PDA

View Full Version : Is using a leather grip that much of a benifit?

spres
07-07-2004, 09:25 PM
One of my friends has a leather grip on his racket and puts an overgrip on top. This gives him a hard surface for the over grip as well as the high absortion of an over grip. Is it really worth having the leather underneath if you have to pay ten to twenty dollars for it.

tennisnj
07-08-2004, 03:01 PM
What's the allure of a leather grip? I've hit a few balls over the years w/people's racquets w/leather grips & instantly I've gotten blisters from their grips. Not only that, but I get these pains in my fingers from gripping the racquet as well. I'm not knocking leather users, but what does leather have that say an overgrip doesn't? I currently swear by Yonex Supergrap White....

Kirko
07-08-2004, 06:48 PM
A good leather grip is hard to top; it does not have to be fairway although I prefer them . some leather grips today are bleak . The only other leather I prefer is Prince although the new wilson leather grips on the N-Code feel great also !

jayserinos99
07-09-2004, 12:28 PM
i'm one that uses a leather grip w/ an overgrip. i like to feel the bevels of the grip yet have that nice tackiness of an overgrip. i tried using a plain leather grip once and i felt that it may slip out of my hand (and this was with a Fairway) so i went back to using an overgrip on it.

Burt Turkoglu
07-10-2004, 04:35 PM
.....I bought my 1st leather grip over 4 months ago....I am still using it.....I love the feel....the tackiness.....and it has made my racket a little more evenly balanced.....I have no problem with blisters....I also play 5 times a week in humid Florida....I used to go through synthetics once every 2 weeks.....it's been a win-win for me....

Power Game
07-10-2004, 06:03 PM
I just use them because they came with my racquet, although I really like the feel with an overgrip on top I am having blister problems

louisc
07-13-2004, 07:41 AM
the higher density of a leather grip, as opposed to the lower density of foam-backed grips, increases feel. it acts as a better conductor from frame to hand. the flip side is that it does not shield vibration in the way a foam-backed synthetic grip will. it will also help pronounce the handle bevels.

there is a racquet tech in london, england, who bought up a lot of the fairway stock, both premium and second quality. there is talk of balmforth (the original english manufacturers) reintroducing fairways, either themselves of under licence.