PDA

View Full Version : The Federer Back-Hand and Preservation

BaseLineBash
06-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Ok, so most of us saw the final, I noticed his back-hand change up, he was using a more extreme grip and he wasn't getting too low with it, plus it seemed like he sliced more in the first and third set. I don't think this was a choke or anything like that...I think it was self-preservation, the grass is right around the corner and it wasn't worth it to him to take himself out of his comfort zone and possibly get injured. I believe he is like Pete in this way, always looking at the big picture and it's ramifications.

grizzly4life
06-11-2006, 01:10 PM
I believe he is like Pete in this way, always looking at the big picture and it's ramifications.

interesting comments (including the ones i didn't quote).... but isn't the big picture that he could have won the grand slam and he has horrible record vs. nadal..... i think winning this match today should have meant alot more than a win at wimbledon this year (like by a factor by 20 in my mind). and how much danger is federer really in at wimbledon?? especially in the first week.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-11-2006, 01:18 PM
...it wasn't worth it to him to take himself out of his comfort zone and possibly get injured.

Get injured? Huh?

If he's self-preserving, he doesn't deserve to be a champion. He's in the freaking FINALS of the French Open--that's not a time to say, "hey, let me keep the weaponry in the reserves and save them for later."

BaseLineBash
06-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Get injured? Huh?

If he's self-preserving, he doesn't deserve to be a champion. He's in the freaking FINALS of the French Open--that's not a time to say, "hey, let me keep the weaponry in the reserves and save them for later."
I'm not saying I'm 100% correct or he should have or shouldn't have done this or that. It just seemed like he wasn't going the distance to me, and there has to be a motivation behind that logic.

Eviscerator
06-11-2006, 01:25 PM
..I think it was self-preservation, the grass is right around the corner and it wasn't worth it to him to take himself out of his comfort zone and possibly get injured. I believe he is like Pete in this way, always looking at the big picture and it's ramifications.

:roll:

tonyjh63
06-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Daggone, if the final in a Grand Slam match, especially the only one you haven't won yet, isn't the time to go all-out, and not worry about "saving" something for Wimbeldon, I don't know when is!