PDA

View Full Version : Wilander's thoughts on the RG final (video)

SonicSpeed
06-13-2006, 11:55 AM
It's on the main page of his blog...I thought he was very candid and it was very refreshing to listen to him even if he did seem a bit drunk! haha He brings up a lot of good points and it shows how good of a strategist he is.
Maybe Roger should watch this. ;)

www.matswilander.com

dmastous
06-13-2006, 12:10 PM
He doesn't look as saused as other video posted here;
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=103765

splink779
06-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Very very nice

Cavaleer
06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Excellent. All the Federer excuse makers should watch this and then be silent.

They probably have and pretend it doesn't exist, hence the dearth of replies to this thread. LOL.

Cavaleer

Tennis_Goodness
06-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Most people including him are thinking Federer's problem is his mental ability against Nadal, not the phsycial problem. I think Wilander is being a little harsh on Federer. It is clay after all, his worst surface and he was up against one hell of a clay court player. Nadal could turn out to be one of the best clay courters ever so I think Wilander is a little off in some of his statements.

If Federer solves the mental problem then I don't think Nadal can hang with him!

Federer is trying to hit winners on clay and it's almost impossible to do that. I think because Federer is so good that it actually hurts him on clay! He think's he can win any way he wants and on clay you can't do that. If Federer learns this though then I think he will be able to win the French Open, maybe multiple times. He's still so so young and lets face it , he is more talanted then anybody in the game including Nadal and I think because of that if Federer does learn tactics on clay he can win it and beat Nadal doing it!

Federer is human and even Wilander has seemed to put Federer on a pedastal that no player is on or has been on. Did people think Federer would go his whole career without losing a grandslam final? Some of the things people are expecting from Federer are ridiculous. Federer made it to his first French Open final and faced the best clay court player and lost. You got to put it in perspective and look what is actually happening. Federer is having a better year then he he did last year and could have one of his best years again. If he wins the remaining slams that's two more in the bank. I think many people are jumping to conclusions. Federer is very young and his learning curve is crazy good! You can't count out the most talanted player in history because of one loss lmao!

superman1
06-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Nah, Federer just choked. I like Wilander's honesty. Fed once said that he hates the unforced error statistic especially against Nadal because he's trying to go for more, but dumping routine backhands into the net is just a case of having no balls.

Tennis_Goodness
06-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Once Federer learns Nadal's game more and develops his shots versus Nadal I think Federer will dominate him just like he's dominating everybody else. It just takes time for Federer!

35ft6
06-14-2006, 01:29 AM
I kind of think that Federer's ego wouldn't allow him to give it his all, and allow people to see him give it his all, to make it obvious that he could actually try his hardest and still lose. Yeah, he looked scared out there.

superman1
06-14-2006, 01:30 AM
That's what I thought, since it seemed that Federer was improving every time he played Nadal, but after seeing him play the worst match of his life against Nadal on Sunday, I'm thinking differently. Federer will need to change his entire outlook if he wants to beat Nadal. No more cool, casual Fed. He'd better stand up straight and show a little more energy.

Rataplan
06-14-2006, 01:48 AM
I don't think it's just a matter of choking really.

A lot of people who watched the match on tv, were amazed to see Federer's backhand failing so often. Right?

But, one commentator who had good seats (watching the game on ground level) said afterwards that it looked deceiving on tv.
The heat made Rafael's topspin work even better than, making the ball bounce up very high. It takes an immense effort to keep returning those high balls at shoulder heigth and higher.

I saw a picture of Federer returning one of those high bouncing top spin balls and Roger had to jump up quite high to do so. No wonder he was tired.

roundiesee
06-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the link Sonic, nice video and very honest views from Mats, certainly one of the most intelligent players to ever hold a racket. I think everyone's views on this thread are valid. Fed needs to be "tougher" the next time he plays Nadal and learn how to be more aggressive, not just in terms of tennis "tactics" but also "physically" as well. Easier said than done for Roger bec that's probably against his nature; but that's exactly the point- he needs to "change" because he is not playing an ordinary player when he faces Rafa. I am sure with a bit of patience he will get there some day......

splink779
06-14-2006, 05:11 AM
I kind of think that Federer's ego wouldn't allow him to give it his all, and allow people to see him give it his all, to make it obvious that he could actually try his hardest and still lose. Yeah, he looked scared out there.

While this is just a theory, I slightly agree. He probably doesn't want to look like a fool (too late though...) or look like he is desperately trying something different for risk of looking even worse. Sometimes I think he relies too much on talent. He needs more than that against Nadal.

Moose Malloy
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
"Nadal is the first player to challenge Federer in any way. After the first set today, Hewitt would have thrown in the towel, Roddick would have thrown in the towel. Everyone says Federer is too good, and he is too good, but they don't have the balls that Nadal has."

"He's not the best player ever, not by a long shot yet. You face him (Federer) against Jimmy Connors and I don't know that he's going to beat Jimmy Connors for two reasons here (Wilander points to groin)....Sports is about balls and about heart and you don't find too many champions in any sport in the the world without heart or balls. Against Nadal they shrink to a very small size and it's not once. Federer is going to win one in 10 (times) from the baseline against Nadal."

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15500&bannerregion=

stoneagle
06-14-2006, 12:06 PM
for as long as federer and nadal meet each other, nadal
will always dominate federer. if fed fans think,that
roger is getting closer in beating nadal, i don't think that's
the case. the more the years go by, the more tougher
for roger to beat nadal. if roger is improving,so is nadal.

look at their matches, roger never dominated nadal
in any of their 7 meetings. how can fed's fans, say: "that
sooner or later fed will get nadal". i doubt that very
much. nadal is far superior and more powerful than
roger when comparing them head to head.

ljubucic is so stupid, he looses, because nadal wants
to beat him. what is he; he thinks nadal doesn't want
to win or beat him. he was complaining and whining about
nadal rituals. that' just simply stupid and unsportsmanship.

if you loosed; you loosed period. no reasons.

rlbjr
06-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Fantastic videos. Can't get enough of that.

Don't believe for a minute that Federer is not capable of turning the trend against Nadal. He needs, most of all, a kick in the *** to remind himself of what he has to do to suceed. J Mac had the same situation against Lendl following their French final. Roger has all the shots. Once he figures out which ones work against Rafa, things will go the other way for a while. Then it will be Rafas turn to adapt.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-14-2006, 08:20 PM

I agree with you completely.

rmsblue
06-15-2006, 10:40 AM
I love Federer. I love his game and love demeanor as ambassador of the game But I have to agree with Mats - no b*lls!

I mean there was the whole tennis-loving world awaiting the match of the clay season and what does the mighty Fed do? Surrenders so meekly that he' should inherit the whole damn earth. He even surrendered that point in the 2nd set at 1-0, 40-0 without really having to. In fact, French TV showed he actually won that point!!!

I had the feeling he was saving himself for the grass court season which starts immediately the next week. Like to him it was a purely mathematical decision. That he's already gained points having gone one step further than last year's semi-final showing while Nadal just broke even. So why over-exert himself and hurt his chances to defend his points as champion in the next 2 grass events.

Mats is right - no b*lls man.

dh003i
06-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, after the last match, the way Federer abandoned what worked so well for him at Rome, I'd have to agree with that.

What I don't agree with is any of the non-sense about Federer calculating rank or anything like that. What's most important to him, and anyone else who knows anything about tennis, especially players, is grand slams. It's better to have the worst possible record you can have accross the tennis season while getting 3 or 4 grand slams, than to have an awesome record, except losing in the grand slams. It's better to be the #400 player and win a grand slam than to be the #1 and not win a grand slam.

I disagree that Federer needs to become all emotional. His calmness allows him to play more intelligently, and works with his style of play. He's a tactician, not a mindless grinder. That doesn't mean he can't have heard, but pulling a McEnroe is going to be counterproductive to him.

He ought to up his physical training, increasing his strength, so he can more consistently deal with those high backhand shots. Maybe work on his backhand technique for high backhand-shots. Improve his speed as well.

McEnroe turned it around against Lendl and dominated him. There's absolutely no reason Federer can't do the same against Nadal. But it would require him to stick to the same game plan that worked well in Rome. If Federer sticks with the game plan that worked for him in Rome, he can win the majority of matches against Nadal.

If he sticks with that gameplan, and increases his physical training, while improving his backhand, he'll dominate Nadal the same way McEnroe dominated Lendl.

I agree with Wilander. What Federer most needs is that mindset, where he goes a little outside of his comfort zone. Fed's not going to beat Nadal playing from the baseline: Wilander is right about that. And he can't let Nadal serve to his backhand. Interesting point by Wilander, that it was bad for Fed to win the 1st set so easily, because then he got in that mindset that he's going to win the FO by hitting winners, and win it easy, which isn't realistic. He needed to switch back to his Rome game plan. I like what Wilander said about how he just needs to either get in a mindset where he's like "I'll do anything to win it", or just work so hard that he just feels he can't lose it because he would have lost his hard work.

All in all, it's good for the possibilities for Federer, despite ranting Nadal fans. It's better to lose because you played with "no balls" than to lose because you just don't have the talent. One thing you can control, the other you can't. That was what Wilander was talking about. It's clearly something Federer can control.

Also, note, Wilander also said that he himself played with "no balls" at Wimbledon. But also said he lost an AO because he just went out and played with no balls.

Kid Carlos
06-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Federer must wake up the next time he has to play a final against Nadal at the French, execpt that his socks are going to get red and go out there for 5hours not worry about looking good technically and just get the job done with heart and guts.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
06-15-2006, 09:15 PM
i loved his quote...it went something like this

"In order to beat nadal you got to have some balls...federer has balls, but everytime he plays nadal, they shrink."

D-Bomb
06-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Another thought-provoking interview from Wilander. It's kinda funny to think about how we're saying that this is so smart and its exactly what Federer should do. Of course it's smart, it's coming from Mats Wilander. But say Federer were to stumble upon this video, would he get anything out of it? I would hope he would, since they all seem like good points. But something tells me he wouldn't really think much of it. In fact, I bet he's already discussed the same things a million times by now. It's interesting to think what Federer was really thinking in his match, since we don't know at all what was going through his mind. Still, I would love to see a conversation between Federer and Wilander about how to truly become the GOAT, which would probably include beating Nadal at the French, or even beating Nadal anywhere for that matter.

Anyway, I still think that was great analysis and hopefully Federer makes those changes next time he gets in a situation like the one in the FO final.

welcome2petrkordaland
06-15-2006, 10:57 PM
To dhoo3i,

The following statement, which refers to Federer, shows your lack of understanding of tennis, influenced partly, I assume, by your religious allegiance to Federer in light of his horrible results against Nadal.

Oh, so grinders are mindless and don't use strategy? Nice analysis, buddy. LOL :)

You should heed the comments J. Mac made about how many people don't appreciate Nadal's variety and point construction.

Clay courter "grinders" tend to employ the MOST strategy to win points, since the points are longer.

. . . another sad case of "shrunken balls"

BiGGieStuFF
06-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Man listening to Wilander has made me change my mindset about my own game. Thanks Mats =).

I've always wondered why I play basketball with a different mindset than I do with tennis. This is the exact reason. *points down*

totally new perspective now.

BiGGieStuFF
06-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Double post

BiGGieStuFF
triple post

BiGGieStuFF
quadruple post

dh003i
06-16-2006, 04:36 AM
Welcome2,

Really, you took all of that out of that one little comment? Maybe I should rephrase. I'm not trying to say there's no strategy in the grinder style. What I was referring to by "mindless" is players who just go all out and whack it as hard as they can, play as hard as they can, and have largely adrenalene (fight/flight) based game.

Federer's game is not an emotional, getting all riled up, game (like, say, Hewitt).

Isn't it obvious enough to see that -- aside from a occassionally to chastise himself, as he did at AO after a careless hit -- if he gets all emotionally riled up, like Nadal or Hewitt does, he's not going to play better?