PDA

View Full Version : Nadal On Grass

HollerOne5
06-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Ok, I'm sure this has already been posted, but I just got done watching the match between him and Hewitt at Queen's club before Rafael had to retire due to injury. I must say he definitely is not playing clay court tennis on grass. Even Hewitt remarked afterwards how hard and flat Nadal was hitting the ball. He stood closer on the baseline, served and volleyed numerous times, flattened out his shots, and was hitting harder servers in the first set.

I wonder if his shoulder started to hurt because he was going for so much more on his first serve and wasn't used to it, because during the second set he was just putting the serves in and it didn't work out so well.

If he can keep up the adjustment, things are looking good for Wimbledon, at least much better than last year's 2nd round appearance.

alienhamster
06-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I saw Nadal live at the Queen's Club yesterday, and I was SO impressed with his play overall. I wouldn't say he's hitting "flat" like most traditionally good grasscourters can, but it was much closer to the sort of successful flat shots you see from the two best grass players out there nowadays, Federer and Roddick. (In other words, nobody seems to hit totally flat anymore since the contemporary grasscourts take some spin well.)

Nadal can still get a little overwhelmed by points that end VERY quickly--i.e., within the first three shots. But he was playing SO much better than Hewitt before the shoulder pain really kicked in. (BTW, I really think this was more of a function of his playing so many long clay court matches in a row with all that topspin and with very little rest.)

I think Nadal will make it to week two for sure, unless he hits a monster server early.

LowProfile
06-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I think Nadal will make it to week two for sure, unless he hits a monster server early.

Another chance for Dr. Ivo to strike again?

slice bh compliment
06-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Nadal on grass? Hmmm. Good question.
I think his reflexes would not be as good, but he would play really calm, laugh a lot and get the munchies late in the match. Maybe bring some peanut butter to go with the bananas...probably something crunchy, too, like some almonds or maybe a can of Pringles. Bet he would still arrange those water bottles just the same.

alienhamster
06-16-2006, 09:03 PM
As long as we're punning along this path, to take a more serious-ish turn . . .

Is grass considered a banned substance by the ATP? I mean, let's say you're in the Netherlands next week and smoke up before yor match to relax. Is that against the rules?

ragnaROK
06-16-2006, 09:39 PM
nadal and grass? like oil and water.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-17-2006, 11:19 AM
I doubt he will even play Wimbledon. If he was too injured to finish a match 10 days before Wimbledon starting, he will probably withdraw. Even if he does play, 4th round at best. Hewitt is not a top 10 player anymore, and still probably would have won the match in 3 sets if he continued.

HollerOne5
06-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I doubt he will even play Wimbledon. If he was too injured to finish a match 10 days before Wimbledon starting, he will probably withdraw. Even if he does play, 4th round at best. Hewitt is not a top 10 player anymore, and still probably would have won the match in 3 sets if he continued.

You can't predict the outcome of the match, but if Nadal's shoulder had not been hurting, like he said it wasn't during the 1st set, he was really taking it to Hewitt.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-17-2006, 11:39 AM
It just shows how much Hewitt has declined that he was having trouble with Nadal on grass anyway. I doubt Hewitt will make it past the 4th round of any slam himself anytime soon.

HollerOne5
06-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Well he is in the finals this week isn't he?

ACE of Hearts
06-17-2006, 11:47 AM
I thought Nadal didnt look all that great.By the way, Hewitt was 2 out of 14 on break chances, so he had his chances.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Hewitt was lucky to play an injured Nadal in the quarters, and Henman who has a huge mental block vs him always in the semis. Blake will power him a$s off the court in the finals probably.

slice bh compliment
06-17-2006, 12:00 PM
...Blake will power him a$s off the court in the finals probably.

I hope so, but Hewitt and Blake have had some history. And Hewitt will definitely take some confidence into this match. I'm up for an animated final.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-17-2006, 12:02 PM
If Blake plays like he did vs Roddick it will be 6-3, 6-4 type win for Blake at closest. Blake used to have a mental block vs Roddick as well. Blake also played very good matches with Hewitt was #1, and over twice the player he is today, and Blake was ranked outside the top 30 and nowhere near the player he is today.

ACE of Hearts
06-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Hey Hoogen, i know that Hewitt isnt the same but did u forget that he won wimbledon?The guy knows how to play on grass.He gets pace on the surface.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey Hoogen, i know that Hewitt isnt the same but did u forget that he won wimbledon?The guy knows how to play on grass.He gets pace on the surface.

Yes 4 full years ago he won Wimbledon when the field was much weaker then it is now, and he was a much better player then he is now. I do remember. :p

ACE of Hearts
06-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I expect a 3 set match between Blake and Hewitt.

siber222000
06-17-2006, 01:27 PM
blake vs hewitt.. this is going to be a interesting match, since hewitt is leading 6 - 1, but blake defeated roddick for the first time in his last 7 meetings and hewitt lost to blake this year...