PDA

View Full Version : Another Nadal trick?

sureshs
06-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Remember how he "lost" to Moya in Miami and ran off to prepare for clay? Is this another trick to remain fresh for Wimby and let Federer tire himself out in Halle?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AqNC5tbgqf.8VWDCdvLlvZQ4v7YF?slug=ap-london&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dan007
06-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Well he has played a lot of tennis the last couple months, I don't blame him. If he hurt his shoulder the smart thing to do is retire and rest instead of keep playing the match and making the injury worse. He should rest till his shoulder gets better and start fresh at wimbledon.

fastdunn
06-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Remember how he "lost" to Moya in Miami and ran off to prepare for clay? Is this another trick to remain fresh for Wimby and let Federer tire himself out in Halle?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AqNC5tbgqf.8VWDCdvLlvZQ4v7YF?slug=ap-london&prov=ap&type=lgns

Well, he is smart not to hurt his shoulder too much.
But Nadal needs as much grass expereince as possible.
So he would not retire, if he wasn't hurt or tired.

Federer always make great efforts in any tournament, slam or not.
I think it's going to take its toll in one way or another later in his
career. But I think he wants Wimbledon badly this year..

J-man
06-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey with a bumed shoulder he won't be able to get any practice on grass, It was a very wise decsion to retire in that match instead of toughing it out

Warriorroger
06-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Give the guy a break. Besides playing a lot of tennis, he is only 20 years old, they're pratically kids.

Rudy
06-16-2006, 11:08 AM
What if he had toughed it out, won, and then had to default a semi, with a very tired and sore shoulder. Who can blame the kid for being tired. He won a slam on Sunday, and had to start over on Monday, scheduling is crazy.
I think he showed class today.

156MPHserve
06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
I think he felt being able to take a set off Hewitt would secure him into the 2nd week of Wimbledon.

By being fresh, he would get many more matches under his belt. Tiring himself out to win a title worth nothing and jeopardizing his Wimbledon chances would not be something Tony would let him do.

sureshs
06-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Besides, he himself said after the match that he had great practise here. He has achieved what he wanted in terms of testing his grass skills. When he won the first set against Hewitt he lingered on. When he saw it was going to 3 and he would most probably lose, he pulled a Justine and quit.

Rataplan
06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Is this another trick to remain fresh for Wimby and let Federer tire himself out in Halle?
1. how on earth could this retirement have any influence over Federer's decision to play in Halle?
Rafael Nadal made a wise decision to rest his shoulder now.
Roger Federer is making his own decisions to play or not to play.
2. if you've listened to the physio giving Nadal the shoulder massage, you could hear him advice Nadal to retire or risk making it worse.

dh003i
06-16-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't think it's a trick...

I think Nadal is just prone to injury, due to his improper techniques, and very gruelling style of play.

Face it: the guy is just injury prone. He's only 20, and he's had his share of injuries.

inyourface
06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I think that he is out of Wimbly,
1.he retires but he wont to play a lot of matches..
2.He have exibition matches...to prepare Wimbly..he is not going to play this matches...bad sign
3.He have a rent house in London..but he is going to return to Spain..bad sign.
4.If he have a little pain in the last week prior to Wimbly..with the shoulder he SERVES then he pull out of Wimbly

JayxTheKoolest
06-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Given Nadal's personality (from what I've seen) I strongly doubt he's playing a trick.

tennisfreak412
06-16-2006, 04:00 PM
I took a look at the stats for the match, and Nadal's first serve percentage dropped from 70% to 55%. That's a serious slip, and so we have to believe that it is because his shoulder. More than anything, Nadal wants to win every match, so after his extremely well played first set, he would have seen that he could win the match, and so he would not have retired unless he really had to.

127mph
06-16-2006, 04:33 PM
its not like he is gonna challange federer at wimbledon anyways.

Captain America
06-16-2006, 06:36 PM
I was surprised at how well he played against Hewitt today. He'll be a threat in any match he plays at W (if he plays) imo....

HollerOne5
06-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I was surprised at how well he played against Hewitt today. He'll be a threat in any match he plays at W (if he plays) imo....

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have just started another thread on this, but he played much differently today. Came to the net, and flattened out his shots. He had Hewitt on the run more so than the other way around. Even Hewitt remarked how hard Nadal was hitting.

dmastous
06-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm not surprised to see this subject matter come up.
People want to say there's no Federer/Nadal rivalry until Federer wins one, and I agree with that concept. But you'd think there was a huge rivalry concidering the animosity between the pro Federer an pro Nadal camps.
Nadal pulls out of Queens to keep fresh for Wimbledon;
Nadal fakes injury so he doesn't have to face Federer on his best surface;
Nadal fakes injury to make Federer think he can walk in a cream him.
How about he felt a twinge in his shoulder and he didn't want to risk doing further damage and loosing his opportunity to compete in a Grand Slam event. That's my interpretation.

janipyt05
06-17-2006, 03:05 AM
omg how sad that y'all think the way you do, he was so looking forward to playing on grass its mostly what he talks about, he wants to learn and suddenly because he clealy couldn't serve well. Everyone was downing rafa that he wouldn't play well on grass but y'all have to give i up to him that he did well and imo he would have beaten hewitt had he been able to play well. If you watch the match he couldn't buy a first serve. When he recieved his time out you could see it was hurting him, since when have we known rafa to quit a match, how many times has he done soin the pat year twice on my count in cini just after he won in montreal and at queens. Any chance to be nasty about Nadal you talk tennis ppl take it and run with it. shame on you. I applaud rafa for surpassing almost everyones expectations of what he can do on grass. considering he lost in the first round of halle and second round of wimbledon last year, there was not much practise on grass but up he walks this week into the quarters. shame you can't see the effort he has put in.

janipyt05
06-17-2006, 03:06 AM
omg how sad that y'all think the way you do, he was so looking forward to playing on grass its mostly what he talks about, he wants to learn and suddenly because he clealy couldn't serve well. Everyone was downing rafa that he wouldn't play well on grass but y'all have to give i up to him that he did well and imo he would have beaten hewitt had he been able to play well. If you watch the match he couldn't buy a first serve. When he recieved his time out you could see it was hurting him, since when have we known rafa to quit a match, how many times has he done soin the pat year twice on my count in cini just after he won in montreal and at queens. Any chance to be nasty about Nadal you talk tennis ppl take it and run with it. shame on you. I applaud rafa for surpassing almost everyones expectations of what he can do on grass. considering he lost in the first round of halle and second round of wimbledon last year, there was not much practise on grass but up he walks this week into the quarters. shame you can't see the effort he has put in.

janipyt05
06-17-2006, 03:11 AM
OMG how sad that y'all think the way you do, he was so looking forward to playing on grass its mostly what he talks about, he wants to learn and suddenly because he clearly couldn't serve well. Everyone was downing rafa that he wouldn't play well on grass but y'all have to give i up to him that he did well and imo he would have beaten Hewitt had he been able to play well. If you watch the match he couldn't buy a first serve. When he received his time out you could see it was hurting him, since when have we known rafa to quit a match, how many times has he done so, in the past year twice on my count in Cincinnati just after he won in Montréal and at queens. Any chance to be nasty about Nadal you talk tennis ppl take it and run with it. Shame on you. I applaud rafa for surpassing almost everyone’s expectations of what he can do on grass. Considering he lost in the first round of Halle and second round of Wimbledon last year, there was not much practice on grass but up he walks this week into the quarters. Shame you can't see the effort he has put in.

janipyt05
06-17-2006, 03:26 AM
wow i out did myself with 3 of the same post pls excuse my mistake... thank you and sorry

Jet Rink
06-17-2006, 03:29 AM

Yes it is.

Dilettante
06-17-2006, 03:35 AM
I don't think it was a trick, for one reason: Nadal was playing at a good level, if he was healthy, he would tried to win the 3rd set in the same way he won the 1st (something that, being healthy, and although it sounds unbelievable, he was capable to do yesterday).

A victory (or even an adjusted loss) to Hewitt, it would have been a great psychological victory. He would demonstrated that his grass game has improved, and that's important, due to the influence of mental factor in pro tennis.

It would have been very stupid to pull out just to take a vacation, in a 1-1 match vs Hewitt on grass in which Nadal (accordin to the game showed) had his options to win.

Also, he was serving quite well on the 1st, taking a lot of easy points on his serve ("a lot" considering his usual game style), and he couldn't do the same on the 2nd: his serve dropped very, very much, and that is a sign of shoulder injury.

equinox
06-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Nadal should pull out of wimbledon and give his ailing body a well deserved rest.

He's already won the tournament that counts this year.