PDA

View Full Version : Should Venus receive at Special Seeding at Wimbledon!?

Andy Zarzuela
06-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Since she is the defending champion and overall 3 time winner (and two finals), do you think she should be seeded higher than her current ranking? I know the Lawn Tennis Association do this for the men. They seeded Andy Roddick no.2 last year since he made the final the previous year. That is lousy compared to Venus' accomplishments on the lawns of Wimbledon!

Eviscerator
06-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Since she is the defending champion and overall 3 time winner (and two finals), do you think she should be seeded higher than her current ranking?

YES

Bones08
06-15-2006, 08:40 PM
YES

Huge Yes, She's done more at Wimbeldon than Almost the whole 127 other players put together! If not they will lose seeds early, cause Venus will be knockin dem out!

hoosierbr
06-15-2006, 08:51 PM
My guess is they will.

ACE of Hearts
06-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Yes but not top 3 seed.

LowProfile
06-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Perhaps bump her up two or three seeds at most due to her superior grass court performances in the past and the fact that she is defending champ. But she's not going to leap from like 10 to 2.

OrangeOne
06-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Perhaps bump her up two or three seeds at most due to her superior grass court performances in the past and the fact that she is defending champ. But she's not going to leap from like 10 to 2.

I'd support that. There's those that have said they have a formula they apply to the men's side that incorporates last year's grass results, be good if they did that I guess.

*That said*, laziness should not be rewarded too much. Playing the number of tournaments the williams' girls do is entirely up to them I guess, but they certainly shouldn't expect special treatment because of it.

sandiegotennisboy
06-15-2006, 09:42 PM
i say yessirree. she plays great on grass minus the whole spremcount event.

superman1
06-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Venus had relatively good results at the French on her worst surface, and she wasn't even playing that great. She's going to be taking out a lot of top seeds if they don't seed her higher.

Bones08
06-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Venus had relatively good results at the French on her worst surface, and she wasn't even playing that great. She's going to be taking out a lot of top seeds if they don't seed her higher.

I agree!

Othello
06-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Venus doesn't need to be seeded specially.
Last year she beat in a row, Daniela Hantuchova, Mary Pierce, Maria Sharapova, and then Davenport.
When she's on she's on.

That being said, I don't think she'll be on this year. At most She'll make the semis.

Moose Malloy
06-16-2006, 08:56 AM
They've never tampered with the women's seeds at Wimbledon before, so I don't think they'll start now.

Warriorroger
06-16-2006, 10:44 AM
She should receive special seed so that she and her sister would leave.

Rhino
06-16-2006, 11:21 AM
No she should get no special treatment. If she's hot she'll play her way through the draw. If not then tough luck.

Captain America
06-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I totally agree that she shouldn't receive special consideration. However, there shouldn't be any difference in how these situations are handled for the men and women, should there?

JayxTheKoolest
06-16-2006, 08:06 PM

agreed

Bones08
06-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Well, it's kind of crazy to say she shouldn't recieve it when we all know she should. If they go on what they say they do, which is previous grass results, she will get bumped up very high. She won't get as high as she deserves, but she wil latleast soar from 11th to at the least 8th!

HollerOne5
06-16-2006, 10:28 PM
I think its obvious that she will be bumped into the top 8. In fact, I'd have to say Venus is one of the 2 or 3 favorites to win for sure. Can't stand her, but she owns Wimbledon compared to the field.

J-man
06-17-2006, 05:23 AM
Why wouldn't they give the defending champ a seed?? The only question is what seed

Eviscerator
06-17-2006, 07:51 AM
I totally agree that she shouldn't receive special consideration. However, there shouldn't be any difference in how these situations are handled for the men and women, should there?

I am of the opinion that you address issues like this based on reason rather than emotion. On the one hand I do not believe women should get the same prize money as men unless they generate equal revenue for the tourney. So I support W's decision in that regard. On the other hand, W has made a rational decision in special seeding on the men's side for grass court rankings, yet they apparently do not do the same for the women. As a result I do not support their decision, and believe that women who's games are best suited for grass should get a higher seed than those who may have a high overall ranking, but play poorly on grass. I am no fan of Venus personally, but respect her abilities as a grass court player. Therefore I believe she should get a higher seeding provided the formula for determining grass court play would put her above others who would otherwise reveive a higher seed.

Captain America
06-17-2006, 08:44 AM
On the other hand, W has made a rational decision in special seeding on the men's side for grass court rankings, yet they apparently do not do the same for the women. As a result I do not support their decision, and believe that women who's games are best suited for grass should get a higher seed than those who may have a high overall ranking, but play poorly on grass.

Well put.

Kobble
06-17-2006, 10:23 AM
No. I hope not.

jackson vile
06-17-2006, 11:00 AM
No, she can play for a spot, but does not deserve seeding as she did not earn it.

If she is so good she can fight for it

DMich
06-17-2006, 11:25 AM
No, she can play for a spot, but does not deserve seeding as she did not earn it.

Do you not believe in special seeding at all at W or just in Venus' situation?

Bones08
06-17-2006, 12:58 PM

We're talking about past Wimby results, and grass court results for the seed. She deserves it more than anyone else in the entire womens field!

federerhoogenbandfan
06-17-2006, 01:03 PM
I sometimes think there should be an overall set of rankings, but rankings for each specific surface. On grass those rankings would go back for the last 3 years perhaps even, since there are so few grass court events. In that case Venus would probably be no worse then maybe 2nd seed behind Sharapova, even with her 3rd loss to Sprem in 2004, her showings in 2003 and 2005 would compensate enough to be up there very high.

brucie
06-17-2006, 01:14 PM
I suppose she should, be its like saying should Henman be seeded, yes!

diegaa
06-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Im convinced that the seed must be according to the ranking situation, IMO. I dont see why she should get special treatment. She isnt retired or anything.

jackson vile
06-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Do you not believe in special seeding at all at W or just in Venus' situation?

REally IMO the seed is a shame, it is a way to help hand pick draws, the better you get the esier it gets for you.

There should be no free invites what so ever, but especially for those that leave tennis ect and come back once in a while.

That is not moral, people are working their buts off, and people with big names think they should be able to just walk right in and get some special seeding on top of it.:rolleyes:

fantenam08
06-17-2006, 02:39 PM
If its done for men, then it should be done for women:

YES

newrevolution
06-17-2006, 04:59 PM
it stupid that its done at all. a few years ago you had a few s/v men left. now their are hardly any, especialy that have an impact on any surface thats not grass or fast indoor. the women are even more baseline bound. i believe thats why they dont do it on the womens side. i think that its kind of damned if you do, damned if you dont. if you play to a certain rank and seed shouldnt that be what you get? maybe the claycourters dont do well because thay get screwed in their seeding!! why be so concerned about slowing the game down for the average player (clay or slow/medium hard) yet favor the fast court players in the draw?? seems like they help everyone and screw everyone at the same time, very redundant! NO! only if injury protection, its part of the game to earn where you are. Could someone please tell when this special seeding started???

Othello
06-17-2006, 07:44 PM
There should be no free invites what so ever, but especially for those that leave tennis ect and come back once in a while.

That is not moral, people are working their buts off, and people with big names think they should be able to just walk right in and get some special seeding on top of it.:rolleyes:

What are you talking about dude? :confused:

Who is talking about a free invite??? Do you mean wild card? If so then you're off base as Venus will be seeded.

Also are you saying that Venus expects/wants Wimbledon to seed her higher? Because that's not true. She hasn't stated that anywhere. She is interested in getting her ranking higher and is playing to do so.

Besides, giving Venus a higher seeding is in the tournies interest and not Venus's. She'll be taking out some big names early if she's seeded lower.

Bones08
06-17-2006, 07:54 PM
What are you talking about dude? :confused:

Who is talking about a free invite??? Do you mean wild card? If so then you're off base as Venus will be seeded.

Also are you saying that Venus expects/wants Wimbledon to seed her higher? Because that's not true. She hasn't stated that anywhere. She is interested in getting her ranking higher and is playing to do so.

Besides, giving Venus a higher seeding is in the tournies interest and not Venus's. She'll be taking out some big names early if she's seeded lower.

I agree, people will complain, and then the ratings will go down when she takes out the higher seeds. Wimbeldon better d oit, for their sake and the other players. Davenport even talked about it last year, she even felt Venus should be seeded higher. Venus wasn't even playing that well last year, and Davenport said that.

tennisjunkiela
06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
If its done for men, then it should be done for women:

YES

Absolutely!
otherwise, don't do special seeding for the men nor the women and as a result, Mauresmo would be the #1 women's seed?
and nadal would be the #2 men's seed?

Bones08
06-21-2006, 05:05 AM
She got seeded #7!