PDA

View Full Version : Brand image, player endorsment or racket play feeling?

Racketdesign
07-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Im interested to get some views... If we all agree that most pro players use paintjobs... do they really help sell serious players rackets ? Or is everyone buying their frames after demo's ?

kooyah
07-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Considering the number of people who think that paintjobs are a travesty and that manufacturers must allow us to buy the same racquets ones custom made for pros, I'm sure that there are LOTS of people who are influenced by player endorsements.

Personally, though, I go with a racquet that feels good when I'm playing with it, regardless of whether or not it is endorsed by anyone.

Smashlob
07-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Serious players are not where the money is at for these companies. Seeing Andy Roddick play with the Pure Team Drive MAKES SALES! regardless of it is really a Pure Team Drive+ or not.

07-07-2004, 05:30 PM
i think most player's, like people on this board no better and will test a racquet before buying it and/or go by the specs and customer feedback. But i do think pro players playing with paint jobs help the companies whether it be by getting people intriqued to find out what their favorite player is using (junior wannabee roddicks who think they will serve like him or the middle aged men looking for more pop) or people just interested in the new racquet who found out about by seeing it on t.v. So yes and no, it all depends on the person imo.

thejerk
07-07-2004, 07:20 PM
hey 16, most people will get what a player is using or what the jerk at the sporting good store tells them. I've listened to the jokers in the store and they always say to get the light crap. sometimes i pretend I don't know what i'm looking for and they will always tell you to get the biggest piece of crap they have. If you will notice the crappier a stick is the more expensive it will be. I think some people buy the crap because they think that they are getting what they are paying for. they don't know that they are paying for the biggest crap

07-07-2004, 07:45 PM
yep, thejerk last time i went to big 5 i saw a girl looking for a racquet and you could tell the sales people didn't no anything.
I guess there are some player's that can fall into the trap and end up with a wilson 2.0. which probably says retial 300$ and is 100$ at big 5, so the person thinks its gotta be great.

raven5288
07-07-2004, 08:15 PM
yeah, big 5 is a joke. I go to tennis only stores and sometimes country clubs for my stuff. Franchises like Cardinals and Big 5 aren't knowledgeable at all about tennis. A cardinals here is selling wilson stamina at 34.95!! And that's without stringing! Ludicrous I tell you. Academy has pretty good prices for frames, but their sales people don't know squat.

I also hate how every junior high kid and their dog plays a PD standard or plus! It's so annoying to see how little junior high kids think they're automatically going to be serving 100+. It makes it worse if they are arrogant about it too and start smack talking about my puny racket. (LM prestige...pssssh). I swear, this kid was driving me off the hook. At least it's better where I am on the high school level where we start to see that power isn't everything. It's mostly pro staffs and other player's frames, but there are some good kids that play with the PD very well. Well, what can you do. Kids see andy roddick want his serve. First thing they will do is get the same stuff he has.

Steve Huff
07-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Babolat wouldn't be one of the hottest rackets made today if it weren't for the people, especially Roddick, endorsing and/or playing with them. I'd say at least 1/3 of the middle school boys either have one or are begging their moms for one. It's no different now than it was 30 years ago. The t2000 would have been just another KMart special if Connors didn't use it. The Maxply would have been just another good looking woodie if McEnroe didn't make it famous. Even Chemold, one of the poorest rackets made, an aluminum racket with the throat piece riveted in, sold tons because Laver and Court tried using them. I even bought a Head Arthur Ashe Comp--1) because it was new and looked cool, and 2) if it was good enough for a pro, it should be good enough for me--my 16 yr old logic then. It turned out to be flexible in the head, had poor stability (worse than a good wood), and a small sweetspot. Why do you think the Evert Auto was such a good seller?

07-08-2004, 05:47 AM
IMHO once you acquire a fairly good skill/competency level (say around 4.5 or so for the sake of arguement only) you should be able to feel the differences in racquet flex patterns, SW, balance, spin potential etc.....Equipment performance is (should be) a concern and should be taken seriously enough so that you know what you do/don't like in a racquet. At this level vanity should play NO role in what racquet you buy whether or not you believe paint jobs exist.

Feņa14
07-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Roddick using a Babolat has actually put me off them. I would hate to have a game like him. I want to work hard for my points.

I like using rackets that are older than me, I currently have a POG made in 1984. I also like the Dunlop Max200. It annoys me aswell when they come with their babolat's and they think they are the best. I just laugh and show them how it's done with a Players frame.

And I hear Don is getting the POG 100 Longbody back!!!!

-Liam

Racketdesign
07-08-2004, 06:49 AM
Interesting comments guys, thanks. Its good to hear that some other people share my dislike of the PD phenomenon! Don't forget to email me if you have any specific questions about any dunlop frames that I developed, or if you want news about my future business plans.

jayserinos99
07-08-2004, 09:31 AM
^^^ exactly 007. i personally go on these forums, look at the specs and then demo the racquet. if it feels good, i'm all over it.

as for big 5, they're only good for the absorbmor overgrip (that's teh only place i see where it's offered around here) and the occasional decent racquet like a rd-7 or a pt 280 on clearance.

RipinRandy
07-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Actually, I have been more interested in the racquets used by unknown pros. Guys/Girls outside the top 150 or 200. We have a challenger tourny were I live and I find it interesting which racquets these guys/girls choose for their livelyhood. I mean--there must be some reason for them to pick a certain racket, right? Then I try out the racquets of the players whose games I liked or wanted to emulate. I try to figure out why a pro might choose a particular racquet. Alot of the time I see what they liked about it, but it doesnt work for me. But, sometimes I find a good racquet that I never would've tried, unless I had seen the pros play with it. Also, this site is a great resource for info on quality raquets. I.E. Head Prestige series, POGs, certain Prostaffs, Volkl C-10, etc. I don't think most players here on the board use paint jobs, but if the racquet companies realized how many racquets they sale here...who knows? :lol:

SC in MA
07-08-2004, 12:12 PM
I think I'm influenced by a number of factors. TW reviews, TW message board folks, and other good local players I play & see. I don't think the top pros are an influence on me, at least not consciously.

In the case of Babolat, which is the last stick I bought, maybe the cumulative number of pros who were using that brand, plus some good local players I saw who were using it were the major influencers. I wondered what the mystique was so I demoed a bunch of them. I ended up buying a Pure Control 2001, which is the only Bab. I thought would suit my game. I used it for about 6 months. I found that my more manueverable HPS 6.1 was a better fit for my game, so I went back to it.

Currently, the TW staff review (of the nCode 6.1 95) and especially the message board reviews has definitely influenced my decision to give the nCode 6.1 95 & 90 a try.