PDA

View Full Version : top spin forehand

SIMON PHOMMACHIT
03-03-2004, 05:15 PM
what part of the racket is the contact point when you hit top spin forehand? I always have a problem hitting long or to a net. Please help.

Stitch626
03-03-2004, 07:38 PM
You might not want to make contact using the racket.....but isntead the strings......preferably in the sweetspot too... ^_^

But seriously i think you need to make the question more clear.

Bungalo Bill
03-04-2004, 04:03 PM
You want to hit the ball in the middle of the strings. Keep your racquet perpendicular to the ground and the strings sqaure on the ball. A fixed wrist position greatly increases your chances for this.

If you are below the contact point using your legs and begin rising as you swing forward. You will naturally swing low to high to impart topspin. It will pretty much happen by itself if you follow these guidelines. Make sure you follow through.

vin
03-05-2004, 07:17 AM
Have you seen any of the Tom Avery Consistent Wins videos on the tennis channel? I'm not sure which video it is, but in one of them, I think he does a good job of explaining the semiwestern forehand. He shows how the racquet head starts low and closed as you begin pulling the butt of the racquet towards the ball from the bottom of your backswing. As you pull forward, the racquet face opens and rises and the length of the racquet is parallel to the ground at contact as Bill described. Bollettieri equates this motion to pulling a towel. It is because of this motion that the semiwestern grip is so natural for powerful topsin.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, your question was kind of vague.

Vin

Bungalo Bill
03-05-2004, 02:22 PM
The only thing I would suggest on the pulling the towel from Bollettieri' s video. His suggestion is excellent but after careful study of this and my experience is it is very difficult to control the ball unless you know how to execute this in a stroke.

The key area to developing a Roddick like forehand is to make sure your elbow is in front of your body BEFORE the rotation takes place. So if your using the pulling the towel analysis which corresponds to pointing the butt cap at the ball then pulling the butt cap, make sure your elbow is moving in front of the body before your shouldlers start rotation. This will greatly increase your racquet face control and your chances of hitting the ball dead center on the strings while being able to control the ball. If you need further information email me at usptapro@cox.net