PDA

View Full Version : Seles vs. Nadal - Who's better on grass?

HollerOne5
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Obviously, not versus each other, but versus their respected competition. Both get/got a bunch of crap for not being able to play on grass, yet both can/could dominate most of the tour on other surfaces. Both have an unorthodox style of play, and both give/gave the world #1 (Graf/Federer) fits and mental headaches. Well?

Moose Malloy
06-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Seles made the finals at Wimbledon. Not her best surface, but she was still top 2 on it before getting stabbed.

I do see some similarity between the 2, probably the most intense, competitive players I've seen last 15 years.

HollerOne5
06-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Seles made the finals at Wimbledon. Not her best surface, but she was still top 2 on it before getting stabbed.

I do see some similarity between the 2, probably the most intense, competitive players I've seen last 15 years.

Both lefties, both intense, both grunt, both have their share of fans and non-fans (usually the hardcore Graf and Federer fans). Biggest difference is that Nadal is in shape, Seles was not.

Shabazza
06-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Never saw both playing when they were "on grass" ;)

anonymous2364
06-16-2006, 07:29 AM
cant compare

Warriorroger
06-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Both lefties, both intense, both grunt, both have their share of fans and non-fans (usually the hardcore Graf and Federer fans). Biggest difference is that Nadal is in shape, Seles was not.

You want to make Graf/Federer fans into Seles/Nadals haters. As much as I love Steffi and Roger, I enjoy and appreciate the talent and work ethic of Monica and Rafael as well.

LowProfile
06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Seles on grass was like Federer on clay. Not number one, but a solid and definite number two. In no way is Nadal the number two player on grass.

Warriorroger
06-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Seles on grass was like Federer on clay. Not number one, but a solid and definite number two. In no way is Nadal the number two player on grass.

Neither was Seles. In 1990 she lost to Zina Garrison, which wasn't a shame since Graf also lost to Garrison. In her prime, she 1st didn't show up for mysterious reasons. The second time she was trashed by Graf, and afterwards excuses were made for her lack of grunting.

Monica was a great player on clay and slightly slower hardcourts. Her movement from left to right was good, but on grass she was out of her league. She was no number 2 on grass, ever.

HollerOne5
06-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Neither was Seles. In 1990 she lost to Zina Garrison, which wasn't a shame since Graf also lost to Garrison. In her prime, she 1st didn't show up for mysterious reasons. The second time she was trashed by Graf, and afterwards excuses were made for her lack of grunting.

Monica was a great player on clay and slightly slower hardcourts. Her movement from left to right was good, but on grass she was out of her league. She was no number 2 on grass, ever.

If she wasn't number 2 on grass in 1992, then who was? Was it Narvratilova, the person seles beat at Wimbledon that year?

You are an insane Steffi freak, is your name Gunther?

Warriorroger
06-17-2006, 04:09 AM
If she wasn't number 2 on grass in 1992, then who was? Was it Narvratilova, the person seles beat at Wimbledon that year?

You are an insane Steffi freak, is your name Gunther?

Here we go again. Why are you doing this?

federerhoogenbandfan
06-17-2006, 11:45 AM
This thread is a joke. Seles has made a Wimbledon final, and made atleast the quarters or betters over half the times she has played Wimbledon. She took Davenport to 3 sets on grass the year after Davenport won Wimbledon, and beat Navratilova on grass.

Also Nadal dominates one surface-clay, Seles dominated all surfaces except grass.

HollerOne5
06-17-2006, 12:16 PM
This thread is a joke. Seles has made a Wimbledon final, and made atleast the quarters or betters over half the times she has played Wimbledon. She took Davenport to 3 sets on grass the year after Davenport won Wimbledon, and beat Navratilova on grass.

Also Nadal dominates one surface-clay, Seles dominated all surfaces except grass.

Uh oh, you better watch what you say. You know that "Gunther" is whipping up a post right now to contradict your statement "Seles dominated on all surfaces except grass," because you know he/she feels that Graf dominated on every surface, even during Seles' prime. But all you would have to do is point out who won 7 out of 8 slams (reaching the final in the other) of her last 8 slams played before the stabbing.....

Warriorroger
06-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Uh oh, you better watch what you say. You know that "Gunther" is whipping up a post right now to contradict your statement "Seles dominated on all surfaces except grass," because you know he/she feels that Graf dominated on every surface, even during Seles' prime. But all you would have to do is point out who won 7 out of 8 slams (reaching the final in the other) of her last 8 slams played before the stabbing.....

it's a he.

HollerOne5
06-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Yes, Gunther is a he....

Warriorroger
06-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Yes, Gunther is a he....

How you managed to edit your op without getting noticed is beyond me. You are probably close with the moderator. Anyway, the act of a coward.

Steve Dykstra
06-18-2006, 05:44 AM
How you managed to edit your op without getting noticed is beyond me. You are probably close with the moderator. Anyway, the act of a coward.

If you edit your post within a minute or so, it doesn't show up as being edited.

lucky leprechaun
06-18-2006, 06:28 AM
You want to make Graf/Federer fans into Seles/Nadals haters. As much as I love Steffi and Roger, I enjoy and appreciate the talent and work ethic of Monica and Rafael as well.

Wow I didn't realize it but I too fit into the graf/federer side of things :D I guess different folks gravitate toward certain types of players. I don't hate seles/nadal but they can't ever be my favorite players just because the way they play.

Warriorroger
06-18-2006, 08:05 AM
If you edit your post within a minute or so, it doesn't show up as being edited.

Thanks for sharing, but he didn't do it within a minute, days have gone bye til he changed it. So there's something strange about it.