PDA

View Full Version : Any chance that Fed will be upset at Wimby?

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Fed is the overwhelming favorite to win Wimbledon, and it be fair to say he will win his 4th straight title at the All England Club. With that being said I was wondering if a good grasscourt player ( Henman, A-Rod, Hewitt) might breeze through the tournament and upset Fed to take the title. Do you think he will be upset this year?

quest01
06-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Only if Fed gets injured.

ACE of Hearts
06-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Anything is possible in this sport.I think the key early matches can always be dangerous.As a Fed fan, i hope he repeats as champion since he is the best right now on Grass.I expect Hewitt, Roddick to be there, quarters, semis, or final.

JayxTheKoolest
06-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Anything is possible, but I highly doubt Fed will let Wib slip away after what happened at the French.

knasty131
06-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I am a diehard Fed fan...but saying an upset isnt possible would take a lot of the fun of watching and playing any sport...but hey...GO FED!!!

Feņa14
06-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I love Federer but I feel his aura has been tarnished slightly by Nadal beating him in all these finals.

People will feel they have the best chance of beating Federer on grass for a few years now. His backhand just fell apart against Nadal and he is looking a bit precarious in Halle at the moment.

I believe Henman and Ancic have the best chances. Henman at Wimbledon could do anything and he is playing some good ball on the grass so far, and Ancic played great on the clay and he lives for the grass courts, not to mention hes already beaten Federer on centre court before.....

Hopefully Tim "The Hitman" Henman will be your man to get rid of the Artful Roger ;)

ACE of Hearts
06-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Lets not forget he is adjusting to the grass.Once he feels comfortable, he will be dancing on the grass.;)

Rickson
06-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Fed is the overwhelming favorite to win Wimbledon, and it be fair to say he will win his 4th straight title at the All England Club. With that being said, I was thinking if maybe some good grasscourt player ( Hewitt, A-Rod, Henman) would breeze through the tournament & upset Fed to take the title. Think this is a possibility?
It won't happen because he's angry enough to play harder than ever.

LowProfile
06-15-2006, 08:25 PM
There is always a chance. But let's put it this way. Federer has far less chance of losing at Wimbledon than Nadal does at the French (and Nadal is pretty damn dominant on the dirt).

dh003i
06-16-2006, 05:40 AM
This board's a laugh. The 43% of people who voted for Federer being upset are nutty.

Sure, he has a chance to be upset. But the question asks, "Will he be upset?", which to me implies more than a 50% probability of him not winning Wimbledon. I think that's ridiculous.

Nadal's game doesn't work well on grass, and no-one else can consistently get to any of Federer's weaknesses; furthermore, on grass, his strengths are accentuated.

PS: Just noticed, there are two conflicting questions. The poll asks, "Will Federer be upset?", the post asks, "Any chance Federer will be upset?" These are two completely different questions. The odds that there is "any chance" Federer will be upset are certainly greater than the odds that he will actually be upset.

Dilettante
06-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Anything is possible, but I don't see any way that Federer could be upset by any player, if Fed is healhty.

Saito
06-16-2006, 06:11 AM
Not anytime soon. If OP is looking for a different answer from me, the question must be re-worded.

35ft6
06-16-2006, 06:31 AM
He's not looking so hot right now. An upset seems possible. Who knows how much of his self belief was compromised by his French Open loss.

It's not simply that he lost because Nadal is clearly the stronger clay court player. It's how scared, confused, and ineffectual he looked on the court. If I'm a player who always thought Federer was invincible, it's kind of like seeing your father scared for the first time, you realize that your dad's a mere mortal and maybe that's how some players see Federer now. I haven't seen him look that timid in a long time.

urban
06-16-2006, 07:45 AM
It is a question of the draw. Players like Tursonov, Gasquet, yes Safin could be dangerous early on. There are not many genuin grass courters in the field. Shame, that Pim-pim Johannson ist still injured, i think. Later on, Ancic could be a factor, going by his RG form, where he gave Fed a good fight before dizzing out. Maybe Blake, but not against Fed, against whom he has a mental block.

Rabbit
06-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Anything can happen, especially on grass. There could be a new star that we haven't seen who'll make his debut at Wimbledon this year.

Tchocky
06-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Ask yourself this question? Is there anybody that can take 3 sets off Roger on grass?

Saito
06-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Ask yourself this question? Is there anybody that can take 3 sets off Roger on grass?

This is exactly why I say not anytime soon. I just don't see 3 sets taken from him at Wimby until his later years.

alienhamster
06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't know why so many of you are all, "Federer lose at Wimbledon? What an absurd notion!!!" (Insert powdered wigs on your heads and quizzical looks on your faces.)

On current form, Fed hasn't looked as invincible as usual, and that goes for all surfaces this year.

Does he have the technique to play unbeatably at Wimbly? An absolute yes.

Does he have the mental strength to do it again this year, after getting owned by Nadal numerous times and barely scraping through a ton of important matches (including on grass)? This one is by no means a definite YES.

I still think he's the favorite to win, but if I had to bet against Federer, this would be the year to do it.

milo
06-16-2006, 10:19 AM
on grass i would pick roddick as his nemesis not nadal.

Arafel
06-16-2006, 10:31 AM
on grass i would pick roddick as his nemesis not nadal.

Everything for Roddick changed with the rain delay in 2004. Until that delay, he was playing really well and looked like he might take Fed. The rain delay allowed Fed to regroup and win a tight match. Fed pretty much clobbered Andy last year though, and I think that really shook Andy's confidence, which has carried over the last 10 months.

On the plus side, Andy looks like he is playing well at Queens Club right now. Fed looks vulnerable. This could be Andy's year, if he can play with the confidence he had in 2004.

As for Fed, even the great Sampras was upset by Krajicek (sp?) once. Fed looks tired and he is really being pushed this week at Halle. Two ways of looking at that: a) he is getting his match legs and these close matches will make him nigh invincible during the fortnight. b) After losing 4 to Nadal and really getting shown up in Paris, his confidence is shaky and other players see their chance and somebody comes up big and takes a tired and scared Fed in the early rounds.

Moose Malloy
06-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Lets see, right now Fed is -200 to win Wimbledon(you bet 200 to win 100)
the 2nd favorite is Roddick at 1200(you bet 100 you win 1200)
that should tell you the liklihood that Fed doesn't win Wimbledon. I'm not sure there's ever been a bigger favorite, even on the womens side.

but, these players will be unseeded:
Rusedski, Murray, Mirnyi, Lopez, Gasquet, Karlovic, Dent, Henman, Safin

Ivanišević
06-16-2006, 12:01 PM
i can't see which player would upset fed at wimbledon.. but again, anything is possible

Warriorroger
06-16-2006, 12:03 PM
He will be upset if he loses. I miss the spark in his game.

dh003i
06-16-2006, 02:53 PM
alienhamster,

Ok, let me get this straight: as even Mats Wilander said in criticizing Federer's ball-less play at the French Open Finals, Federer has clearly gotten much better on clay this year. He's won the Australlian Open. He improved on clay, getting to his first FO finals.

How the hell is that somehow worse than his performance last year up to this point? If anything, he has done better relative to last year.

So, tell me, how the hell is it that he shows weakness by improving his game on clay?

Sure, it doesn't do much for his grass-court game. But it certainly shows no weakness.

Federer's high backhand has always been difficult for him. However, reality is, no-one other than Nadal can consistently get to that weakness. For the vast majority of players -- and that includes the top 10 -- it might as well not even exist. There's really nowhere to go with him.

tonysk83
06-16-2006, 03:05 PM
It would be cool to see Henman win right before he retires, don't think it will happen though.