PDA

View Full Version : 2004: Year of the players racquet?

@wright
03-03-2004, 03:34 PM
It seems strange and oddly exciting that this many players racquets are slated to come out in a short period of time: LM Prestige, RDX 500 & 300, Tour 95, NXG Graphite, Tour Diablo, V Engine 9 & 10, and maybe a few others. It seems like this is the most players bats to come out at the same time in awhile, or is it the crack? Did someone at the racquet companies get a clue?

edge
03-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah, after the tweeners wars led by Babolat's Pure Drive Plus, the racquet manufacturers left a big gap in player's racquets. Now with the all court one-handers, Federer and Henin, at #1, the mfg's are coming out with an abundance of players' sticks.

@wright
03-03-2004, 07:28 PM
I guess the racquet world has just pulled a full circle. Nevertheless, it is something to be excited about if you're in the market, which I'm not. There are several new racquets that I'd like to try out though.

jings
03-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Could add the new Slazenger to that list as well I guess. Round of applause for the racquet designers. Now all they have to do is start offering some level of customisation so that we can really have some fun.

python
03-04-2004, 01:35 PM
<shrugs> I don't think there's anything purposeful here. All racquet manufacturers put out a new player's racquet each year or they at least update an old model somehow.

It's not like there was a dearth of players racquets to begin with. Dunlop, Head, Wilson, Volkl, even PK all have suitable models in their lines for those who like players racquets.

moonshine
03-04-2004, 05:26 PM
I agree, python. Most players who would choose a "player's" racquet remain stubbornly loyal to their racquet, often only changing due to injury or discontinuation. As an example, just count the number of postings placed by POG or Original Pro Staff owners who still swear by these racquets. The new technology usually impacts those lower-level players who are quick to buy into new fads and gimmicks.

@wright
03-04-2004, 07:12 PM
I think everyone knows a couple "players" who use different racquets all the time. I know a guy who is constantly switching between Estusa PBP and PBB and the Tour 90. It is generally true that players racquet users switch less frequently.

Deuce
03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
'Player's racquets' are not nearly what they used to be.

Stiffness increases while weight decreases. The Prestige line is a typical example of this unfortunate trend.

What is called a 'player's racquet' today would have been a 'tweener' 5 or 6 years ago.

Quite sad.