PDA

View Full Version : 2006: Year of the match retirement?

Ken B.
06-16-2006, 03:11 PM
I don't belive I have seen any other year that has had as many retirements from matches like I have this year. Monfils and Nadal in Queens just added to it. It's getting to the point now where it damages the credibility of those who have actual injuries and would need to retire, but wouldn't fo fear of being branded "another quitter"

Is there any official record of how many player retirements there have been in previous years?

exruda
06-16-2006, 03:17 PM
The tour is perhaps too physical, and everyone tries to hit as hard as they can from the baseline; the same thing made Hingis retire couple years back on the women's tour (I know you're talking about injuries), but now she's back and with some success, so I'm optimistic. Technical tennis has to win, I foresee a resurgence of S&V as a consequence, so that we can call 2007: the return of technique :)

Craig Sheppard
06-16-2006, 03:57 PM
So does anyone think if the fans grumble enough to the tours and tournaments about being cheated out of seeing matches due to retirements the officials will finally recognize the seriousness in scheduling conflicts and the needlessly long schedule?

HollerOne5
06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
At least Nadal was even in his match when he retired, and had a legitimate excuse, and the fact he just got done playing a ton of matches on clay. When you have players like Djokovic down 2 sets, then retire, then say they were controlling the match, that is something different.