PDA

View Full Version : Philippoussis denied Wild Card for Wimbledon!

tennisjunkiela
06-14-2006, 07:59 PM
It seems that 2003 Wimbledon finalist Mark Philippoussis has been denied a wild card for this year's Wimbledon and will have to go through qualies.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-stellaphilippoussis&prov=reuters&type=lgns

I like Philippoussis but I think that it's kinda of sad that he has decided, at age 29, to finally get serious about his tennis and his talent. I know he's battled a lot of injuries but he certainly not known for having the best work ethic either.

This year alone, he gotten a slew of wildcards but hasn't won very many matches. I guess the big wigs at Wimbledon finally said enough is enough.

In golf, defending champions can play indefinitely, even if they are not competitive anymore. Do you think tennis should extend similar privileges to grand slam finalists like Philippoussis? Your thoughts?

ACE of Hearts
06-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Its a big time shame.He still hasnt giving up hope.I wonder who they gave the wildcard too?

MasterTS
06-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Thats great.. now if they would deny the biggest WC leach of all time, Donald Young, at the USO!

OrangeOne
06-14-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm a little surprised they didn't give him one - I know it's totally their decision - but yeah. Especially disappointing for him given he's actually won a couple of matches at Queens, incl. beating Grosjean in a tight 3-setter.

serveBig
06-14-2006, 08:40 PM
He could still get one... as far as i know they have only announced 3 of a possible 8 WC'S... i think it might be more of a case of wimbledon officials wanting to see some results first - they hopefully are waiting to see how he does at queens. There is still hope he will get one. But its good mark isnt counting on it and preparing himself to play qualies. He seems very humble and honest about the situation.

BeautyVenus
06-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Mark could of been a great player. He's a part of the LOST GENERATION.
It was a generation of players that were 5 or 6 years younger than Agassi and Sampras that did NOT make the impact that this current generation is achieving. The LOST GENERATION were born in the late 1970s did manage to reach two grand slam finals though and that's more than a lot of players. Some players only manage to reach one final. However, I feel Mark was so lazy for so long. And its sad very sad he's 29 years old. He doesn't have Agassi's talent. Although Andre did win slams at age 29. Its kind of sad the generation after Agassi and Sampras the people born between 1975 to 1979 did produce good players but they weren't able to really make some damage during the Sampras, Agassi era.

Thomas Johnansson
Born 1975 won 1 grand slam the Australian Open

Kuerten born in 1976 did reach no.1 and did win 3 grand slams titles he was the best player of this generation.

Moya also born in 1976 he won 1 slam title and did reach no.1

Rios born in 1975 did reach the world no.1 however he did not win a slam.

hoosierbr
06-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Flip didn't deserve a wildcard for Wimbledon and I think he knows it and accepts it. Read his interview from the Queen's Club today and he talks about it. He says he's happy to play qualies and do what it takes to get back on track. It seems his attitude is finally there. Now as long as the body and work ethic hold up he should make strides.

OrangeOne
06-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Flip didn't deserve a wildcard for Wimbledon and I think he knows it and accepts it. Read his interview from the Queen's Club today and he talks about it. He says he's happy to play qualies and do what it takes to get back on track. It seems his attitude is finally there. Now as long as the body and work ethic hold up he should make strides.

I agree - and in fact I think his attitude (seems) to have been great for the last year or two, but his body keeps letting him down.

If he can beat Grosjean in the second round at Queens, he should indeed qualify.... unless he has an off day or meets someone else in a similar position to him!

serveBig
06-14-2006, 09:23 PM

funny thing is he's been talking like this for well over a year now.. but niggling injuries have really screwed things up - esp last year with all the ankle problems, and this year he's had bad back problems also got another injection into his knee 2months ago.. his attitude and work ethic have been really good since start of 2005 - he just hasnt been able to stay injury free long enough to build on it.

Hopefully he can get through the grass season without any setbacks and make some progress up the rankings.

lacoster
06-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, he must prove himself by breezing past the qualifying rounds at this point....it was three years ago since he produced quality results on court.
________
MEXICO HOTELS (http://mexicocityhotel.info)

equinox
06-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Hmm, he beat grosjean huh?

If he makes the Queens QF's, wimbledon should give him a wild card for sure.

baseliner
06-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Flip plays #6 seed Fernando Gonzalez in 3rd round at Stella Artois today.

baseliner
06-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Phillippo and Gonz. split sets on serve at 1-1 in the 3rd

baseliner
06-15-2006, 05:11 AM
SORRY. Should have posted in other forum. My deepest apologies!!!!!

Andres
06-15-2006, 05:12 AM
No WC? That means No Fancy Dreamy Run, like 2001's famous WC... :lol:

Kobble
06-15-2006, 06:17 AM
The qualies should be no problem for him. He should straight set into the manin draw.

AAAA
06-15-2006, 06:19 AM
It seems injuries have made him uncompetitive so he should not be given a wildcard.

Tchocky
06-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Have you guys seen this guy's fiance? She's young, pretty and comes from money...I can't really feel bad for the guy.

nn
06-15-2006, 06:33 AM
he is now useless..keep asking for WC..never try to play smaller tourney and get points to go up (like agassi) but hey he sucks in that area..no hard work only easy way to go up

guernica1
06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
I think he would try to grind away in challengers and such but I really doubt his knees can take the pounding of 2-3 qualy matches then trying to win 5 more matches.

Hardcourt season is coming up; anyone remember that gruesome knee wobbling around when he came down on an overhead at USO a few years ago?

Grass is the only surface this guy can really play week in week out on I think.