PDA

View Full Version : Nadal is the best player this year!!

tlm
06-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Nadal is the best right now to date,nadal has 5 titles fed 4.They each have 1 GS,and of course the head to head nadal 4 fed o!!!!

malakas
06-11-2006, 10:14 AM
OH MY GOD!!YOU ARE SO RIGHT!:o
you know what..Not only this year!!He is the BEST EVER!!!!!!
Nadal is the GOAT!!And..not only in tennis..ON every sport!!He's the BEST ATHLETE!!
The best HUMAN on EARTH!in the GALAXY!in the UNIVERSE!!!:rolleyes:

Breaker
06-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Federer=over 700 points so far, Nadal has under 600, Federer is the best player this year, never losing before a final.

JayxTheKoolest
06-11-2006, 10:16 AM
The statistics are in Nadal's favor because the entire clay court sytem has been played. While the hardcourt and grass court season has not. Fed will have many more titles once these seasons begin. Fed is a better tennis player than Nadal, even Nadal admitted that today.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-11-2006, 10:20 AM
If you discount the Australian Open they are almost tied in points for the year. So it is very close. Roger never losing before a final but losing all 4 finals to Nadal. Nadal losing before the finals 3 times, but winning all his finals.

tlm
06-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Nadal was injured early in the year,that is the only reason he is behind in points.Lucky for fed because nadal may have 2 GS this year if he wasnt injured.

You fed fans can laugh all you want but nadal has 5 titles to 4 over fed+again showed he owns fed.

Breaker
06-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Nadal was injured early in the year,that is the only reason he is behind in points.Lucky for fed because nadal may have 2 GS this year if he wasnt injured.

You fed fans can laugh all you want but nadal has 5 titles to 4 over fed+again showed he owns fed.

Even if Nadal won the Aussie Open and Fed made the final Federer would still be ahead of Nadal in ytd points by a small margin. Nadal would certainly have been the best player of the year if he would have won but it's a part of the game to stay healthy, Federer was able to therefore he won, Nadal was not therefore he couldn't even show up and doesn't deserve the points or even consideration of those points.

dh003i
06-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Like Breaker said, staying healthy is a part of the game. No-one cares about excuses. Maybe so-and-so could have won 15 grand slams if not for injuries. Who cares? No one.

Staying healthy is a natural part of the tennis game. It's not like Nadal got ran over by a car, and his injuries were the fault of someone else.

welcome2petrkordaland
06-11-2006, 11:21 AM
In response to Jayx's comment that Nadal even admitted that Federer is a better player, don't you think that's a public relations-type remark? I mean Rafa will be saying that until the cows come home and probably 4 years from now when his record against Federer may well be like 14-5. Whoever's coaching Rafael on what to say before and after matches is doing a superb job. I find it a humerous, to be honest. You got a young fighter who says over and over again that Federer is the greatest in history and he still KICKS HIS TAIL nearly every time! LOL :)

Nadal's no eloquent orator but he leaves it on the court every time he plays, leaving the talk to the commentators, coaches, & us bull%#$ers, the fans.

In response to the thread, I can't say Nadal's the best player this year necessarily. But guess what? You also can't say Federer is either, considering his 0-4 mark against Nadal, the first loss on hard in Nadal's second tournament coming from injury!!! Yes, let me repeat: that was on a hard court and Federer trashed him the first set 6-1!! Sorry, but you can take the points and shove them to an extent. Look at Martina Hingis a few years back when she was "WORLD NUMBER ONE" (whatever the #@$* that means these days) and could not win majors. I mean since when has the best player/team "in the world" lost so consistently and still be dubbed as such? Please.

Let's put this into perspective: Rafa just turned 20. He's 6-1 against the potential GOAT (that's nearly 86% winning rate against Fed, 2 of 6 on HARD!), matched federer's 11 titles last year AS A TEENAGER with 11 of his own, and has just surpassed Federer in titles won this year. I think we may be experiencing won of the most stunning and shocking "changing of the guards" as far as tennis greats. Right when you thought this Federer guy may be the best and he still may end up that way, a younger unorthodox leftie bursts onto the scene and totally gets his number.

Federer is a true joy to watch with his grace, deft touch, classic style, etc. He's got ALL the shots (obviously) and like Andre said after the US Open final not entirely to pad his ego, he just has so many options.

Having said that, though, I'll cautiously introduce a hypothetical scenario, although I'm not one to harp on hypotheticals. Here's how sudden this changing of the guard is taking place: Fed's 24 and has 7 gs while rafa's barely 20 and has 2. Sure Fed's likely to win wimbledon, but I'm not sure why this hasn't been emphasized more: Rafael's style will translate beautifully to the slower rebound ace of the Australian Open, with his extreme topspin, the unbearable heat, his speed, and his tenacity. What I'm getting at is Rafael would have faired well in Australia this year. IF he had played and won ( I'M NOT A COULDA, SHOULDA, WOULDA PERSON BUT JUST CONSIDER) in Australia, Rafael Nadal would have 3 grand slams at the age of 20 compared to Roger Federer's 6 at age 24. Talk about knockin' on the door. That's close!! Rafael's likely to take on average 2 gs a year (aussie and roland garros) for the next 4 years barring injuries (which he may well sustain given his physical, non-so-sustainable style) and I'd say Federer's likely to grab two on average for the next 2 or 3 years as well. IF this happens and they retire at about the same age, that's right, mathematicians, guess who ends up with more grand slams by virtue of sheer longevity, especially if Federer can't turn the tide in this rivalry.

Way too early . . . but Rafael Nadal . . . a GOAT candidate???

dh003i
06-11-2006, 11:33 AM
IF this happens and they retire at about the same age, that's right, mathematicians, guess who ends up with more grand slams by virtue of sheer longevity, especially if Federer can't turn the tide in this rivalry.

Well, 2 grand slams is great, but he's only proven he can win GS on clay...

Furthermore, his style of play most likely means that he will in fact wear down before Federer does. Federer's style of play is very very easy on the body. Nadal's style is very taxing. This isn't a put-down or some kind of nastiness; it's just the truth. This to me suggests that even if Nadal doesn't get injured -- which his style of play also makes more likely -- he might not be a dominant player as long as Federer, and might fall out of the top 10 before Federer does.

Not only that, but Nadal's game is very heavily reliant on speed. This is something that's going to fade quickly with increasing age: look at Hewitt. Here's the difference between the playing styles of these two players: right now, Nadal is in his prime at 19/20; right now, Federer is in his prime at 24. That's because of the different styles. The former style seems very difficult to suit to a long-lasting career.

3 close to 6? Well, not really. And 2's even further away. Let's put it this way: 2 grand slams in a career is a heck of a lot better than 1. 4 Grand Slams makes one an all-time great player, while 2 merely makes one not a "one-time wonder". 7 starts to get into the GOAT candidate area. And 14 -- twice as many as 7 -- makes one a definate candidate for the GOAT.

I think Federer will win a French Open before his career is over. He's too good a clay-court player not to. This takes nothing away from Nadal, who is clearly a better clay-court player, although Fed is close. It is of course difficult when someone else' game plays exactly into your weaknesses. But, that makes for an interesting challenge.

welcome2petrkordaland
06-11-2006, 03:11 PM
To dh, agreed w/ almost everything you said. interesting thought about how nadal is in his prime RIGHT NOW, though. I like to think he's not yet playing his best tennis. True, with his very taxing and physical style of play, he thrives at this young age and it will probably shorten his career, but I don't think he's in his prime just yet. This is my basis for suggesting that barring injury, if Nadal can keep improving-adding shots to his game, VOLLEYING!!, big leftie SERVING!!, SERVING & VOLLEYING!!, slice, etc.- he can win between 5 and 10 slams.

I also like your take on the number of gs won by a player and what that means as far as career legacy, but I was just saying that a hypothetical 3 gs for nadal AT THE AGE OF 20 compared to 6 for federer AT THE AGE OF 24 would be getting close (especially with all this GOAT talk). This is, of course, all academic and hypothetical.

I've read many (too many) of these posts including some of yours and you may be able to appreciate this. It's unbelievable to me how Federer fans (or whoever) refuse to give Nadal credit for being excellent on hard courts. He beat Federer this year on it! And the only player that seems to beat him on it is Blake. Name two players in the world better than Blake on hard court. Federer and ??? okay maybe Ljubicic, Nalbandian, who knows. Point is Nadal's shown he can play on hard courts. He trashed Agassi at a Masters Series event in Montreal last year, almost beat Federer in Miami, and lost to Blake in the 4th Rd. of the US Open who was playing awesome and should've beaten Agassi. Blake also edged him in Indian Wells. Nadal can't fart on grass, but it's amazing how people forget his hard court successes at such an early stage in his career. Look for Nadal to lay some wood down under and start taking those slams.

J-man
06-11-2006, 04:52 PM
The statistics are in Nadal's favor because the entire clay court sytem has been played. While the hardcourt and grass court season has not. Fed will have many more titles once these seasons begin. Fed is a better tennis player than Nadal, even Nadal admitted that today.Yes he's a better player than Nadal because of grass

skip1969
06-11-2006, 05:07 PM
lord, we aren't gonna have this debate for the next three weeks, are we? it's JUNE, people. get a grip.

now federer's aussie open doesn't count for jack cos nadal was hurt? (and i thought fed fans had some lame excuses)

hmmmm . . . maybe nadal winning the french shouldn't count, either. since we all know how much fed "sucks" on clay. (at least, that's what i keep hearing on this board, from nadal fans most of all)

back and forth with the bulls**t. i seriously doubt even nadal and federer would get into this crap if they were posters on this board.

"i'm better than you cos i won in melbourne."
"well, i was hurt. i wasn't there."
"that's not MY fault."
well, i won the french. AND i've beaten you all year."
"yeah, but you lose more."
"no, YOU do."
"you're a loser."
no, YOU are."
"am not"
"are too."
"i'm number 1"
no, I AM"
"MOM! raf is picking on me again!"
"MOM! roger's being mean!"

simi
06-11-2006, 05:11 PM
"i'm better than you cos i won in melbourne."
"well, i was hurt. i wasn't there."
"that's not MY fault."
well, i won the french. AND i've beaten you all year."
"yeah, but you lose more."
"no, YOU do."
"you're a loser."
no, YOU are."
"am not"
"are too."
"i'm number 1"
no, I AM"
"MOM! raf is picking on me again!"
"MOM! roger's being mean!"

Good one! I've had some conversations with my siblings along these lines. But, the above conversation should have been between Pusher Terminator and any one of a number of Federer fanatics from this forum.

malakas
06-11-2006, 05:19 PM
hahaha!!!!!Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!

Fedexeon
06-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Yes he's a better player than Nadal because of grass

Rafael Nadal is better than Roger Federer because of clay?
Come on, every type of surface is part of the game.
And congrats to Nadal, who won back to back Roland Garros champion.

superman1
06-12-2006, 01:56 AM
How can you name the best player of the year when we're only halfway through the year? Wimbledon and the US Open are still to come, and last I checked Federer is the defending champion and overwhelming favorite at both of those majors. Nadal's time of year is over. He's second or third best from now on, unless he proves otherwise.