PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Problem

Nosoupforyou
07-07-2004, 08:24 AM
I have been having wrist problems lately and was wondering if anyone could give some advice on how to treat it. I have soaked it in Epson Salts and Iced it which seems to help a little but not that much. Any thoughts or ideas, is there a wrist band on the market that I could wear while playing tennis,
Thanks
Nosoup

BSousa
07-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Where is the pain and how does it occur (all the time, specific movements?).

Most wrist bands I used were worth squat. I found the Babolat one to be the only one to help with the pain, I believe its because it is slightly bigger (5-6 inches) than the other ones (3-4 inches).

Also, try a less stiff racquet, that helped me too.

lendl lives
08-04-2004, 12:48 PM
me too. i feel it gets tweeked out if i play too much. I use the babolat blue one and it helps. mine hurts just right and about an inch above that bone that sticks out.

dozu
08-05-2004, 08:55 PM
I used to have wrist problem. It could just be that you play too much. Otherwise it could be 2 things:

Technique... if you don't lay back the wrist on the forehand, it's gonna take lots of shock on impact. If you grip the racket too tight... lots of the shock energy is transfered to your wrist.

Racket/string. The stick has to be heavy, headlight, and flexible. especially if you volley a lot, where you are supposed to firm up the wrist. Myself S&V 70% of the time and my racket is 13.5 oz, 12 pts headlight, with a 62 flex. So when I stick my racket out and if the incoming ball is a bullet, of if I catch it off center, I have enough feedback to know what just happened and that's it, my arm doesn't really suffer anything. Among the 3 factors of the racket, I believe flexibility is the most important one. Your volley may suffer for a while (lack of penetration) before you improve/adjust your technique. But the choice is easy when health is on the balance.

lendl lives
08-06-2004, 10:14 AM
it may be technique, i've tried some different things on the fh. using a more extreme grip. not sure what this means. "if you don't lay back the writs on the fh" could you explain it a bit more. i noticed the pain after trying this new technique. i was going to use the head lm prestige because i could really hit the ball like this but the weight was too much. i'm using the babolat pc standard with big banger luxilon (grey strings)...........

dozu
08-06-2004, 06:53 PM
If you watch the slow-mo clips of any pro's forehand, you can see at impact the wrist is laid-back.

Also don't hold the racket too tight... get the right grip size, and heavy racket so you are not force to hold on to the racket if the incoming ball is heavy.

if you feel head lm is too heavy, add lots of lead under the handle as close to the butt cap as possible, you will feel the racket gets a lot lighter due to the shifted balance.

changing to a more extreme grip is probably not the answer.... I sense your racket is too stiff for you.