PDA

View Full Version : (Sampras > Federer) & (Nadal=best claycourt player ever)

K-kita
06-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Now it's official.

Breaker
06-11-2006, 10:43 AM
:confused: Did Federer just retire from tennis?!?!!?!? That sucks definitely didn't see that one coming, I guess you're right then :( .

Gilgamesh
06-11-2006, 10:48 AM
I don't know many people who would say Federer > Sampras if we compare their careers. Sampras has 14 GS and 60 titles including almost 300 weeks at #1. I do however know many people who would argue that Federer > Sampras in terms of their skill and talent.

Nadal still has a number of FO wins to collect before he can be regarded as the best clay player ever. He is the best now no question about it and arguably at his peak (if he even is at his peak) the best ever but now the question is can he do it as long as Borg. I need a larger sample than two years before claiming somebody the greatest ever.

Max G.
06-11-2006, 11:25 AM
The oportunity for Roger to show that he's better than Sampras was to win at FO, he couldn't, and he won't do it.

Keep crying joe.

He's 24 - he has several more years to do it. Whether he will or not - we'll see in the next several years.

He's already done more at the French Open than Sampras ever did, by getting to the final.

JayxTheKoolest
06-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Nadal still has a number of FO wins to collect before he can be regarded as the best clay player ever. He is the best now no question about it and arguably at his peak (if he even is at his peak) the best ever but now the question is can he do it as long as Borg. I need a larger sample than two years before claiming somebody the greatest ever.

I agree, I think Nadal is at his peak. I don't really see how he can continue his style of play for much longer.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 11:33 AM
He's 24 - he has several more years to do it. Whether he will or not - we'll see in the next several years.

He's already done more at the French Open than Sampras ever did, by getting to the final.

I would be $1000 on Federer never winning the French Open if somebody offered it.

Hops
06-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Fed-Sampras comparison updated

http://www.tennis28.com/studies/Federer_Sampras.html

they're still essentially dead even.

Chadwixx
06-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Fed-Sampras comparison updated

http://www.tennis28.com/studies/Federer_Sampras.html

they're still essentially dead even.

Im guessing that head to head win fed has pushes him over the top.

To be the man, you have to beat the man. Pete cant say that, roger can.

VamosRafa
06-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I would be $1000 on Federer never winning the French Open if somebody offered it.

I don't know if I'd take that bet, but in other years he may get a worse draw than he did this year. This was a good opp for him.

Hops
06-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Im guessing that head to head win fed has pushes him over the top.

To be the man, you have to beat the man. Pete cant say that, roger can.

nah. it was one very close match, and neither were at peak. You can't draw any hard conclusions from it.

JayxTheKoolest
06-11-2006, 12:56 PM
nah. it was one very close match, and neither were at peak. You can't draw any hard conclusions from it.

How will Nadal get better? His game relies on heavy spin and finess.

oscar_2424
06-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I agree, I think Nadal is at his peak. I don't really see how he can continue his style of play for much longer.
why not?

chiru
06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
perhaps by adding more skills than heavy spin and fitness.