PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Webber Open, thought it was Boom Boom haha

sliceroni
06-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Looks like a possible Safin/Fed meeting, was a close final between the two last year. What made me pi$$ my pants was when I just glanced at the draw very quickly and at the bottom it had Becker from Germany...Benjamin Becker a qualifier haha! I was like no way, Fed is in trouble! :) A Becker 10 yrs ago would give more trouble to Fed on grass than anybody today, anybody else agree with that?

http://www.gerryweber-open.de/332.php

federerhoogenbandfan
06-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Safin is not playing the kind of tennis he did last year. If he and Fed meet it will be a romp for Federer. I cant see Federer not winning this event, it is clearly the weaker of the two main warm up events(Queens, Halle).

DariusRaiden
06-12-2006, 04:31 PM
"A Becker 10 yrs ago would give more trouble to Fed on grass than anybody today, anybody else agree with that?"

Agreed. The only reason Becker doesn't have 8 or 9 Wimbledons is because some Greek guy won it all the time.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-12-2006, 04:39 PM
"A Becker 10 yrs ago would give more trouble to Fed on grass than anybody today, anybody else agree with that?"

Agreed. The only reason Becker doesn't have 8 or 9 Wimbledons is because some Greek guy won it all the time.

If you are referring to Sampras Becker only really lost 1 Wimbledon because of Sampras(95), at most 2(93). So 4 or 5, as opposed to 8 or 9 is more likely without that Greek guy. Actually even in 95 it is doubtful he would have been able to beat Ivanisevic and Agassi back to back. He had trouble vs Ivanisevic during the mid 90s, and was crushed by him in the 94 semis, and against Agassi his semifinal win broke an 8-match losing streak, so beating those two back to back would probably have been unlikely anyway.

127mph
06-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Safin is not playing the kind of tennis he did last year. If he and Fed meet it will be a romp for Federer. I cant see Federer not winning this event, it is clearly the weaker of the two main warm up events(Queens, Halle).
if you look at safins website. you will see that he has got a haircut and claims it is a new era, and because of this i belive he will start to do well and catch fire eventually this year, perhaps in the harcourt season or in the indoor season and make it to the masters cup.

malakas
06-12-2006, 05:58 PM
if you look at safins website. you will see that he has got a haircut and claims it is a new era, and because of this i belive he will start to do well and catch fire eventually this year, perhaps in the harcourt season or in the indoor season and make it to the masters cup.

Maybe it's the haircut season?;)