 1", which would mean that a hardcourter would normally start the year number 1, and then clay-courters would stack the top-ten, and then and then....

David L
06-14-2006, 08:36 PM

In fact, points from the previous year are carried over in all individual sports, where there is any kind of ranking system. This is the only way people can be placed, at the start of the year and seeded at events.

Also, even if, in this instance, we ignored last year's results, Federer would still be ahead on points. He has 4 wins(among them, 1 Grand Slam and 2 Masters Series) and 4 final finishes(among them, 1 Grand Slam and 2 Masters series). Nadal has 5 wins(among them, 1 Grand Slam and 2 Master Series) and 3 early exits(2nd rnd Masters Series, and 2 semis, one of which was a Masters Series event).

On this years results alone, Nadal would still be about 1000 points behind Federer.

tennis4ever
06-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Ya the most complete player ever+he chokes over+over against nadal!

Whatever...do you think anyone here is swayed by your rants about Federer? I, for one, actually feel sorry for you. You're just sad.

brucie
06-15-2006, 01:55 AM
The real top 10:

1.) Nadal
2.) Federer
3.) Hewitt
4.) Nalbandian
5.) Ljubicic
6.) Blake
7.) Gasquet
8.) Roddick
9.) Coria
10.) Stepanek

The word stupid does not reflect the lack of intelligance from this post!

We already have a real top 10 and federer is #1 how can you then say the real top ten is Nadal #1, when there is already a real top ten, ranking exist for a reason!

superman1
06-15-2006, 02:02 AM
You can tell how ridiculous that top 10 is by the presence of Hewitt, Coria and Gasquet, all of whom have had **** poor results this year. Hewitt may be making a resurgence, but he has a ways to go to be considered a top player again.