PDA

View Full Version : LOL...Federer holding runner-up trophy on TW homepage!

monologuist
06-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Is this a cruel joke by TW?! That has to be the first time I've ever seen anyone holding up a second-place trophy, actually, I'm wrong, not a trophy but a "tray", on the TW homepage! And it is definitely the first time I've seen Federer hoisting a runner-up trophy from a major...surreal stuff.

What do you think Fed does with his runner-up trophies/trays?

ACE of Hearts
06-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Fed needs to be more fierce against Nadal, otherwise he will be holding those if they meet in the finals when it does happen again.

Cyclops
06-14-2006, 06:10 PM
He'll probably use it to go snow boarding when he gets home! (If he ever gets a chance to go home)

BabolatFan
06-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Is this a cruel joke by TW?! That has to be the first time I've ever seen anyone holding up a second-place trophy, actually, I'm wrong, not a trophy but a "tray", on the TW homepage! And it is definitely the first time I've seen Federer hoisting a runner-up trophy from a major...surreal stuff.

I don't know...slam it on your head with it?

LowProfile
06-14-2006, 06:15 PM
No idea what Federer does with his runner-up trophies, but he certainly doesn't have that many of them.

Safin is in the habit of just leaving his runner-up trophy on court after the award ceremony.

siber222000
06-14-2006, 06:52 PM
I don't know...slam it on your head with it?
yeah i also think that too

Dan007
06-14-2006, 07:09 PM
He'll probably use it to go snow boarding when he gets home! (If he ever gets a chance to go home)

No, he'll actually use it as a tray. He'll put in under his dishes when eating and for many other stuff you use trays for.

JayxTheKoolest
06-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Fed's holding the runner-up trophy as well.....

Viper
06-14-2006, 08:37 PM
My little bro asked if he was going to make cookies <_<

HyperHorse
06-14-2006, 08:45 PM
maybe he's proud to reached the French Open final???
so he has reached the final of all 4 grand slams...
only players in the last 20yrs who have done that were...
Courier, Agassi, Edberg...
so Roger is part of a very elite group...

Viper
06-14-2006, 08:47 PM
<This post was deleted at the request of Viper, but it doesn't matter because you can read it in the post below :D>

HyperHorse
06-14-2006, 08:50 PM
I heard somewhere that 2 people reach the French Open final every year. Must have been a rumor.

doh, go read my EDITED post. i left out one very important sentence.

Viper
06-14-2006, 09:33 PM
doh, go read my EDITED post. i left out one very important sentence.
i know, I was just trying to help you corect it :mrgreen:

bismark
06-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Don't worry, Fed will get used to it.

superman1
06-15-2006, 12:39 AM
That's such a common image these days. Nadal smiling and biting his winner's trophy and Federer at the side looking smaller and holding a smaller trophy.

croatian sensation
06-15-2006, 06:15 AM
Hehe trays...I always remember Goran..how he said if he got another "tray" in the Wimby 2001 he'd have killed himself, or something like that. I can really imagine him using those Wimby runner up trophys as plates during dinner.

Andres
06-15-2006, 06:20 AM
LOL! I remember the very same thing, but I think he refers directly to them as "plates". I actually recall reading somewhere about him using the playes for dinner (obviously, joking), but I can't find the source :p

This is all I got

"I might play in another final there and don't want that stupid (runner's up) plate for a fourth time. I am going to win Wimbledon one day -- even if it is the over 40s doubles ..."

Q. How many times you sat and watched someone else go through the trophy presentation, talk about being in it and holding a cup instead of a plate?
GORAN IVANISEVIC: That was the first time I didn't go first, you know. I was surprised. I wanted to go first. He said, "No, no, no, no, you are second." I say, "Oh, good." Because I am used to going first, take the plate (bowing).
Today, I can't believe I'm going there and going to take the trophy. So many great names on that trophy. It's great, you know. I always see these guys kissing the trophy, lifting the trophy. Can't get better. Biggest thing ever happen to me."

‘Everything was there last year for me to win, and I was so surprised,’ he says. ‘I was so sure I was going to win, and it was just one, two points, and everything goes. But hopefully this year will be better, you know. Three times holding this plate, it’s no fun.’

Q. You're the first wildcard to reach a Grand Slam final. How can you describe what that means?
GORAN IVANISEVIC: That means everything to me. You know, like I said, if somebody one month ago told me, "Here is the paper to sign that you going to be in the final of Wimbledon, but you have to lose," I say, "Give me the paper, I sign."
But now, you know, I don't want to get another plate. I have already three plates. If some angel comes tonight in my dreams and say, "Okay, Goran, you going to win Wimbledon tomorrow, but you not able to touch the racquet ever again in your life," I say, "Okay, I rather take that and then never play tennis again in my life."