PDA

View Full Version : Without a real rivalry Wimbledon is the most boring grand slam right now.

The Pusher Terminator
06-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Without a real rivalry Wimbledon is the most boring grand slam right now. The points will be over before you can blink and Fed will walk away with the championship. Is this what you Fed fans want? This is what tennis was like pre-Nadal. Its bad for the sport. Tennis is the most exciting when there is a contrast in styles & personality such as Fed & Nadal. Tennis has not been this exciting since Borg vs. Mcenroe. I can't wait for the US open. I am going to sleep right through wimbledon....in fact lets just give the trophy to Fed so we can get this over with and move on to the US Open. I CAN'T WAIT!

Rhino
06-14-2006, 06:54 AM
not as boring as this forum is becoming with these kinds of posts. There's already been some great matches at Queens that are very entertaining including the Nadal/Fish match that I'm watching on TV.
If you don't like Wimbledon don't watch it, but I'll be there.

The Pusher Terminator
06-14-2006, 07:18 AM
not as boring as this forum is becoming with these kinds of posts. There's already been some great matches at Queens that are very entertaining including the Nadal/Fish match that I'm watching on TV.
If you don't like Wimbledon don't watch it, but I'll be there.

well thats coming from a guy who thinks that a Nadal vs. Fish match on grass is exciting.

Rhino
06-14-2006, 07:28 AM
well thats coming from a guy who thinks that a Nadal vs. Fish match on grass is exciting.
Well are you watching it?
The first set was really interesting, watching Nadal adapting to the different court surface. Watching him vary his tactics and make an effort to keep Fish guessing. Also adding some subtlety to his backhand side, I'm enjoying it.
Do you only enjoy tennis when it's two close rivals in a final?

alienhamster
06-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Agreed. This is an interesting match so far.

ACE of Hearts
06-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Fish stinks.I wanna see a match like Ancic vs Nadal.

Moose Malloy
06-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Nadal has beaten Ancic on grass before.

ACE of Hearts
06-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Well Ancic is a much better player then Mardy Fish.

Moose Malloy
06-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Ancic is top 10. The only way Nadal would ever play him would be in the quarters(at least) of an event.

Fish may stink, but he has one of the best grasscourt records on tour(oddsmakers made him the favorite in this match)

simi
06-14-2006, 07:52 AM
deleted - contained spoiler content.

ACE of Hearts
06-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Hey Moose, i am hoping for Nadal vs Hewitt.Could happen in queens.If he beats Hewitt then we might see him make a step foward.

The Pusher Terminator
06-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Well are you watching it?
The first set was really interesting, watching Nadal adapting to the different court surface. Watching him vary his tactics and make an effort to keep Fish guessing. Also adding some subtlety to his backhand side, I'm enjoying it.
Do you only enjoy tennis when it's two close rivals in a final?

Fish sucks. John Mcenroe recently beat him in that team tennis thing. Although watching Mac and Hingis play doubles against fish and someone was cool.

Now to answer to your question.....is Nadal vs Fish interesting on grass....well compared to what? Sure its better than watching me play...but come on!!! I dont't need Nadal vs Fed final....but this is just not what I call exciting tennis. You are however entitled to your opinion....try not to bite your nails off during all the excitement....lol

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-14-2006, 09:49 AM
so pusher, if your saying Federer dominating Wimbledon is bad for the sport, the same can be sad for your boy Nadal dominating the French.

The Pusher Terminator
06-14-2006, 11:27 AM
so pusher, if your saying Federer dominating Wimbledon is bad for the sport, the same can be sad for your boy Nadal dominating the French.

No because a Nadal and Fed rivalry is great for the sport. Fed made it to the finals of the French...but Nadal won't even make it to the semi's of Wimbledon. We already know who will win Wimbledon and therefore its boring. We might as well just give the trophy to Fed now and move on to the US open where we can see some real exciting matches!

simi
06-14-2006, 11:41 AM
contents of this post voluntarily deleted in an effort to minimize trolling

Viper
06-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Fed won't win Wimby. I can already feel it.

The Pusher Terminator
06-14-2006, 01:04 PM
So, according to your thinking, (with editing), "We already know who will win the French Open and therefore it's boring. We might as well just give the trophy to Rafa now and move on to the US Open where we can see some real exciting matches!".

Oh I'd say thats some editing..BECAUSE I NEVER SAID ANYTHING LIKE THAT!!!
Now it is true that I did predict Nadal would win and I always knew that he would. Therefore for ME it can be argued it was boring....But MANY people did not agree with me! Therefore it made it exciting!!! Everyone had a different opinion as to who would win.

Wimbledon is a whole different story.....I think everyone on the planet agrees that Fed will win this thing.

fastdunn
06-14-2006, 01:13 PM
I still love to watch Wimbledon. There's always something different
about it. Whoever wins, it's always great tennis.

armand
06-14-2006, 01:21 PM
I like watching all these non grass big hitters playing Wimbledon, seeing how they adapt(usually not very well, but it's interesting nonetheless). Seeing how guys like Gonzo, Safin, Blake do is interesting.

Besides this, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Nadal, Agassi and Ljubicic will do as well.

ACE of Hearts
06-14-2006, 01:26 PM
I can see a point in Fed being mentally tired in wimbledon but he will give it his all.In order to beat Fed in wimbledon, it will take a Krajicek in the zone like in 96 against Pete.

VolklVenom
06-14-2006, 01:47 PM
i hope its not a Roddick final, that's all.

superman1
06-14-2006, 03:07 PM
This Federer/Nadal debacle is the most boring thing I've ever seen in tennis, mostly because of Federer. The ATP is huge and there are plenty of good match-ups to see. Not to mention the WTA and Hingis' return to Wimbledon. It should be awesome.

joy
06-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Without a real rivalry Wimbledon is the most boring grand slam right now. The points will be over before you can blink and Fed will walk away with the championship. Is this what you Fed fans want? This is what tennis was like pre-Nadal. Its bad for the sport. Tennis is the most exciting when there is a contrast in styles & personality such as Fed & Nadal. Tennis has not been this exciting since Borg vs. Mcenroe. I can't wait for the US open. I am going to sleep right through wimbledon....in fact lets just give the trophy to Fed so we can get this over with and move on to the US Open. I CAN'T WAIT!

If we think in the same context, French open and the entire clay season also should be termed very boring because Nadal always wins it and he has no rivals there. Is it not? Frankly where is the rivalry to Nadal at French open and clay in general? Please don't tell me Federer is his rival. At least in Wimbledon, there are a few people Roddick, Ljubicic, Karlovic, Blake etc who can trouble Federer on their day. In French open, there is absolutely nobody who can trouble Nadal. And I don't consider Federer Nadal a real rivalry as people showcase it to be, since Federer should atleast start winning a few of their battles to prove to be a Nadal's worthy rival. Right now, Nadal owns Federer. It's 6-1. Where is the rivalry here? According to me, it's Nadal who is absolutely dominating the sport right now and not Federer. Federer can win only on grass. On all other surfaces it is Nadal. Grass is Nadal's weakest surface and wimbledon is the only slam where others can atleast challenge him. And you say Wimbledon is boring? And frankly it is Nadal who has no rival to challenge him at the moment and in the near future. He is head and shoulders above the rest and again I say there is no rivalry for the top spot. Nadal owns it right now and will probably own it for the next 10 years as it is highly unlikely that somebody will emerge who can challenge him. Federer Nadal is a no rivalry and it's very pathetic to see Federer whenever he plays Nadal. It's like a sheep against tiger.

FEDEXP
06-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Just ignore the Pusher Man; these are not genuine threads they're troll threads.

OrangeOne
06-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Just ignore the Pusher Man; these are not genuine threads they're troll threads.

I second that. I know I'm adding to the post-count, and that's probably what Pusher wants, but this is yet another troll thread setup to allow yet more pointless mass-debating. And yes, I used that pun deliberately, as surely self-gratification is all that Pusher gets from this?

devila
06-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Federer after 1st round of Halle:

"Well, as long as I win it's all good. Expectations are not
very high in a first match like this. Especially coming from the final,
getting over it, more emotionally in a way, being exhausted from all
the pressure. Then three days later being on a totally different
surface in the first round best of three sets. It's such a big
difference that you can't expect yourself to play well."
"Getting used to quick points
instead of long rallies, getting used to the slice serve instead of the
kick serve, getting used to the little steps instead of the sliding. It
adds up and is a lot. This transition is tough and this is why we have
many players, who actually don't like this surface, who can't
really move on this surface. Thank God I'm not one of them."

bcaz
06-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Whatever the OP means by "right now," he/she hasn't been watching wimbledon in recent years.

The Pusher Terminator
06-15-2006, 02:54 AM
If we think in the same context, French open and the entire clay season also should be termed very boring because Nadal always wins it and he has no rivals there. Is it not? Frankly where is the rivalry to Nadal at French open and clay in general? Please don't tell me Federer is his rival. At least in Wimbledon, there are a few people Roddick, Ljubicic, Karlovic, Blake etc who can trouble Federer on their day. In French open, there is absolutely nobody who can trouble Nadal. And I don't consider Federer Nadal a real rivalry as people showcase it to be, since Federer should atleast start winning a few of their battles to prove to be a Nadal's worthy rival. Right now, Nadal owns Federer. It's 6-1. Where is the rivalry here? According to me, it's Nadal who is absolutely dominating the sport right now and not Federer. Federer can win only on grass. On all other surfaces it is Nadal. Grass is Nadal's weakest surface and wimbledon is the only slam where others can atleast challenge him. And you say Wimbledon is boring? And frankly it is Nadal who has no rival to challenge him at the moment and in the near future. He is head and shoulders above the rest and again I say there is no rivalry for the top spot. Nadal owns it right now and will probably own it for the next 10 years as it is highly unlikely that somebody will emerge who can challenge him. Federer Nadal is a no rivalry and it's very pathetic to see Federer whenever he plays Nadal. It's like a sheep against tiger.

WOW! Great analysis! I never really looked at it quite like that. You do make some VERY valid points. Bravo!