PDA

View Full Version : James Blake ..what else can we say...

Grigollif1
06-17-2006, 08:53 PM
I think a lot of people are very surprised with him. He is now winning on surfaces that he never really did well before. In the clay season he had two good torunaments and only did not go further because he faced an Inspiring Ancic in Hamburg and a home crowd favored Gael Monfils in RG. He has now beaten Andy Roddick who many considered the second best player on grass. He is having all of these results before he get to the Summer U.S open hard court series where he can really shine and problably dominate.

I think James Blake is will be in the top 5 by the end of year and will make the MCin China. Which is really good for tennis because altough Nalbandian and Ljubicic have really nice games they are never a threat once they enter a tournament where Nadal and Federer are playing. Where Blake has shown to be a lot more then a threat to Nadal and I'm yet to see him face Federer in a fast hardcourt such as in the U.S open, where it can get very interesting.....So It would be really nice for Blake to get to number 3 in the rankings.

LowProfile
06-17-2006, 09:10 PM
He's ranked seven, so he'd qualify for the Masters Cup even if he didn't break into the top 5, which I definitely believe he will with a solid performance at Wimbledon and a great hard court season.

Actually Blake has faced Federer four times, all on hard courts, and one of them was at the US Open (granted this was three years ago and Blake was playing nearly as inspired tennis). Federer's game matches very well against Blake's, but Nadal will be very wary of facing him early on. Blake just blew Nadal off the court with his massive ground game at Indian Wells this year.

I'd love to see Blake reach number 3, but I'm not sure he can pass Nalbandian and Ljubicic who have games that are very suited for the upcoming grass, hard court, and indoor seasons.

Grigollif1
06-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Yes I agree With you LP.. I think James Blake is a much more dangerous third man then either Nalbandian or Ljubicic. I see some people sayibng that After Nadal and Federer, there are no other really strong man challenging but, there you have a really one in my opinion with Blake....

It will be very interesting to see him in action at the U.S Open. Last year he entered the tournament unseeded and got all the way to the quarters with a classic match with Andre Agassi. Imagine this year where his confidence seems higher and the U.S open courts looks to be absolutely a perfect match for his game style. In my view he can even challenge Federer in the American GS, will we see, things are going to get very interesting down there...

Othello
06-17-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm all about hit return of serve.
The dude's return of serve drives me bonkers!
He was returning Roddick's first serve's with interest as winners!! ON GRASS!!!
:shock:

KBalla08
06-17-2006, 09:25 PM
yes blake should be #3 in my book... ljubicic isnt good on grass at all, hes only won like 4 matches on it ever... now nalbandian is an all court player, he just doesnt have it to go all the way in grand slams... blake could turn out to be a multiple grand slam winner... i hope so hes awesome

Grigollif1
06-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah, his return of serve is just plain mean.. and I think his forehand is underrated believe it or not. I would say James Blake has the second best forehand in the game, maybe even tied with Federer. The thing is The swiss doesn't rely on his Forehand as much as blake does. Federer can use the agressive slice and the serve better. Where james Blake game is really molded around that Hugeeeee Forehand. I'm not saying that he doesn't have an all court game because, he can do anything on the court. Blake Comes to the Net, play some slice when he needs too and even serve and volley. So even tough his game is based on his great forehand, he is a very versitile tennis player...

Grigollif1
06-17-2006, 09:39 PM
yes blake should be #3 in my book... ljubicic isnt good on grass at all, hes only won like 4 matches on it ever... now nalbandian is an all court player, he just doesnt have it to go all the way in grand slams... blake could turn out to be a multiple grand slam winner... i hope so hes awesome

You know what gets me about Nalbandian... He can do everything well, but there is not one thing in my opinion that he can do exceptionally well. Even on his results. Notice that he is a semi final player.. always getting to there but never really closing the door. Same in my opinion with Ljubicic, always doing well but never outstanding.

Bogie
06-17-2006, 09:53 PM
So It would be really nice for Blake to get to number 3 in the rankings.

as much as i admire blake, thats just not gonna happen. period. nalbandian is soon gonna lock #3. he is just much too solid, his results are VERY consistent on ALL surfaces, much more so than blake, and he is just an all around more solid, tougher player. number 5, ok i can see that happening as he probably has already overtaken davydenko when the new rankings come out, and its not difficult for most top 15 players to overtake roddick as he is performing MUCH below par, but the race for #4 should be fun with ljubicic. theres no way that hes getting to #3 though, thats for sure. nalbandian's performances in almost all the tournies that he enters are just as predictable as nadal's and fed's. nalbandian is consistently in the semi's of pretty much every tourny that he enters. blake just can't catch up.

hoosierbr
06-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Blake has the edge on Nadal no question but he can never bring it against Roger. A couple of times this year he got off to a good start and then completely froze and collapsed.

Blake's best performance in a Slam is the QF at the USO last year. Nalbandian is much too solid and can still beat Federer on his day. Until Blake gets more consistent at the Slam level he'll probably stay where he is.

Of course Ljubicic was never a force at the Slams until this year so that gives hope to JB!

Grigollif1
06-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Bogie... Well, i agree. Passing Nalbandian in the ranking will be really challenging for Blake because Nalbandian seems to get to the semifinal everywhere all the time. Where Blake can get an advantege though, is the quantity of Hardcourts events on his backyard the U.S. Blake this year started doing really well on international events, so with a strong showing in the summer hard courts and in the indoor season everything is possible but, I do agree that it will be veryyyyy Hard for him to catch Nalbandian, just base on consistancy not qualiy.

lucky leprechaun
06-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Nalbandian's too consistent to get outranked by blake, even with this pathetic serve. That aside, I'm so happy blake is playing better and finally beat that punk roddick. Whatever happens I hope blake becomes the top american and I get to see him all the time. Fed, nadal, and blake on my tv set most of the time would make me happy.

tennisjunkiela
06-17-2006, 10:42 PM
if blake happens to be hewitt tommorrow, his ranking will jump way up (#4? or 5?) because he's not defending very many points until the us hard court season starts

rhubarb
06-17-2006, 11:03 PM
if blake happens to be hewitt tommorrow, his ranking will jump way up (#4? or 5?) because he's not defending very many points until the us hard court season starts

He'll stay at 7 whether he wins or not. A good Wimbledon would help him upwards, but he's unlikely to make the top 4 even if he won Wimby because the gap is too big.

Bogie
06-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Fed, nadal, and blake on my tv set most of the time would make me happy.

is it possible to be happy without having safin among that group as well?:D

Alexandros
06-18-2006, 01:19 AM

Uh, no. Even if he were to win Queens he'd stay 7th, with just a handful of points behind Davydenko and circa 100 behind Roddick. Learn the facts before making such assertions.

HyperHorse
06-18-2006, 01:50 AM
ill be watching Blake @ Wimbledon with much interest....
seems like his game is FINALLY coming around....
hope he gets to play Federer, should be a great match...
yes so he never done well @ Slams, before....
well i dont recall him ever beating Roddick on grass either...

Progressive10s
06-18-2006, 03:41 AM
The mental game is underrated, and Blake needs to make a quantum leap to beat Federer. I don't think it's the physical game, but he just melted against Roger at Indian Wells when he had him on the ropes. Watching that game where he was serving for the first set, it looked like he didn't believe he was in that position.

Steve Dykstra
06-18-2006, 05:41 AM
Blake is good no doubt, I think he will finish the year 5 or 6. I don't think he is more of a threat to Fed than Nalbandian or Ljubicic though, although his game does match up well with Nadal's on hard courts and probably grass. I see Nalbandian and Ljubic as 3 and 4 this year though, they are just a bit better overall than Blake. I think Blake will fight for the 5 spot with Ancic this year who is also picking up his game a lot lately. Berdych should break into the top 10 soon also. I'd like to see him fighting with those guys for the 5 spot. If someone else, maybe Hewitt can get back in the top 8 in place of Davydenko, that would be a great Masters Cup. Maybe even Roddick, but I think he is past his prime.

Simon Cowell
06-18-2006, 08:03 AM
This is what the top 3 should look like:

1) Nadal (Undisputed, we can all agree he's the best in the world)
2) Federer (No rival to Nadal, but does pretty decently beating up on weak players)
3) Blake (Matches up well with the best in the world, Nadal)

8PAQ
06-18-2006, 09:37 AM

2) Federer (No rival to Nadal, but does pretty decently beating up on weak players)

So you think Nadal will win Wimbledon and USO this year. After all that's what undisputed #1 would do. Also he should win TMC without losing more than 1 set. If that happens then Nadal will be the undisputed #1. Otherwise you are just an idiot.

BabolatFan
06-18-2006, 09:42 AM

...and he actually beat Nadal at 2005 uso and 2006 pacificlife. Blake's on his way up as high as #5 or #4 this year.

HyperHorse
06-18-2006, 10:41 AM

obviously you havent been watching tennis in the last 3yrs...
get a clue.

siber222000
06-18-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm all about hit return of serve.
The dude's return of serve drives me bonkers!
He was returning Roddick's first serve's with interest as winners!! ON GRASS!!!
:shock:
yeah that was interesting *seriously*

nah dude... nah.....

devila
06-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Blake's boring ego inflated fast like Federer's.
Blake's brother Thomas pitifully tried to pull Roddick's shorts down
during an interview. They're idiot fools.
I can't wait to see Federer and Blake fall down to #3 and #15 where they belong.

The commentators are so blind that they believe the opponents
weren't in bad shape and playing carelessly to let Blake and Federer back into matches.

exruda
06-18-2006, 11:18 AM
weren't in bad shape and playing carelessly to let Blake and Federer back into matches.
Roddick was in bad shape against Blake???????? What does his good shape look like, then?

th41291
06-18-2006, 11:37 AM
shut up devila...they're good! haha jk about the "shut up" part. Blake has been on a big up this year...good job for him

alienhamster
06-18-2006, 04:02 PM
shut up devila...they're good! haha jk about the "shut up" part. Blake has been on a big up this year...good job for him Please don't kid about the "shut up" part.

JayxTheKoolest
06-18-2006, 05:09 PM
is it possible to be happy without having safin among that group as well?:D

It's hard, but yes.

Gugafan_Redux
06-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Blake's boring ego inflated fast like Federer's.
Blake's brother Thomas pitifully tried to pull Roddick's shorts down
during an interview. They're idiot fools.
I can't wait to see Federer and Blake fall down to #3 and #15 where they belong.

Devilla reaches new heights of idiocy and nonsense. Soon, he'll be number one.

WTF is a "boring ego" anyway?