PDA

View Full Version : How about a slam in Asia?

ZhuangCorp
06-17-2006, 12:07 PM
We have slams in 3 of the major global cities, New York, London, and Paris, but why not have one in Shanghai or Tokyo, which are also major global cities. I think this would make tennis are more interesting and more international sport, having a slam in each of the important financial and cultural cities of the world.

What do you guys think?

LowProfile
06-17-2006, 12:10 PM
The Australian Open has declared itself the Slam of the Asian/Pacific region. Pretty smart promoting on their part.

exruda
06-17-2006, 12:15 PM
The MC is in Shanghai, that's pretty important, too :)
Frankly, I do not think the schedule could stand another grand slam.

lacoster
06-17-2006, 12:24 PM
We have slams in 3 of the major global cities, New York, London, and Paris, but why not have one in Shanghai or Tokyo, which are also major global cities. I think this would make tennis are more interesting and more international sport, having a slam in each of the important financial and cultural cities of the world.

What do you guys think?

That's the exact reasoning behind putting the Masters Cup in Shanghai. Tokyo already hosts big tournaments in the WTA Tier I Pan Pacific Open and the combined ATP International Series Gold/WTA Tier III stop at the AIG Japan Open. All venues in metropolitan Tokyo and Shanghai are set indoors, and don't have enough space to accomodate 18+ indoor courts for Grand Slam play.
________
NORFOLK ASSEMBLY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Norfolk_Assembly)

highsierra
06-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Why are the ones in Tokyo and Shanghai in doors? Because they are played during the cold time of the year?

It would be extremely difficult to schedule another big event during the mild temperature time of the year. There're FO in May, Wimby in June/July, and USO in September. If it's not because Aussie's on the southern hemshpere, I doubt it could have become a GS.

I don't know if it could eventually happen or not. Pro sports folllow where the $ goes. Eventually maybe there'll be enough $ to sponsor a big event in southern China (e.g. HK) where temperature is pretty warm in Feb/March timeframe, and it could turn into a GS. Another prerequisite is of course tennis becomes a big sport in China and there is a significant representation by Chinese players in ATP/WTA.

croatian sensation
06-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Well if TMC isn't enough for you..what can I say?
4 Slams are more than enough in a season which has such a tight schedule that players are complaining about it more and more...who could add another one?
You can't move the Slams, if nothing else...they have tradition. So, putting the TMC in Asia was the best that could be done.
And I think it's pretty fair...considering the fact that tennis isn't as big in Asia.(I might be wrong..I'm judging by number of top 100 ATP/WTA players coming from China/Japan).

vive le beau jeu !
06-17-2006, 04:11 PM
indeed that's great to have the TMC in shanghaï :D
but for slams... no chance they move now... they are already part of history ! ;)

makes me think that roger already said he would like to see some ATP level tournament in (sub-saharan) africa... :)
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2168142

goober
06-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Season is already too long. Players are complaining that they want a shorter season. No way they are going to put another slam in place. I suppose they could move a Masters event, but they aren't going to add another one.

tennus
06-17-2006, 04:33 PM
The Australian Open has declared itself the Slam of the Asian/Pacific region. Pretty smart promoting on their part.
Yes, Australasian Slam ???? This term gets used for everything down here. I suppose the slams were dictated by those countries commonly playing intercountry tennis. That is when everyone was an amatuer. Given the global interest perhaps it's time for a change. Wasn't the Italian Open a grand slam tournament at one time ?:)

goober
06-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Yes, Australasian Slam ???? This term gets used for everything down here. I suppose the slams were dictated by those countries commonly playing intercountry tennis. That is when everyone was an amatuer. Given the global interest perhaps it's time for a change. Wasn't the Italian Open a grand slam tournament at one time ?:)

The Italian Open was never a slam. How can you have a grand slam with more than 4 events? The term Grand Slam was first used in 1933, by the American journalist John Kieran. In describing the attempt that year by Jack Crawford to win all four titles.

vive le beau jeu !
06-17-2006, 05:14 PM
The Italian Open was never a slam. How can you have a grand slam with more than 4 events? The term Grand Slam was first used in 1933, by the American journalist John Kieran. In describing the attempt that year by Jack Crawford to win all four titles.
and how were these 4 events "chosen" ?...

i mean... i know there are 4 grand slam tournament in tennis, but they could have chosen another number of events !
(etymologically, there's no link between the term slam and the number 4) ;)
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/165250.html
it comes from cards...

goober
06-17-2006, 09:38 PM
and how were these 4 events "chosen" ?...

i mean... i know there are 4 grand slam tournament in tennis, but they could have chosen another number of events !
(etymologically, there's no link between the term slam and the number 4) ;)
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/165250.html
it comes from cards...

Ah a British definition.

Well grand slam in American baseball is scoring 4 runs in one hit. Since it was American sports journalist who coined the phrase he probably was more attuned to American baseball (which was the most popular sport in the 1930s in the US) rather than bridge. But I will give you that I don't know that for sure. In any case those four were the biggest events in Tennis at the time. Nobody "picked" them to be the biggest. It just evolved that way. If tennis was huge in Asia at the time I am sure things would be different. If Asia gets a slam you argue why shouldn't South America or Africa?

tennus
06-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Ah a British definition.

Well grand slam in American baseball is scoring 4 runs in one hit. Since it was American sports journalist who coined the phrase he probably was more attuned to American baseball (which was the most popular sport in the 1930s in the US) rather than bridge. But I will give you that I don't know that for sure. In any case those four were the biggest events in Tennis at the time. Nobody "picked" them to be the biggest. It just evolved that way. If tennis was huge in Asia at the time I am sure things would be different. If Asia gets a slam you argue why shouldn't South America or Africa?

Well, perhaps South America may have a point:)

diegaa
06-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, perhaps South America may have a point:)

That would be fantastic, but very far from reality.
It would be also great (and more realistic) to have a master-series tourney there... Although tennis popularity has been on the rise, there´s simply not enough fans nor money to support it. :(
IF there were a TMS in SA my guess would be in Chile or Argentina... maybe Brazil.

diegaa
06-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Ah a British definition.

and r u positively sure that that baseball term didnt come out from the bridge term? ;)