PDA

View Full Version : Fed v Nadal: Dismal TV Ratings

menelaos
06-16-2006, 06:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french06/news/story?id=2481444

This pretty much summarizes the popularity of tennis in the US. Only 2.1 rating for the most anticipated match of the year. Not a very sign for the future. Looks like the only player widely recognized in the US is Agassi and he has not been a factor in almost 9 months!

darknight08
06-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks to the Fifa World Cup and other important sporting events..

Ken B.
06-16-2006, 06:17 PM
it was also on early in the morning.

Besides, the general rule of the American casual sportsfan is this: if there are no Americans in the final, they don't care.

I could wager the World Cup ratings are equally bad. Especially after the USA lost and will potentially lose in the first round.

J-man
06-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Well it's obvious the rating were higher because it was the most hyped up match during the whole tournment.

But the ratings weren't good in general becasue well, it's America

chess9
06-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Neither tennis or football (soccer) are popular in the U.S. Is tennis on the wane in the U.S.? I would submit that ALL sports must be on the wane in terms of participation given the epidemic of obesity in the country. If Al Quaida invaded this country and there were enough of them we'd be overrun in a few weeks. These fat American men couldn't do a da** thing to stop them. Pitiful....But for our technology (and because of it) we would be dead meat.

I'm visiting in England and the football fever here is crazy. Half the cars must have flags on them and England is not even one of the favorites! (They did look better in Thursday's match though.) Football here makes the Super Bowl look like a weekend mixed doubles match.

-Robert

ontherise17
06-16-2006, 10:11 PM
some tennis writer said that fed-nadal is the european sampras-agassi.

i wonder what the ratings were in europe.

nn
06-16-2006, 11:06 PM
yeah here in USA it is football and basketball world series where you won't find many countries coming to play (ONLY USA)

Woodstock_Tennis
06-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Not going to get very good ratings at 6 am.

J-man
06-17-2006, 05:19 AM
Neither tennis or football (soccer) are popular in the U.S. Is tennis on the wane in the U.S.? I would submit that ALL sports must be on the wane in terms of participation given the epidemic of obesity in the country. If Al Quaida invaded this country and there were enough of them we'd be overrun in a few weeks. These fat American men couldn't do a da** thing to stop them. Pitiful....But for our technology (and because of it) we would be meat.

I'm visiting in England and the football fever here is crazy. Half the cars must have flags on them and England is not even one of the favorites! (They did look better in Thursday's match though.) Football here makes the Super Bowl look like a weekend mixed doubles match.

-RobertOH yeah because our Army sucks

emcee
06-17-2006, 06:27 AM
It doesn't take too much muscle to hold a gun and shoot people with it.

I don't get why people talk about obesity so much. Sure we have lots of people but sheesh! We have like 150 million people that aren't fat! There has to be another reason why Americans aren't tuning in...namely that Roddick and Agassi weren't playing, Federer has no charisma, and Nadal wears capris. And it was at 6 AM on the West Coast.

For tennis fans though, it was the most hotly anticipated matches in a LONG time...such a disappointment.

Amone
06-17-2006, 06:33 AM
Did you notice, though, that the ratings were higher than last year?? Sure, 1.6 million, not many. But at the same time, 2.1 > 2.0, I hate to tell you.

Breaker
06-17-2006, 06:37 AM
So the difference of Mariano Puerta from Roger Federer to the casual fan is .1, that says alot about our sport.

chess9
06-17-2006, 06:40 AM
OH yeah because our Army sucks

Yeah, the Army does suck. It's the Marines that will save your a**. :)

Robert, USMC, retired.

JayxTheKoolest
06-17-2006, 07:45 AM
A lot of people probably turned it off after watching it for five minutes. It wasn't a good match.

Roger is Boring
06-17-2006, 07:49 AM
not surprising.ratings for federer matches are always low. nobody caresa bout him.

Tommy's Girl
06-17-2006, 07:52 AM
-Last year's final was shown tape delayed at about 3 p.m. local time. I had to drag myself out of bed early to see this years.
-Sunday morning is generally considered family time in the US. Big breakfast...go to church..visit the farmer's market....go visit grandma etc.
-Americans don't tend to participate in sports...Americans watch sports. Americans want to see the player bull s....ing with the commentators...laughing and cracking jokes....Like James Blake did on ESPN.
-Sports to Americans are like soaps operas. We want to know who hates who, who yelled at who in the locker room. Who stole who's new sneakers...spray painted them pink and hung them from the telephone line. There has to be a story...and Americans follow the story ALONG SIDE the game. Americans have to identify with the character and then get behind them...That's why Americans tend to cheer for the underdog at the U.S. Open, even when the underdog is playing an American.
Europeans are at a distinct disadvantage here because the culture is different....almost like....a different country.

Count Grishnackh
06-17-2006, 08:30 AM
I'd rather that the tennis die-hards watch the event than the fairweather fans. I personally don't care if 100 milion people watch or just 2-3 million. Sampras had no charisma and Agassi walked like a duck, that didn't stop people from watching them. Then again, they never played each other in a French final. Mostly at the US or Wimby and the time of those matches were much more friendly than 9am on Sunday.

dubsplayer
06-17-2006, 09:06 AM
-Last year's final was shown tape delayed at about 3 p.m. local time. I had to drag myself out of bed early to see this years.

Interesting as the men's final has been shown live at 9am for years now. Even the ladies has been shown live the last few years. Perhaps only on your local NBC station was it taped delayed.

Tennis on TV just isn't that popular in the States. I play regularily with about 20 people and even though they are serious tennis players, in USTA leagues, WTT leagues, have kids who play on the high school teams, Empire State teams, etc., none of them except me watch tennis on TV or go to tourneys. And beyond Roger, Rafa, Andy Andre and The William sisters they know none of the players.

simi
06-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Yeah, the Army does suck. It's the Marines that will save your a**. :)

Robert, USMC, retired.

And it takes the Navy to transport the Marines to wherever they need to go.

Steven, ex-USN

EclipseRydr97
06-17-2006, 09:28 AM
What's it mean by 2.1 rating? Is that 2.1 million people watched? If not, what's a good rating then?

jackson vile
06-17-2006, 11:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french06/news/story?id=2481444

This pretty much summarizes the popularity of tennis in the US. Only 2.1 rating for the most anticipated match of the year. Not a very sign for the future. Looks like the only player widely recognized in the US is Agassi and he has not been a factor in almost 9 months!

I hate how it came on at 7:00am where mountain time so it was 6:00am pacific time.

Further more that day they were having the Arena Bowl, and the Soccer stuff.

So this was the worst possbile time to show a match like that, if they would have waited a day or if it had been a day earlier like I thought it was going to be it would have had far better results.

arnz
06-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't really understand why its important to people how popular tennis is. Does it make you worry that some people dont like your sport? I truly couldnt care less about hockey or soccer, for example, but it doesnt seem to stop the people who do like them from watching or playing hockey and soccer.

I wouldnt let other people's opinions of my favorite sports stop me from enjoying them

jackson vile
06-17-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't really understand why its important to people how popular tennis is. Does it make you worry that some people dont like your sport? I truly couldnt care less about hockey or soccer, for example, but it doesnt seem to stop the people who do like them from watching or playing hockey and soccer.

I wouldnt let other people's opinions of my favorite sports stop me from enjoying them

Well then you are completely oblivious to the consequences. To start with how about worse air times, how about less coverage, how about no air time what so ever, how about not as many sponorships, how about gifted athletes choosing other sports due to finacial resons ect ect ect

FEDEXP
06-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Shown 6am West Coast time and ESPN not only doesn't promote the sport but if you watch the wrap ups on ESPN they don't even tell you when the Final is on. You really can't blame the players for the viewership.

chess9
06-18-2006, 08:47 AM
And it takes the Navy to transport the Marines to wherever they need to go.

Steven, ex-USN

He, he. Touche'
:)
-Robert

Simon Cowell
06-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Neither tennis or football (soccer) are popular in the U.S. Is tennis on the wane in the U.S.? I would submit that ALL sports must be on the wane in terms of participation given the epidemic of obesity in the country. If Al Quaida invaded this country and there were enough of them we'd be overrun in a few weeks. These fat American men couldn't do a da** thing to stop them. Pitiful....But for our technology (and because of it) we would be dead meat.

-Robert

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing ever posted on this forum. I feel much dumber now for having read that. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

sureshs
06-19-2006, 07:51 AM

-Robert

I live in a complex close to a base and lots of Marines live here and let me tell you, they are VERY VERY fit.

I wouldn't draw conclusions from soccer or cricket or Davis Cup matches. True that US fans don't get all fired up for international sports and even the Olympics, but it doesn't mean the screaming and flag-waving crowds elsewhere are doing that out of patriotism. In fact, it is a good excuse for hooliganism. It does not translate into brave patriotic acts.

Duzza
06-19-2006, 07:53 AM
some tennis writer said that fed-nadal is the european sampras-agassi.

i wonder what the ratings were in europe.
Good point.

armand
06-19-2006, 08:57 AM

-Robert This is quite possibly the dumbest thing ever posted on this forum. I feel much dumber now for having read that. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.LOL I was just about to say the exact opposite!

chess9
06-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, like the style or presentation, or not, the simple fact is that Americans are very fat. See, for instance, this article from our government:

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/

In addition, it is well-known that participation rates are down for almost all sports. On a population adjusted basis this is true almost across the board. Women's sports participation has been declining for about 10 years or so.

If you aren't fit, how will you have ANY chance of protecting yourself or your loved ones? You think you will always have time to unlock the gun cabinet? I know all of you don't have carry permits, so how would you address a serious physical attack?

And, who's going to pay for your health care when you drop out of the work force on full disability at age 40 or 50? YOUR KIDS, assuming you are able to produce any, or MY KIDS.

Cowell, if you have an argument to make, don't let me stop you from actually saying something compelling.

-Robert

sureshs
06-19-2006, 09:30 AM
If you aren't fit, how will you have ANY chance of protecting yourself or your loved ones? You think you will always have time to unlock the gun cabinet? I know all of you don't have carry permits, so how would you address a serious physical attack?

Get your point about obesity (and actually I think a saw a recent article that childhood obesity is actually getting better). But how will a fit unarmed guy, even Nadal, stand against an attacker with a gun? And how about the police, FBI, military, reserves, etc etc? You present a doomsday scenario. Life expectancy is getting higher, not lower. The number of people hitting the gym is increasing (I am going by the number of gyms, yoga places etc that are mushrooming all over). Maybe people are doing something else rather than tennis?

chess9
06-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Get your point about obesity (and actually I think a saw a recent article that childhood obesity is actually getting better). But how will a fit unarmed guy, even Nadal, stand against an attacker with a gun? And how about the police, FBI, military, reserves, etc etc? You present a doomsday scenario. Life expectancy is getting higher, not lower. The number of people hitting the gym is increasing (I am going by the number of gyms, yoga places etc that are mushrooming all over). Maybe people are doing something else rather than tennis?

Life expectancy is still increasing and will continue to increase for quite a while. The largest impact of obesity on life expectancy will be felt in 30-40 years. But, even now we have kids developing Type II diabetes, which is primarily an mature adult disease. Look at this article from last year:

http://www.mercola.com/2005/apr/2/obesity_rates.htm

(you must enter your email addy to get it)

If you have an article link saying that obesity is on the decline, I'd love to see it. That would be very good news, if true.

If you are referring to an article in Scientific American about the supposedly overblown obesity epidemic, those complaints are by, principally, a professor of LAW, and a professor of POLITICAL SCIENCE. These are the same sort of people who poo-poo evolution without understanding the science. These are not scientists. Here's a link to that article:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=000E5065-2345-128A-9E1583414B7F0000

I agree that obesity has a genetic component, but so what? If you have a gene predisposing you to heart disease do you avoid exercise, eat plenty of saturated fats, and smoke two packs of cigarettes per day?

Regarding attacks, many are not stoppable, but some are. You can save yourself with the right skills and strength and maybe your kid. But, there are enough good health reasons for staying fit, so feel free to ignore this one if you think that is prudent.

Yes, tennis is slowly declining in popularity (vs population growth) and so are other sports. Swimming, wrestling, even baseball have the same problems. Kids are playing video games and munching on Cheetos, rather than getting outside for some exercise.

If you think this is a doomsday scenario, then so be it. I think it's sane to want my country to stay strong and fit.

-Robert

TXKiteboarder
06-19-2006, 10:33 AM
it has alot to do with the ESPN coverage....

here is why rating werent that good:

1. the match in US TV was at 8am on Sunday. Unless you are a tennis enthusiast, you are not gonna wakeup that early to watch a game.

2. ESPN does a terrible job at hyping tennis games. They shoulding be showing commercials for the match throughout the on both channels. I have never seen them do this.

3. Give a better sportscenter coverage to the game. Have a reporter or two reporting not only on the game but hype in the city when grand slam takes place in their city.

4. Where is Nike? they have their two superstars playing in a major, but dont have a single commercial. They could really hype the two players with aowsome advertising campaign. Soon everyone would be wearing those Nike bandanas on the streets :)

dont blame people, blame the media network of ESPN coglomerate who needs someone who understands marketing and bringing viewership.

Hell, do you guys/girls remember the commercial Nike made about Sampras/Agassi about them playing continously as the court conditons erodes over time.

p.s.

sureshs
06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Kids are playing video games

That actually bothers me a lot. But I have seen more than one article now claiming that the skills acquired from these games will be *required* in the job market when these kids are ready. The old days of reading books and writing paper exams will be gone. Everything will be tested thru simulation of real-life environments. The ability to play interactive games and train thru them will be as much a reality as the conventional interview process of today. The aloof loner who reads books and works quietly with the knowledge gained from them will become obsolete and be replaced by a highly-interactive multitasking person who is more of an information-integration type rather than an analytical type.

malakas
06-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Life expectancy is still increasing and will continue to increase for quite a while. The largest impact of obesity on life expectancy will be felt in 30-40 years. But, even now we have kids developing Type II diabetes, which is primarily an mature adult disease.
-Robert

I completely agree with you.I can't really provide a link,but I have seen many documentaries and scientists saying,that parents will soon outlive their children.People of my parents generation,at least in my country,grew up mostly in rural areas,so they ate healthy foods,they were exersicing and playing sports.They breathed fresh air,swimmed in clean sea,had much less stress..But the blame is not only on my generation,don't you think?;) Afterall we were born in this world,to learn 3 foreign languages,be able to calculate logarithms,integral calculus,nuclear reactions alfa,beta,gamma rays, learning every single detail about mitosis,miosis,Kreb cycle,chemical reactions and the list goes on and on...All these my parents didn't know but much later in their live ,if ever..

In my country the educational antagonism is so great ,that kids can't keep doing sports after the age of 15 regularly..:(

Of course it's also kids to blame for this,but I believe that grown-ups and parents are more guilty..Don't you think?;)

Feņa14
06-19-2006, 03:27 PM

England were 2nd favourites behind Brazil before the World Cup started :)

malakas
06-19-2006, 03:31 PM
England were 2nd favourites behind Brazil before the World Cup started :)

But now they know better!!:mrgreen: j/k

sureshs
06-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Nobody is mentioning the marketing of sodas and fast foods to children. At least now soda machines are being taken out of schools. My son has come home a couple of times with an academic reward which was a coupon for a fast food chain and sponsored by them. Marketing this kind of stuff heavily and then claiming people should have personal responsibility (but corporations need not have any corporate responsibility) is just hypocritical.

chess9
06-19-2006, 10:18 PM
I completely agree with you.I can't really provide a link,but I have seen many documentaries and scientists saying,that parents will soon outlive their children.People of my parents generation,at least in my country,grew up mostly in rural areas,so they ate healthy foods,they were exersicing and playing sports.They breathed fresh air,swimmed in clean sea,had much less stress..But the blame is not only on my generation,don't you think?;) Afterall we were born in this world,to learn 3 foreign languages,be able to calculate logarithms,integral calculus,nuclear reactions alfa,beta,gamma rays, learning every single detail about mitosis,miosis,Kreb cycle,chemical reactions and the list goes on and on...All these my parents didn't know but much later in their live ,if ever..

In my country the educational antagonism is so great ,that kids can't keep doing sports after the age of 15 regularly..:(

Of course it's also kids to blame for this,but I believe that grown-ups and parents are more guilty..Don't you think?;)

Yes, the adults are to blame. The kids are the victims. No doubt in my mind.

I agree with the rest of your post as well.

-Robert

chess9
06-19-2006, 10:19 PM
But now they know better!!:mrgreen: j/k

Well, let's see how they do against Sweden tonight!!!

GO ENGLAND!!!

-Robert

chess9
06-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Nobody is mentioning the marketing of sodas and fast foods to children. At least now soda machines are being taken out of schools. My son has come home a couple of times with an academic reward which was a coupon for a fast food chain and sponsored by them. Marketing this kind of stuff heavily and then claiming people should have personal responsibility (but corporations need not have any corporate responsibility) is just hypocritical.

The removal of soft drink machines from schools is one of the better developments in this area. The manufacturers have shown some good sense and now it is up the parents and kids to ween themselves off the sugary drinks.

-Robert

Rataplan
06-20-2006, 01:04 AM
The TV ratings in Europe (Eurosport) were good:

44 million tune in for French Open
Tuesday, June 20 2006, 02:40 BST
by Neil Wilkes

The World Cup may be dominating the airwaves right now, but 44 million Europeans still found time to tune in to the French Open, according to figures from Eurosport.

The figure - which represents the unique audience across the continent - for the annual tennis tournament is up from 42 million in 2005.

Coverage of the Open was particularly successful in the UK, where British Eurosport recorded a 37% rise in average ratings and achieved a reach of 3.7 million.

The final game, between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, gave the channel its second highest peak in the UK ever with 418,000 viewers
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds34243.html

Fedexeon
06-20-2006, 02:12 AM
Hahaha, at last we heard some news from Europeans.. Its not like US is the only important market.. Yes, it's really the biggest market for any sports, but Europe is very important as well.