PDA

View Full Version : Today Tennis Wins!

jackson vile
06-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Today we will see many extremes of how people feel from great hatred to pure nirvana.

We have seen a great rivalry being born, the worlds #1 is no longer unbeatable, and is proven to be human.

While an underdog has exploded on to the scene fighting through unimaginable preassures, odds, and hatred from people on the aposing side.

No matter who you are, you have to smile and think that now, now tennis has something that it has been missing. Now things are much less predictable, everyone has somone to believe in.

Roger played some of the best and worst tennis ever, Nadal did the same.

We saw that Roger still has room for improvement, and that Nadal has made amazing improvements, showing that he is not one dimensional, rather he has a very rich game. Nadal showed us today that he has been working very hard and smart to achieve his future goal, the FO being just the begining for him.

Nadal had an amazing up hill battle at this years FO,but that is nothing new to him. He has had to fight for every little win, people always counting him out and attempting to downplay him.

Nadal journey to greatness will be greatly more difficult than Roger's.

I love seeing the impossbile done, Nadal fight for everything and thus has earned it, I can relate to that life and so can others.

Gilgamesh
06-11-2006, 09:32 AM
We have seen a great rivalry being born, the worlds #1 is no longer unbeatable, and is proven to be human.

On clay yes but Fed was always beatable on clay...it would be interesting to see if Fed and Nadal can match up at the US Open later this year considering I believe Nadal has an edge on their hardcourt matchups.

jackson vile
06-11-2006, 09:34 AM
On clay yes but Fed was always beatable on clay...it would be interesting to see if Fed and Nadal can match up at the US Open later this year considering I believe Nadal has an edge on their hardcourt matchups.

No also on hard court and the one win of Roger's very very very close. You are right, I want to see just how far Nadal can take this.

Who knows, but what I do know is that Nadal has proven everyone wrong time and time agian.

Heck even I was wrong about Nadal at the begining, I was wrong and admire his feats.

Nadal is the people champion!

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 09:41 AM
This thread is funny, you must be nadalgirl26.

jackson vile
06-11-2006, 09:42 AM
i think we are very blessed to such great players going for history at the same time!! How can you not like fed with unbelievably sick talent? and how can you not like rafa - a 20 year kid with the heart of a lion! and both of them are total class acts to top things off!! but please give nadal his props - he's just got roger's number for right now, on clay and hard courts.

I think this is one of the best quotes I have ever read, you are 100% right, today we all win:mrgreen:

snark
06-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Yes, Nadal has arrived. Now he has to raise his level of play on hard court to be able to consistently beat players like Blake and Ljubicic. He still have a long way to go, but nobody can doubt he is the real number 2 now and the undoubted champion on clay.

Federer, on the other hand, has yet to overcome a great obstacle to greatness. He will need to beat Nadal at the FO to be considered above someone like Sampras.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 09:44 AM

Yeah the U.S and Australian Opens will be intersting. Federer is a lock at Wimbledon, where Nadal will lose in the 2nd or 3rd round. However the hard court slams will be interesting to see. You are right as well, Federer was ALWAYS beatable on clay.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Yes, Nadal has arrived. Now he has to raise his level of play on hard court to be able to consistently beat players like Blake and Ljubicic. He still have a long way to go, but nobody can doubt he is the real number 2 now and the undoubted champion on clay.

Federer, on the other hand, has yet to overcome a great obstacle to greatness. He will need to beat Nadal at the FO to be considered above someone like Sampras.

I dont agree, Sampras never won the French.

jackson vile
06-11-2006, 09:49 AM
It is a shame that Nadal was not at this years AO and still have not heard the reason why.

The big question IMO is how will Nadal prepare to bring this sucess to the hard courts, and will he keep getting unusual draws?

We all know that if he faces Blake it is all over, as Blake is even better than before. I don't expect Nadal to do anything else amazing this year and IMO think he needs to build his wins for the AO and look to dominate that next.

As for the hardcourt season I personally will be looking to Blake who just seems to become better and better being yet another underdog that has proven everyone wrong hiting a #5 spot that everyone said he could not do, can he beat Roger?

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Blake is not mentaly strong enough to win a grand slam. He can beat any of the top players, but not win 7 matches.

snark
06-11-2006, 09:52 AM
I dont agree, Sampras never won the French.

What's your point, neither has Federer. He will have to win it to be considered the all-time great.

Breaker
06-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Not if he gets more grand slam titles than Pete, Federer will probably also end up with more overall titles. If Roger gets to 15-16 grand slams he will be considered the GOAT even without the French title.

That being said, in many minds he needs the French title to break away from the pack such as Mcenroe, Borg, Sampras, etc., his window is closing as next year may be his last realistic shot while the young clay court players are developing, and Nadal may or may not become more vulnerable next year on clay.

Topaz
06-11-2006, 10:00 AM
The best part for me...the bit of doubles that they showed after the men's final.

Heh, heh...

Breaker
06-11-2006, 10:02 AM
The best part for me...the bit of doubles that they showed after the men's final.

Heh, heh...

Same here, those were some sick points I have to say.

snark
06-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Not if he gets more grand slam titles than Pete, Federer will probably also end up with more overall titles. If Roger gets to 15-16 grand slams he will be considered the GOAT even without the French title.

That being said, in many minds he needs the French title to break away from the pack such as Mcenroe, Borg, Sampras, etc., his window is closing as next year may be his last realistic shot while the young clay court players are developing, and Nadal may or may not become more vulnerable next year on clay.

Unless he gets a lot more GS titles than Pete, his claim will still be a little suspect. The difference between 14 and 15 is too little. If he gets to 18, then it is a different matter as Fed is also a far stronger clay courter.

Kevin T
06-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Agree with Jackson that tennis won today. I still don't like Nadal's game. Don't like all the "vamos!". Don't like the constant fist pumps. Can't stand the grinding style of play but doggonit, I love his fighting spirit. He's a true fighter, not just a mouthpiece like little Lleyton. He digs in and doesn't give up, never gets frazzled (on clay, at least!). After the 3rd set, Fed looked like a fighter that just got rocked with an uppercut. I think Fed knew what he needed to do and just forgot his game plan.

Gilgamesh
06-11-2006, 10:18 AM
After the 3rd set, Fed looked like a fighter that just got rocked with an uppercut. I think Fed knew what he needed to do and just forgot his game plan.

After all those unforced errors you eventually "forget" or abandon your game plan.:D

jackson vile
06-11-2006, 10:24 AM
My favorite point was when Roger broke Nadal in the 3rd, Nadal was sending Roger corner to corner, but you know what Roger got 4 or five of those back (pulling the patented Nadal scramble) and Nadal got tired and went to the net attempted a drop but Roger had that court so well covered and Nadal cornered.

Nadal only had an option to A)hit is at Roger (in this case Roger slices and puts it to bed) or B) hit it out.

Kinda funny, because you could see when Nadal got up there with the ball he relized he had no where to hit:mrgreen:

malakas
06-11-2006, 10:34 AM
On the contrary ..I think tennis lost today..The hype about this match was so great that it got over the boundaries of tennis world..But all that many non-tennis fans did see today,was a ..boring match..So..today I don't believe that tennis won..

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 10:37 AM
On the contrary ..I think tennis lost today..The hype about this match was so great that it got over the boundaries of tennis world..But all that many non-tennis fans did see today,was a ..boring match..So..today I don't believe that tennis won..

I agree. Any non tennis fan who heard the hype of the match and saw it will probably go back to Nascar. Granted at the very end it got exciting, the 2nd and 3rd sets(and even the 1st set) needed to be more like the end of the 4th set though.

Simon Cowell
06-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Nadal will win the Aus and French open from now on that's for sure.