PDA

View Full Version : federer's backhand

rod99
06-11-2006, 04:41 PM
everyone marvels at federer's backhand. sure, he can hit some nice shots off that wing but i hope this ends the debate that he has "a great backhand" and "has the best 1-handed backhand in the game." i'd take gaudio's backhand in a heartbeat over federer's. the rest of gaudio's game is light years below federer's but (desite being a good 3-4 inches shorter than federer) i've never seen gaudio struggle with high backhands like federer did today. even against nadal.

JayxTheKoolest
06-11-2006, 04:42 PM
What has ended the debate? Your post is completely illlogical.

jamauss
06-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Who keeps saying Federer "has the best 1-handed backhand in the game." ?

Sure it's nice but I'd take the backhand of Gasquet, Gaudio, or Kuerten (and maybe even Haas) before Federer's. Federer seems to use his BH more to set himself up for a forehand winner more than he hits it for winners itself.

rod99
06-11-2006, 05:22 PM
the match today should have ended the debate. federer had like 5 winners compared to 35 or so unforced errors. and plenty of people on here rave about federer's backhand. i'd certainly take gaudio's, gasquet's, or haas' backhand over federer's.

Tennis_Monk
06-11-2006, 05:27 PM
You are free to take any backhand you want. Backhand alone wont win matches. One needs a complete package. Federer having a weak backhand (in fact its weaker than mine .j/k) still managed to win a small number of 7 Grandslams and potentially more.

Defcon
06-11-2006, 05:52 PM
For playing Nadal on clay, the way he played today, I'd even pick Graf's bh over Fed's. Her slice was killer.

And I'd definitely pick Steffi's mental game.

ART ART
06-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Sine junior times, Federer has this weak backhand. Very bad, everyone knows that, no balance, no confidence.
And he knows the trick to get it right, but he canīt do it... just copy Guga or Gaudio.

superman1
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
That's not true. Federer's backhand used to be his major weapon. I don't know what happened to it. It was absolutely awful today. He couldn't do anything with it except pray that it went over the net and inside the court. I don't understand why he didn't slice. It was just painful to watch, especially since I just watched the 2002 Hamburg final between Fed and Safin, and Federer's backhand was LETHAL. He was whipping it like Gasquet and just crushing the ball.

loubapache
06-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Federer's BH against Nadal has always been awful. He just cannot hit the sweatspot consitently. It was painful to watch because he cannot hit three shorts in a row without making an error. Frankly, he could benefit from a larger headsized racquet on clay.

superman1
06-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea. Obviously he beats everyone else handily with his racquet, but with Nadal it might be wise to try a bigger head size.

Then again, the better thing to do would be to just play more aggressively and with a sense of urgency, instead of that casual look he always has.

ACE of Hearts
06-11-2006, 07:02 PM
When it comes to the matches on clay, it always comes down to unforced errors for Fed, he always hits more winners then Nadal on clay.Nadal's topspin is a problem and Roger has a bad habit of shanking forehands and backhands.

Zeph
06-11-2006, 07:05 PM
wow, fed just had a bad day on his backhand side. His backhand is very good when hes hitting it well.