PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon and French are really scheduled too close.

MaxT
06-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I read that Fed only had three days between the final and his first grass match. I guess Nadal the same. Three days is barely enough for a shower and some stretching, after traveling. If you have injuries from the long clay season, bad luck. No wonder the players are injured and all out before year-end. This is really not optimum. Even for the fans, they are not getting quality matches. After Fed's first match, he said, "I really didn't expect much out this match, after ," understandably.

Moose Malloy
06-15-2006, 08:59 AM
No one is forcing Fed to play this week. The schedule has always been this way, going back to Laver & Co.

Rickson
06-15-2006, 08:59 AM
I read that Fed only had three days between the final and his first grass match. I guess Nadal the same. Three days is barely enough for a shower and some stretching, after traveling. If you have injuries from the long clay season, bad luck. No wonder the players are injured and all out before year-end. This is really not optimum. Even for the fans, they are not getting quality matches. After Fed's first match, he said, "I really didn't expect much out this match, after ," understandably.
Oh well, that's how it's always been just like every year we get another thread about how Wimbledon and TFO are too close.

simi
06-15-2006, 09:05 AM
It would be desirable to have them further apart, but due to climate patterns in Northern Europe, changing the schedule probably won't happen.

JayxTheKoolest
06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
That's what it takes to be a number one tennis player. Plus, they love playing tennis, so I doubt three days is too little for them.

Rickson
06-15-2006, 09:30 AM
It's not gonna change and that's that.

FiveO
06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
...and making Borg's 3 back to back championships at those venues almost beyond belief.

Rabbit
06-15-2006, 09:39 AM
here here!

Rickson
06-15-2006, 09:49 AM
...and making Borg's 3 back to back championships at those venues almost beyond belief.
You know it!

and then I said
06-15-2006, 10:03 AM
so.........

fastdunn
06-15-2006, 10:22 AM

As I understand, Wimbledon officials did think about it when they
were thinking about how to bring in more of main stream tennis,
baseline tennis.

Well, I don't know their conclusion. They at least changed the type of
grass with thicker ones to slow down the speed and make it more bouncier.
And then they do these things like using slightly big heavy balls,
and opening them well before the match.

superman1
06-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Well, it's good for the fans. We don't get the Grand Slam blues that we do after the Australian and the US Open, knowing that we're not going to see another Slam for months. Just wait a couple weeks and we get more beautiful tennis, this time on a completely opposite surface.

gully
06-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Is there any particular reason Wimbledon needs to run when it does? If it ran one week later in the season, there'd be time for just one more week of grass tune-ups, and one of them -- Queens, perhaps? -- could be elevated to Masters status.

Also, if there were a few more points available for grass-court play, the AELTC could dispense with its formula-based seeding.

Shabazza
06-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Is there any particular reason Wimbledon needs to run when it does? If it ran one week later in the season, there'd be time for just one more week of grass tune-ups, and one of them -- Queens, perhaps? -- could be elevated to Masters status.

Also, if there were a few more points available for grass-court play, the AELTC could dispense with its formula-based seeding.
A week more to prepare on grass, with maybe a Master-tourney wouldn't hurt, but it's not gonna happen.

Tchocky
06-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Duh...players and fans have been saying this for years. Have you just started following the game.

Craig Sheppard
06-16-2006, 09:13 AM
It would be desirable to have them further apart, but due to climate patterns in Northern Europe, changing the schedule probably won't happen.

They're building a retractable roof at Wimbledon, and I thought the lastest proposal was to move Wimby back 1 week, earliest possible is 2009... but if it wasn't agreed upon by the end of this year, it'd probably be '10. They comment on this every year, how "already agreed upon commitments" prevent them from moving it.

However, with the Olympics headed for London in 2012, something might actually get done... The roof will be done before then, and if that's the case, they might be able to reschedule. I bet it'll change within 10 years. The British do move quickly when they need to. ;)

alienhamster
06-16-2006, 07:24 PM
They're building a retractable roof at Wimbledon, and I thought the lastest proposal was to move Wimby back 1 week, earliest possible is 2009... but if it wasn't agreed upon by the end of this year, it'd probably be '10. They comment on this every year, how "already agreed upon commitments" prevent them from moving it.

However, with the Olympics headed for London in 2012, something might actually get done... The roof will be done before then, and if that's the case, they might be able to reschedule. I bet it'll change within 10 years. The British do move quickly when they need to. ;) Unless they're in a queue . . .

But yeah, what everyone else said. Especially gully: WHY IS IT SO HARD TO ADD JUST ONE MORE WEEK ON GRASS AND PROVIDE ONE GRASS TMS EVENT?

Btw, good to see you again, Craig. Where'd the family guy avatar go?

Craig Sheppard
06-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Unless they're in a queue . . .

But yeah, what everyone else said. Especially gully: WHY IS IT SO HARD TO ADD JUST ONE MORE WEEK ON GRASS AND PROVIDE ONE GRASS TMS EVENT?

Btw, good to see you again, Craig. Where'd the family guy avatar go?

Yeah, I don't see the big deal either. The only legitimate thing I heard last year was that the AELTC has said it had already made commitments through 2008, so that would be the abo****e soonest they could move anything. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me... just an extra week would help, maybe an extra event, or even <gulp> a week off...

Thanks alien... nice to be back & playing again. Brian (Family guy) pic is still there for me? hmm...