PDA

View Full Version : tennis player physiques.

tylerchadwick
07-07-2004, 09:17 AM
As I become a bigger and bigger tennis fan, I've noticed some strong body structure from tennis players. Roger's my favorite, but he really is very small in muscle structure. But I noticed after the wimby final that Roddick nearly looks fat. Now I know hes not because hes one of the premier athletes in the world. But I was wondering if anyone had any imput as to why his obliques and lower abs are plump looking. the power that comes from a tennis stroke is the amount of torque your body can get. ARe his lower abs and obliques so strong and built up that that's why his look that way?

lelopez
07-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Although his muscles may be strong and developed, I bet he still has a high bodyfat content.....that's why you don't see ripped abs and looks a little "soft" around the midsection. Serena on the other hand is both very muscular and has a very low bodyfat content. The more ripped you are the "bigger" you look.....and most tennis players are neither "huge" nor "ripped".....

It all depends on diet, exercise, genetics etc......some players will look ripped with minimal effort on their bodies, while others may be fit as heck but still lack the "shredded" look.

Aonex
07-07-2004, 10:22 AM
When you look at Fed closely, he actually looks pretty skinny. I heard flexibility has a lot to do with how he generates his power.

@wright
07-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Fed's stomach, although not as plump as Andy(Andy may have worms), didn't look like a professional athlete at all, I have a better stomach than both those guys and I don't do any abdominal exercises when I work out.

IvanYentl
07-07-2004, 10:52 AM
I would agree that flexibility has a lot to do with Federer's ability to send the ball anywhere he pleases on the court. It's like slingshot power.

When he drops to his knees after winning wimbledon, leans back and touches the back of his head to the grass, I wince. If I tried that my quads would explode, along with both knees.

ibelieveinliquidmetal
07-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Fed shows he had a lot of arm strength when he throws tennis balls or his sweaty wristband(ewww...) into the crowd.

VamosRafa
07-07-2004, 12:25 PM
I heard that after RG, Andy went to the San Francisco Bay area to train with Agassi, and also to work with a nutritionist. He lost 10 pounds there. They said that was one reason for the improvement in his quickness.

I think that's just Andy's build. And he may have to watch his weight more than some of the other players. But with Gilbert and Spreen on the job, plus the nutritionist, I'm sure they aren't going to let him get too out of shape.

But a good point was made above. TV does add pounds to you. I'm always surprised how much smaller players look in person -- especially the women.

Rickson
07-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Maria is skinnier than you might imagine. She was standing next to small children and they were all wider than she was.

PJVA
07-07-2004, 03:45 PM
I think in general that the American players look a little fatter or softer than other players and I'd say that's because of the junk food, pizza, and burgers that young people here load up on. Just look at how out of shape Dent and Fish look and they are young guys. Blake and Genepri have well developed arms but their legs are not great. Blake has toothpick legs.

Conversely the ones who look the fittest are the clay court players. They always have the best legs.

Federer appears to have muscular legs, especially the calves, but his upper body is thin. Did you see him with his shirt off? Very thin. He's about the same height and weight as Tim Henman.

irishbanger
07-07-2004, 06:11 PM
On Saturday Night Live there was a skit of Andy with his shirt off and he looked pretty buff.

Ronaldo
07-07-2004, 07:43 PM
All these players look like girlie-men next to Martina. Other than the Jensens and Coria, none will make the cover of Ironman. Shoulda seen Borg in his playing days, shredded.

jings
07-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Didn't Andy say at the end of his post W final something along the lines of finding out how long Sharapova's skirt was and he'll bring the beers let's go ... now this is the kind of pro training I could seriously get used to! That said Mr Roddick is plenty fit - those NBA baketball shorts and pregnancy t-shirt hide a very fit guy.

Interesting aside on Fed and his physique, he was close to turning pro soccer player up until 15 or 16 before deciding on tennis (Ernie Els apparently making much a similar decision for golf over tennis at much the same age).

Chanchai
07-08-2004, 01:48 AM
Lleyton Hewitt's in pretty darn good shape.

Regarding the comment on Claycourt players and their shape/legs... I don't doubt they're in great shape. But I figure many of them develop legs from playing soccer like crazy. (btw, soccer rules ;)).

Can definitely see a difference between the typical basketball players' legs and the typical soccer players' legs. Can probably definitely see a difference in height too (with few exceptions).

-Chanchai

Bertchel Banks
07-15-2004, 07:50 PM
But I was wondering if anyone had any imput as to why his obliques and lower abs are plump looking.

Perhaps he doesn't pull/suck his stomach in when he does his crunches. This way the abs form in a pouch-out way instead of flat like a washboard.

Lee
07-16-2004, 12:26 AM
You know who has the best physique among current ATP players? RAFAEL NADAL for sure! Just look at his arms.. his biceps are probably twice as big as Roddick's. Since he is a great player on clay courts, I am sure his lower body is in great conditions as well.

As for Roddick being fat.. I do agree that he has excess body fat on his abs but I am sure he has very developed ab muscles beneath the flab. However, I don't understand why he is still so pale, considering the fact that he is playinig under the sun all the time...

PJVA
07-16-2004, 04:01 AM
All these players look like girlie-men next to Martina. Other than the Jensens and Coria, none will make the cover of Ironman. Shoulda seen Borg in his playing days, shredded.

I don't think so. Did you see how hunky Gaudio looked in the FO final? That guy has great legs, and the rest of him is pretty well defined too.

Andy Zarzuela
07-16-2004, 05:51 AM
As I become a bigger and bigger tennis fan, I've noticed some strong body structure from tennis players. Roger's my favorite, but he really is very small in muscle structure. But I noticed after the wimby final that Roddick nearly looks fat. Now I know hes not because hes one of the premier athletes in the world. But I was wondering if anyone had any imput as to why his obliques and lower abs are plump looking. the power that comes from a tennis stroke is the amount of torque your body can get. ARe his lower abs and obliques so strong and built up that that's why his look that way?

Most likely it's in his genes. Look at his brother John for example.
However Roddick has picked up a little body fat since 2003. But he's working on losing it.
________
Ffm movie (http://www.****tube.com/categories/19/ffm/videos/1)

Rickson
07-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Roddick's definitely not the leanest tennis pro.

Brian Purdie
07-17-2004, 05:59 PM
PJVA is correct! Doesn't anyone recall Agassi and Sampras in the mid 90's (underneath all that hair). Those were fairly ripped guys
http://www.samprasfanz.com/gallery/1995wim/95WIMBTH.JPG

Pushmaster
07-18-2004, 02:42 PM
You know who has the best physique among current ATP players?Yes, Jan Michael-Gambill hands down. At 6' 2" 200 lbs. of ripped to the bone muscle, he looks like he could be a world-class athlete in just about any sport.

Ronaldo
07-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Guess no one is impressed with Moya, eh?

PJVA
07-19-2004, 06:47 PM
You know who has the best physique among current ATP players? RAFAEL NADAL for sure! Just look at his arms.. his biceps are probably twice as big as Roddick's. Since he is a great player on clay courts, I am sure his lower body is in great conditions as well.

As for Roddick being fat.. I do agree that he has excess body fat on his abs but I am sure he has very developed ab muscles beneath the flab. However, I don't understand why he is still so pale, considering the fact that he is playinig under the sun all the time...

If you see when Roddick's shorts ride up slightly he actually does have a tan line. He is just very white to start with. Like you, I wonder why he wouldn't have more color....but he must wear sun screen.

I know Nadal had great arms....but what about his legs? I've never seen those.