PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Pro Staff 7.1 Torch

dj_hailstone
07-07-2004, 07:56 AM
I bought this racquet today, but dont tried it yet.

Anybody have this racquet? I cannot find it on this website, either on wilson website. Please can somebody give me his opinion to this racquet?

!<-_->!
07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Maybe you can't find any info on this racquet is because you combined the name of 2 different racquets. The HPS 7.1 Zone and Prostaff Torch are two very different racquets. The Zone is a mid weight super flexy thin beamed racquet. The Torch is thicker, lighter and is a point head heavy I think. Depending on which racquet you have, can't give feedback.

Steve Huff
07-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Others have tried to take pictures of the Torch, but it was so ugly the lens broke or the photographer could not force himself to focus on it.

Aonex
07-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Others have tried to take pictures of the Torch, but it was so ugly the lens broke or the photographer could not force himself to focus on it.

Hahaha... someone should have gotten fired at Wilson for that paint job.

dj_hailstone
07-07-2004, 10:17 PM
check this:
http://www.wilson.sk/index.asp?menu=1&amp;item=3

here is "Pro Staff Torch 7.1"
it has the same specification as Pro Staff Torch (i think), but it is not so ugly. I bought it yesterday but dont know it was a good deal. Thats why I am looking for feedback... Maybe it is the same racquet as Prostaff Torch but with different paint job.

dj_hailstone
07-11-2004, 12:51 AM
So what do you think people? It is the same racquet?

Steve Huff
07-11-2004, 07:35 AM
I don't know if it's the same racket--probably is. And it does have a lot better paint scheme than the US version.

Steve H.
07-11-2004, 07:48 PM
It's not the same as the US Torch -- 30% fiberglass, and very light according to that Slovakian site, and our Torch is all graphite. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent model in the US among their performance frames, maybe they're selling it here in their recreational line, there seem to be new Wilsons all the time. How does it play? Must be pretty low-powered.

dj_hailstone
07-12-2004, 06:02 AM
So I bought a Prostaff racquet that isnt a real Prostaff? :(

Yes it is very low powered, I must hit the ball with long swing and
strongly, but it is good to me and I like this racquet. And it is also more head-balanced than other Prostaff´s I think. But this is only my third racquet I am playing with, so I cannot really tell you how good it is. I used only recreational racquets before (Head Ti 3100).

Steve H.
07-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Well, Wilson can call anything it wants a ProStaff, but usually it refers to heavier, head-light frames. Companies seem to be blurring the distinction between recreational and performance frames lately, often it depends mostly on where you buy them. They are often using production setups of discontinued models to make perfectly good racquets with a new name and paintjob, and then selling them in chain stores. You can get a very decent racquet this way for under $50.

The specs of yours seem similar to the HyperHammer 6.3 -- what is the balance point? (to measure, balance it on the edge of the table and measure from the butt to the table edge) -- and where did you get it? Are you in Slovakia? In any event it sounds like a real step up from the Head 3001.

dj_hailstone
07-18-2004, 01:32 AM
Yep, I am from Slovakia and I got it in local store. About balance point: It is more head balanced. I tried to find the balance point, it is 34,5 centimeter from the top of the handle. Is this useful?

dj_hailstone
07-28-2004, 01:26 AM
:?:

Steve H.
07-28-2004, 11:37 AM
If the balance point is 34.5 cm and the racquet length is 69, that means it's evenly balanced. It sounds like a _really_ low-powered racquet, unlike anything Wilson sells in the US, their HH 6.3 is almost an inch head-heavy. Maybe you like it that way, but if you find yourself working too hard to get depth on your shots, you might add some lead tape to the head at 3:00 and 9:00, maybe balancing it with weight at the handle so it doesn't become too Hammer-like. This would give you more power and stability. Hope this is useful.