PDA

View Full Version : Players slowing down, losing footspeed

armand
06-11-2006, 11:09 PM
During today's final, after a great point that Federer won by defense, Johnny Mac said that was Federer's best ever point on defense(or words to that effect).

But I've noticed that Federer isn't as fast as he once was. He used to have better acceleration+agility but he's slowed down some because I remember him being faster in Wimbledon 2003 and Australian Open 2004. After that, it gets fuzzy.

Andy Roddick has slowed down a lot since his 2003 US Open win.

Slowing down hasn't hurt Federer that much because he has many other tools to rely on. Roddick didn't/doesn't.

I wonder what will happen when Nadal loses some of his speed?

fastdunn
06-11-2006, 11:24 PM
For some reasons, Federer never striked me as particularly
fast guy. He is quick but not as fast as some of top movers
on tour. It's easy to see it when Nalbandian or Nadal
stretch him wide left and right.

Federer is good at anticipation which makes him somtimes look magically
fast when he defends against other guy's attack.
But when he is chasing wide stretched shots at the baseline,
he is not Hewitt or Nadal fast. Not even Blake or Coria fast.

David L
06-12-2006, 12:11 AM
During today's final, after a great point that Federer won by defense, Johnny Mac said that was Federer's best ever point on defense(or words to that effect).

But I've noticed that Federer isn't as fast as he once was. He used to have better acceleration+agility but he's slowed down some because I remember him being faster in Wimbledon 2003 and Australian Open 2004. After that, it gets fuzzy.

Andy Roddick has slowed down a lot since his 2003 US Open win.

Slowing down hasn't hurt Federer that much because he has many other tools to rely on. Roddick didn't/doesn't.

I wonder what will happen when Nadal loses some of his speed?

Federer is still quick, but everyone is slower on clay. Clay robs everyone of half a step, because the ground is loose, so you cannot push off aggressively without slipping. You'll see at Wimbledon and the hardcourt season, he will look a lot quicker.

One of the main reasons why some are good on clay and others not, is because some adapt to the sliding technique better than others.

I posted something on the difficulty of playing on clay when it comes to footing.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=941238#post941238

David L
06-12-2006, 12:18 AM
For some reasons, Federer never striked me as particularly
fast guy. He is quick but not as fast as some of top movers
on tour. It's easy to see it when Nalbandian or Nadal
stretch him wide left and right.

Federer is good at anticipation which makes him somtimes look magically
fast when he defends against other guy's attack.
But when he is chasing wide stretched shots at the baseline,
he is not Hewitt or Nadal fast. Not even Blake or Coria fast.

Federer is very quick. His movement is unbelievable, but he takes big strides like Sampras, so it never looks like he is motoring. He is easily quicker than Nalbandian, I would say even Hewitt. I can't think of anyone else, currently playing, who is quicker, apart from Nadal maybe.

westside
06-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Federer is very quick. His movement is unbelievable, but he takes big strides like Sampras, so it never looks like he is motoring. He is easily quicker than Nalbandian, I would say even Hewitt. I can't think of anyone else, currently playing, who is quicker, apart from Nadal maybe.

I wouldn't say he is quicker than Hewitt.

armand
07-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Well, I've watched his previous matches and now I'm watching him against Berdych. No way he's as quick as he once was.

So, even the pros slow down at a young age.

Grimjack
07-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't say he is quicker than Hewitt.

I think he simply anticipates a whole lot better than Hewitt (or anybody else), so effectively, he's as quick or quicker.

ACE of Hearts
07-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Sampras was never quick either.Roger in my mind is more quicker then Pete ever was.In grass, u need reflexes, he can return huge serves with ease.

ACE of Hearts
07-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I dont understand the point of this thread, Roger doesnt have LLeyton's quickness, what he has is foot speed and great reflexes.

dh003i
07-03-2006, 10:17 AM
I dunno, doesn't seem like he's slowed down much to me.

But it isn't just raw speed with him, it's court presence, placement, footwork, anticipation, and reflexes.

Don Felder
07-03-2006, 10:23 AM
You guys are nuts... Federer is QUICK. Like others have said, he may not be besting Hewitt Coria Nadal Grosjean et al in a 40 dash, but his incredible court sense and formidable footspeed make him just as menacing on defense. Nadal's ball makes anyone look slow stretched out wide... it just kicks so far away from you and is so heavy, it's very difficult not to get behind it.

With that said, Federer definitely could work on his abs a bit... hehe. Myrka needs to stop feeding him those Swiss chocolates.

armand
07-03-2006, 10:26 AM
You guys are nuts... Federer is QUICK. Like others have said, he may not be besting Hewitt Coria Nadal Grosjean et al in a 40 dash, but his incredible court sense and formidable footspeed make him just as menacing on defense. Nadal's ball makes anyone look slow stretched out wide... it just kicks so far away from you and is so heavy, it's very difficult not to get behind it.

With that said, Federer definitely could work on his abs a bit... hehe. Myrka needs to stop feeding him those Swiss chocolates.Mirka needs to stop feeding herself those Swiss chocolates.

Anyway, I'm just talkin' about Federer. Federer now compared to Federer 3 yrs ago. I think he's slightly, but noticebly, slower. Am I the only one who thinks so?