PDA

View Full Version : Smash court tennis 2

Coda
07-06-2004, 10:05 PM
I just got the PS2 game today. Mixed bag here. You would think that after Topspin came out and after years of mediocre tennis games, someone would get the great idea of making a great tennis game for the playstation. Don't get the wrong idea, this isn't a terrible game. Smash Court Tennis 2 is actually the best tennis game on the playstation, but it is a huge disappointment considering what it could have been. I really enjoyed playing it, but it was a little tricky to control in comparison to Hard Hitter Tennis, Sega Sports Tennis. Timing is everything. In hard hitter you could press the button to hit the ball as soon as your opponent hit the ball and you would hit the ball fine. In Smash Court 2, you have to hit the button when the ball bounces on your side of the court. It is more realistic this way, but it was a little tricky to get used to. The gameplay seemed a little slugish in comparison to Saga Sports Tennis, hard hitter. Arcade mode, Exhibition mode, Pro Tour mode are all great and Pro Tour really shines in comparison to other playstation tennis games. Player progression is made possible by winning in tournaments and mini games and tournaments are either played every point or you just play crucial moments of the match. The rest of the match's outcome depends on how you play these crucial moments the computer comes up with... a novel idea, but I would rather have full control of the match. A feature that I was very impressed with is team tennis. Just like any USDA team match, you create teams with the pros in the game and with created players and play singles and doubles...it's really fun playing against friends. A great game overall except for the somewhat sluggish gameplay but a great disappointment. I will still play it and have fun.