PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters Serve

Young Gun
06-12-2006, 04:35 AM
does anyone else besides myself think that it is horribly weak/bad technique e.g: no leg drive etc. etc.

sandiegotennisboy
06-13-2006, 10:24 PM
the only women who use fundamentally, correct technique are hingis and the beloved JHH. everyone else has funky strokes. if youre trying to teach a chick, have them watch these two girls, or better yet, just have them watch men's matches. thats what JHH says she does. hingis, though technically sound and has nice stroke aesthetics, still gets pounded by the trannies.

Say Chi Sin Lo
06-13-2006, 11:12 PM
i agree, most women just toss the ball up, and jump up for it. No one really flows into the final contact.

Alexandros
06-14-2006, 05:03 AM
the only women who use fundamentally, correct technique are hingis and the beloved JHH. everyone else has funky strokes. if youre trying to teach a chick, have them watch these two girls, or better yet, just have them watch men's matches. thats what JHH says she does. hingis, though technically sound and has nice stroke aesthetics, still gets pounded by the trannies.

I would actually put Alicia Molik above both of these girls in terms of technique and effectiveness (Molik's serve speed is just under Venus and Serena's speeds in their heyday). Molik's entire service motion is textbook perfect.

I don't think Clijsters' serve is horrible, but she's definitely not getting the most out of it. It's an above average serve amongst the women, but nothing spectacular. Indeed I sometimes get the impression that she just goes through the motion to get the point started - unlike say Henin-Hardenne, Serena or even Sharapova who deliberate, focus and acutally look to get the free points on their serves.

bebots
06-14-2006, 09:22 AM
I don't really think her serve is a weakness. But I am disappointed in Clijsters' effort sometimes, obviously in the FO semis. She seems to mindlessly trudge through her game when she's losing, like whatever the result may be, she's in a rush to get there.

Like the grind, the mental fortitude and physical effort it takes to come back and make a match competitive, she looks like she's not even willing to go through.

I don't know, maybe it's just her style. But I think she could have made that match against Justine more interesting if she wanted to.

Slazenger
06-14-2006, 12:47 PM
does anyone else besides myself think that it is horribly weak/bad technique e.g: no leg drive etc. etc.

Clijsters actually gets good pop on her serve. I believe she had the 2nd fastest serve at last yrs US Open (early 120's mph I think)
She rushes at times but she has all the elements in her serve.

Actually JHH's serve is the weakest part of her game. It usually holds up in Roland Garros but everywhere else her serve has a habit of letting her down.

Serena has very good technique on her serves. She also had one of, if not the best, kick serves when she dominanted the tour

Sharapova has IMO the best service technique of the girls at present.

If a beginner wanted a service motion to emulate I would suggest Hingis. Very simple, both arms up at the same time,.That's actually how I was taught to serve, but I've since changed my motion.
I've noticed the better servers have the tossing arm up first while the racquet arm is still going down. Makes for a more fluid motion IMO. No hitches.