PDA

View Full Version : Water!

@wright
03-03-2004, 05:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=azth10703030336.scottsdale_azth107&prov =ap

:twisted: :twisted: WATER! :evil: :evil:

sseemiller
03-03-2004, 05:18 PM
:lol: I'm surprised it took you guys so long to comment on this. It happened last night, and has been the subject of several humorous articles.

I guess some habits are hard to break. :lol:

sseemiller
03-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Here's an article on it, although I think the person who typed it should get the "e" fixed on their keyboard. But it makes the whole article even more humorous. :lol:

Roddick completes rain-suspended match in under a minute

SportsTicker

By Paul Levine SportsTicker Contributing Writer SCOTTSDALE, Arizona (Ticker) - Th warm-up for Andy Roddick lasted longer than th match.

Th top-seeded Roddick needed less than a minute Wednesday to win th last two points and complete a controversial 6-3, 7-5 rain-suspended first-round victory over unseeded Dutchman John van Lottum at th $380,000 Franklin Templeton Tennis Classic.

"It was a pretty weird dynamic and I've never been in anything like that," Roddick said.

Roddick was two points from overcoming a temper tantrum following a questionable line call before two second-set rain delays totaling 91 minutes suspended play Tuesday night, leaving th reigning U.S. Open Champion with a 6-3, 6-5 lead.

Th two took center court and had an abbreviated 10-minute warm-up under warm and sunny skies. Whn play resumed, van Lottum netted a drop volley and pushd a cross backhand in th same spot in a 35-second span.

"It's a very tricky situation, especially coming out," said Roddick, who waited approximately 15 hours before putting th final nails in th coffin. "At 6-5, 30-0, th first point is insanely crucial. You lose it you're down, 30-40. I could've been in a breaker in 30 seconds or off court in 10 seconds."

While Roddick was completing his first-round match, fellow Americans Robby Ginepri and Vince Spadea moved into th quarterfinals following second-round victories.

Th third-seeded Ginepri fought off two match points to slip past hard-serving Wesley Moodie of South Africa, 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-4. Th fourth-seeded Spadea stopped fireballing lefthander Wayne Arthurs of Australia, 6-3, 6-2.

"It's always good to come back from two match points down and get th win, even if I didn't play my best tennis," Ginepri said. "He was so tough, I didn't know what to do out thre but keep trying harder and harder."

Moody hld a pair of match points on serve in th second set but Ginepri erased both, broke back and took th eventual tiebreaker. He snapped a third-set tie with a break in th ninth game before serving out th match at love.

Playing hre for th first time, Roddick went berserk over a changed line call in th second set that cost him a game. Chair umpire Enric Molina of Spain overruled a call by a lineswoman, giving van Lottum a 2-0 lead in th second set.

"It should have been at least a replay of th point," Roddick said. "It was almost two against me in one shot and it gave him th break."

Roddick called for ATP supervisor Gayle Bradshaw and pleaded his case for several minutes before Bradshaw refused to overrule th judgment call.

"Gayle was in a tough situation because h was off watching anothr court and didn't see it happen," Roddick said. "It puts Gayle in a really tough spot. If I had to regret one part of th outburst, it was probably on Gayle because h was th man stuck in th middle."

Roddick received a delay warning from Molina, thn shattered his racket, resulting in a racket abuse call and penalty point.

"Th question I kept asking (Molina) was, 'OK, if th ball was in, do you really think I wouldn't have swung at it and let it go past me on break point?'" Roddick explained. "He kept saying, 'It's over now.'" Roddick added that h thought th delay warning was uncalled for by Molina.

"He has to go one up on me by giving me a delay of game," Roddick said. "If I'm going to get one, I'm going to deserve it at least, and get some satisfaction out of it. " Rain delays interrupted th momentum of van Lottum, who squandered leads of 3-0 and 5-2 in th set.

@wright
03-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Susan, you know I had to post that, it was funny because I saw about 3 pics with the caption below starting with "Roddick yells at...". There were also 3 articles citing Roddick's tantrum. There hasn't been much Roddick bashing on the boards lately.

backhander
03-03-2004, 06:17 PM
I would have hoped that after reaching number one in the world, and winning the US Open, and having a spectacular summer that Andy would have mellowed out on these babyish tantrums, but I guess not. He's still being such a brat on the court.

I mean okay, so he disputes the line, that's fine. It's when he rudely argues with the umpire that makes him look like a spoiled brat. I don't see the umpire speaking to him as rudely as he is yelling at the umpire now. To add to that, he calles the ATP Supervisor, doesn't get his way, then smashed his racket. Yah that's a great role model there.

Cmon man, you're one of the top, top players, show some decorum. I was really hoping after what he acheived last year he would grow out of this phase. Do you guys think that it's because since the US Open, his results have not been very good?

sseemiller
03-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Of course, I knew you had to post it; it was just too funny not to post it. I just was surprised at the delay. :lol: And the article without the "e" was kind of funny, too. :lol:

And you are right, Alan. The Board has been very neutral on Roddick for the most part. So I was just having a bit of fun there. :mrgreen:

Oh, I just saw backhander's comments. I suspect Andy is feeling pressure of being the former No. 1 and being the chased instead of the hunter. His results haven't been that bad; he did win San Jose. But he's had some disappointments, although if he doesn't make it to Houston this year, I will be surprised.

These guys are all competitors, and they have different ways of dealing with their competitiveness. They get frustrated, and don't always deal with it the best way they could. Andy isn't the only one who does that. But I don't think we should emphasize the negative at the expensive of the positive. I could post an article about what Andy recently did for a 2-year-old patient at St. Jude's hospital that would totally warm your hearts. I won't do it, but I could. :wink:

Just remember that role models are human. And at least Andy isn't charged with some criminal conduct, as some of our sports "role models" in the United States are facing. I think he does his best, but his competitiveness on court gets the best of him at times -- which likely is why where he is on today's Tour.

Susan

sliceroni
03-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Did his hairdresser accidently cut that bald spot on top of his head or was that planned? Anyway, one of the millions of reasons why tennis is better with Federer on top rather than this kid.

backhander
03-03-2004, 11:14 PM
I know Andy does awesome stuff as far as charitable stuff outside of the court, and that is totally great, and I applaud him for that. And I know there are some others that have tantrums too, I'm not making excuses for them at all. I hate it when players do that.

Susan, I think you are kind of biased when it comes to Andy though, as is anyone else when they are a fan of somebody. I think maybe cause I'm not a Roddick fan, that makes it easier for me to be critical of him. But honestly, I used to like the guy till I couldn't take any more of his tantrums.

I know others do it, but I consistently see Roddick do it, and for someone who acts great off the court, it's makes it even more annoying to see him act as a brat on the court. Like I said, every tantrum that I do see from him, he acts so disrespectful to the person he engaging with.

I think after winning the US though, his performance has been pretty bad for a #1 player. I know he won San Jose, but that's been it I think, not exactly something you'd expect from a #1 contender and reigning US Open Champ.

Do you guys think this is because of his off court distractions (That reality show thing) and the fact that he is feeling even more pressure since winning the US Open.

sseemiller
03-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Backhander, that's fine. I'm so used to Andy critics, I'm surprised when someone comes out in support of him. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised when someone says something nice about him here. Almost shocked in fact. :lol:

I don't think I'm too biased re Andy, though. Perhaps a year or so ago I was, but now I have a Nadal site, and I just kind of watch all things ATP related. [Now, I am biased re Nadal, no question. :lol: ]

But I think Andy is a great guy. Like all of us, he has his less-than-stellar moments, but he more than makes up for them. And I hope he continues to do well on the Tour. He has worked hard for what he has accomplished, and he's good for U.S. tennis, in my view. He certainly hasn't hurt things any. At least he's helping to keep the ATP on the US tennis radar screen. :mrgreen: And that in itself is worth something.

And one final word to Slicereni -- just think Andre Agassi, and what he did after he revealed his bald spot. :lol:

Susan

yee
03-04-2004, 07:26 AM
I honestly though he had improved. I'm just glad I didn't have to witness this on tv this round. I think this is one of the reasons I just can't enjoy watching him. Yelling and shouting at Umpire for 5 minutes over 1 bad call in a minor tournament indeed is extremely "dramatic" and totally immature. Waste of everybody's time for nothing.

For god's sake, grow up and learn to show some respects to others at least on the court as well.

sliceroni
03-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Andy isn't balding yet, looks like his barber F@#ked up just like he did.

atatu
03-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Yeah, Andy is the only player in the history of the ATP tour that has thrown a temper tantrum. Agassi would never do such a thing. Goran or Safin, they've never even thought about breaking a racket in anger. Hewitt ? A perfect gentleman at all times....

Bob Murray
03-04-2004, 08:03 AM
On court in the heat of battle it's live and raw you can't hide what you really are. I'll bet it happens again.

PFurlong
03-04-2004, 08:07 AM
No one has mentioned WHAT happened to make Andy so made. For what it's worth, I agreed with Andy and felt he was due a replay. It happened during a long-ish rally. Andy was at the baseline prepared to hit a forehand. The ball hit near the line and an "out" call was made. Andy was behind the ball racquet back READY TO HIT when he stopped because of the call. Immediately the chair called good and awarded the game to van Lottum. This was for a 2-0 lead in the second. He could have easily made the play. He stopped when he heard the call. Since he was in a position to play. Shouldn't that have been a replay?

chad shaver
03-04-2004, 08:09 AM
On court in the heat of battle it's live and raw you can't hide what you really are. I'll bet it happens again.

Quite true: emotional and human.

Bob Murray
03-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Over-rules are not just reserved for Roddick other players get them as well. It funny to me how Nalbandian was dissed for complaining about his bad line calls against Roddick @ USO 2003 but now the dissers support Roddick for complaining! :o

Sampras had class he'd never act like Roddick.

He win more slams and will show his ugly side again. :roll:

audioaffliction
03-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Hmmm...I haven't been on the boards lately and had no idea there was so much Roddick bashing. For the record, I'm neither a Roddick fan nor a hater. He's not the first pro out there to throw a tantrum and certainly nowhere near the worst, and not even the worst American we've seen--Connors and McEnroe easily come to mind. Even Agassi in his younger days could be a holy terror. I'm sure the guy will mellow out as he gets older/more mature. Just think about the kind of stuff that used to set you off at this age--then compare it to what these guys are going through, with the media spotlight on them and everything.

As for Sampras...I'm sorry, but I had a personal encounter with him when I was a kid that will always color my impression of him. To me, no matter how many Slams he's won, Sampras is a guy with no class at all.

rommil
03-04-2004, 11:27 AM
This one is too easy.

Bhagi Katbamna
03-04-2004, 11:29 AM
I agree he should have gotten a replay of the point. It's one thing if it was an unreturnable serve but it sounds like he was about to hit the ball and stopped playing because the linesman called it out.

Shaolin
03-04-2004, 01:05 PM
AudioAffliction---
What happened when you met Sampras?

ps--interested in any Aegis 2's?

PFurlong
03-04-2004, 01:17 PM
This is exactly what happened. He had a chance for a play. He was right behind the ball for an easy forehand. THAT should have been cause enough the the tounament chair should have asked for the replay. It took something away from the ump when he tried to tell the Tournament Official that Roddick wasn't in a position to play the ball. He claimed it was behind Andy. And this made Andy and the crowd very vocal. Anyone who heard him say this went nuts. No was Andy not in position to make that shot. He was there waiting for it! Anyway, it took too long and started that skid to 2-5. And the rest is already history. Few will remember because this is Scottsdale.

spinbalz
03-04-2004, 02:13 PM
It seems to me that each time that Andy Roddick goes for his "wild reactions", it's during a tournament played inside the USA, every where else he seems to tone down his reactions...

Do you agree, or do you have some exemples that contradict my point?

magiset
03-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Give him the replay or don't give him the replay; it's over now. My question is why is there this attraction to a super-rich, bore of a young adult with a good (not great) game? When are these lesser forms of escapism and reality check-ins (try to be me, but you'll never be me, ha-ha) going to be enough?

AND when will SANTORO win a GRAND SLAM? :evil: 706 :evil:

P.S. Ignore me, I don't have the Tennis Channel in my church. How 'bout yours?

audioaffliction
03-04-2004, 02:41 PM
AudioAffliction---
What happened when you met Sampras?

ps--interested in any Aegis 2's?

The Sampras story goes like this.

The year: 1991. The place: Singapore. The major tennis event of the year was about to take place (we didn't get a lot of major tennis events back then) in the form of a round-robin exhibition series featuring Ivan Lendl, Michael Chang, Stefan Edberg and Pete Sampras. They had all been paid big bucks to swing by our little island nation to play what was essentially a fun round of matches with nothing at stake.

Back then, I was a bit of an autograph hound, so I decided to swing by the players' hotel to see if I might be able to catch them on their way out to practice or something. I was a nationally ranked junior in those days and my friends who were in the top 2 or 3 were going to get to hit with them, so I knew what time they'd be leaving the hotel for the practice courts. When I got there, Lendl was already heading out to his courtesy car. He stopped to sign posters and tennis balls for some other kids, but I was just a bit late and he took off after obliging the group around him. He seemed real friendly too, which I thought was pretty cool for a guy who'd held the No. 1 ranking longer than just about anybody.

I hung around for another hour or so in the hotel lobby before Sampras showed up with his entourage in tow--his brother and a few other people I didn't recognize. A bunch of other kids immediately made their way toward him and I joined them. Bear in mind that some of these kids were as young as 8-years old. There were maybe about a dozen kids or so, myself included. We were not rowdy or demanding or anything. What does Sampras & Co. do? They brush past everybody, noses in the air--literally--and without even so much as eye contact or a declining word! Sampras just stared straight ahead and kept on walking. Some of the younger kids were brushed aside by his big equipment bag, as he wouldn't even so much as sidestep them to avoid them--he expected everyone to clear the way for him when he wouldn't even so much as look at them. Needless to say, the younger kids were pretty upset and one or two were in tears (their parents were pretty outraged too.)

So that's my Sampras story, and it's one that I'll never forget. By the way, Edberg, who'd come fresh off taking the U.S. Open crown from Sampras (hah!), came down about 10 minutes after and signed autographs for everyone. I even got to exchange a few friendly words with him, mostly to the effect of "Good luck" and "Kick Pete's *****!". He was my favorite player back then and I was relieved that he behaved nothing like Sampras. At the time, Sampras only had the 1990 U.S. Open to his name. I can only imagine what effect an additional 13 Slams has had on him.

p.s. Try Audiogon for selling your Aegis 2's. :D

hangzhou
03-04-2004, 04:26 PM
If Andy wants replay, then he should make the replay with Nalbandian when Nalbandian's on the line shot (holding match point) was called by audience. To me, he need the replay to prove himself as a legitimate grand slam champion.

sseemiller
03-04-2004, 05:11 PM
:lol: It's not as if Nalbandian was out of the match after that call. Andy still had to take the tiebreak, and then win two more sets to take the match. Personally, I give him credit for doing that, after being in such a large hole. I was surprised he dug himself out of it actually.

And perhaps that call, if it was wrong, made up for the overrule two years before in the Hewitt match in the quarters. Now that was a terrible call -- one of the worst ever, especially at that stage of the match! I think Andy could have won the match, and if he had, he would have beaten Kafel and Sampras, just the way Hewitt did. It was that match that decided that final winner. :) So some could say Andy's win came two years later than it should have. :lol: Just to play :twisted: advocate. 8)

But if you want to believe Andy doesn't deserve a slam win, fine. He has it anyway, so it really doesn't matter. :wink: He dominated the summer hardcourt season, so the win wasn't a total :o.

audioaffliction, it's always been tough to get a Sampras autograph. Some players are better about it than others, and Pete was never known for being particularly amenable. Agassi isn't either, although my kids did get his autograph in LA one year. Andre was great about it; signed for everyone who wanted one.

One thing about Andy, he will sign as many autographs as he can. He's usually pretty mobbed, but he will take time to sign quite a few.

Shaolin
03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Audio--
Thanks for the story. Samps never struck me as a particuarly enlightened or friendly person, I just like the s&v game being played at a high level. Too bad you had a crappy encounter with him. At least you got to meet Lendl and Edberg, that aint bad!
As for the Aegis 2s my dad scours the Audiogon site and I dont want him to know Im selling them LOL. Thanks for the suggestion though...

fricknfrat
03-04-2004, 05:44 PM
I swear sseemiller, everytime I read a post of your that has to do with Andy Roddick, I feel like throwing up. You'd like to be his personal pet don't you.

I guess in your eyes, Roddick can do no wrong, so I guess he could argue and spit and throw a ton of tantrums during every match, and you'd be owe so proud of him. And I'm sure you would, since I remember a post from you way back saying that if he was your son, you'd be proud of him.

I don't like the kid, and I don't hate the kid, what I hate though is reading your posts and seeing the saliva drip from your mouth. Just hearing how you defend his tantrums is despicable. And then hearing how he should have won that US Open, and that he lost it cause of the bad call during the Hewitt match, please. I guess he shouldn't have won last years US Open then, cause Nalbandian was robbed, and lets not even mention how Roddick gained from the rain delays and scheduling.

Geez woman, you had left saying you probably wouldn't come back. Why come back then? Couldn't resist making more salivating comments about Roddick could you. Uh oh, are you gonna me dramatic again and leave only to come back a few months later? Hope not as far as the latter is concerned.

sseemiller
03-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Don't read my posts then. A very easy solution. Don't want to hurt your digestive system. :lol:

hangzhou
03-04-2004, 06:38 PM
:lol: It's not as if Nalbandian was out of the match after that call. Andy still had to take the tiebreak, and then win two more sets to take the match. Personally, I give him credit for doing that, after being in such a large hole. I was surprised he dug himself out of it actually.

And perhaps that call, if it was wrong, made up for the overrule two years before in the Hewitt match in the quarters. Now that was a terrible call -- one of the worst ever, especially at that stage of the match! I think Andy could have won the match, and if he had, he would have beaten Kafel and Sampras, just the way Hewitt did. It was that match that decided that final winner. :) So some could say Andy's win came two years later than it should have. :lol: Just to play :twisted: advocate. 8)

But if you want to believe Andy doesn't deserve a slam win, fine. He has it anyway, so it really doesn't matter. :wink: He dominated the summer hardcourt season, so the win wasn't a total :o.

audioaffliction, it's always been tough to get a Sampras autograph. Some players are better about it than others, and Pete was never known for being particularly amenable. Agassi isn't either, although my kids did get his autograph in LA one year. Andre was great about it; signed for everyone who wanted one.

One thing about Andy, he will sign as many autographs as he can. He's usually pretty mobbed, but he will take time to sign quite a few.

Well, you never know what would happen. I was betting that Ferror would take Andy out in the final based on their semifinal performance and past records. But it turned out the other way. So no one knows whether Andy would get that slam (I don't know which one you are talking about though, I was very later to tennis). :lol: Plus Andy need pass two guys (Kafel and Sampras) vs. one (from 50% down to 25% statistically/roughly). :oops:

It's funny also when comparing Andy, Ferror and Federer's records last year, Ferror won more points than the other two in grand slams. :shock: Both Ferror and Federer have clean wins for their slam titles. :lol:

If that call was made by Ump or line person, then I would agree it's fair for not giving Nalbandian a replay. But it was the audience. A truely unfair to Nalbandian. That's not Andy's fault at all, but his legitimate win still misses that replay. :wink:

I like Andy's serves and forehand, but just that for his games now (I like Federor's deadly serves more than Andy's). He might win more slams.

Andy has the title anyway, it really doesn't matter as you said. He deserve that slam titile. But his win was not complete clean. :wink: Yes, Andy dominated the summer hardcourt, but Ferror dominated the clay court and Federer was/is dominating almost everything before/now. :lol: Plus monster Safin is back, and Hewitt is on fire again. :lol: Both Coria and Nalbandian are in very good shape. All that means more troubles for Andy. :lol:

It's fun to play advocate with you, Susan.

sseemiller
03-04-2004, 06:52 PM
I agree, hangzhou. Thanks for the non-personal response. You make great points.

But the point I was making is that bad line calls happen to all players, and often it's how you deal with them that makes the difference between whether you win or lose. Roddick did himself a huge disservice in that Hewitt match. The match was dead-even, and he lost it when the chair overruled a good call (in his favor). And lost concentration. Of course, he was 18, but still, he should haven't let that happen.

Overall, Roddick had better slam results than Federer last year, which is why he finished No. 1. He also won two Masters Series events, and that made the difference. I agree Ferrero had a great year, too, and he could have finished the year No. 1. It was a very close horse race. And I love seeing a "claycourter" doing so well. Ferrero is very talented, and underrated in my view.

I'm just stating facts. I do like Andy very much, but I'm an advocate more than anything else. And sometimes I need to defend the underdog -- and Andy is that on this Board. But my true salivating is reserved for Rafa. No question -- I'm just so excited about that kid. And he could even be seeded for Indian Wells. *keeping my fingers crossed*

Yes, it's fun playing :twisted: advocate at times, particularly when it's done in the right spirit. :mrgreen:

Take care.

Susan

rommil
03-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Susan( I am not being sarcastic or anything), with all those farewell post and saying good bye, why did you come back?

@wright
03-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Susan, I think part of the reason you like Andy is because you know him and he is a nice guy in person. It's a shame that most of us have to see his tantrums and judge his personality by that, but at the same time does he not care what people are perceiving him to be based on these tirades?

sseemiller
03-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Because I was asked to. And because I wanted to.

And to be completely honest, the main reason I left was because someone affiliated with the Board was creating some major computer-related problems for me. That has been resolved, thank goodness. There was some help from TW management on that, and I thank them.

And I like the new Board format. :lol:

Alan, I don't know Andy very well. But he's been wonderful to me when I have met him. I tell you one thing, he doesn't just shake your hand when you hold it out to him; he gives you a huge bear hug. Sampras wouldn't have done that.

One of my fave stories is from Indian Wells last year. Hey, it's Roddick night, and I may as well spill it. Someone said a while ago they want more off-court info. :lol:

Anyway, I came back to the hotel after a dinner with a friend, and walked downstairs to go to the elevator, and I heard someone rapping `Ice Ice Baby. ' Well, I knew it was Andy, and I walked into the hotel lounge, and he was up on stage with one of my best friends rapping to the song. It was hilarious.

Anyway, afterwards, he and I spoke for a few moments. He asked me when I was leaving and such, and we talked a bit, and then I said talk to you later. And he gave me a huge hug. And then he went on his way, and I went over to talk to friends and such, but before he left, he came over to me and said "Susan, just want to say goodbye. See ya at the next tournament." And gave me another hug. No big deal, except that he took the time to go over and say bye. And he went out of his way in Houston to acknowledge me, too, and that was after he won his slam and such. Not many players do that for fans. So in that way I am bias, I guess. :lol:

And, really, how many tirades has he really thrown in the past year? This past one was the first one I can recall in a long time. nd it wasn't well done of him. I think he should have questioned the call, and then after a bit, let it go. But I'm not him. It's his nature, and he obviously was frustrated and let loose. He controls it most of the time, but I think there are times he will let go. And he must have really felt strongly about this, or he wouldn't have done it.

And if you don't like it, that's fine. I don't care for it either, but again, I don't think he overdoes it, and there are other things I do like about him. So it does compensate.

I do have to laugh at folks here saying that being a fan clouds your view, but I think not being a fan of a player clouds your view, too. It goes both ways. :wink:

Susan

rommil
03-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Fair enough Susan. I will do a lot of skip reading then especially with those long post. BTW, I hope Monica comes back soon.

sseemiller
03-04-2004, 09:12 PM
No worries, Rommil. I'll be at Indian Wells, and then I'm going to USA vs. SWE in Florida, so my posting will be limited in coming weeks.

And you should just all cross your fingers that Rafa does well. When he's going gangbusters, I won't have time to come over here. :lol:

But in all seriousness, I did have to confront some not-so-fun issues here, and I think those are behind us. I'm here to have fun, and to not get embroiled in negativity. I hope others feel the same way. If we do, all will be fine.

I notice there is a separate Rant & Raves section, and I'm not interesting in getting involved in that. I'm interested in Pro Tennis.

Oh, and yes, I love Monica. I also hope she comes back, too. She's my fave WTA player, although I like Kim a lot, too.

Regards,

Susan

The Franchise
03-04-2004, 09:30 PM
I swear, some of you are so insanely single minded with your hatred of Roddick that it makes me laugh.

Oh my god, he argued a call for five minutes, it's the end of the world. Holy sh*t, nobody has ever done that before. Roddick is the devil incarnated. If you like him and defend him, then you're an ***** kissing schmuck.

Please people, why can't we all just get along and combine our efforts against the real devil of tennis, J "the Hand" Double H? I hate that gremlin looking boy-girl with all my heart. Thank you for listening.

sseemiller
03-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Yep, you have Kobe Bryant up on **** charges, and we are focusing on Andy's rant at a chair umpire. I bet Kobe's popularity on this site is much greater than Andy's. :lol:

But I'm surprised you haven't picked up on what Andy did to Mandy in front of the paparazzi. Actually, I was more surprised by that than I was by his rant at the umpire. This was more out of character.

Anyway, I'm sure someone will find it and comment on it. If there's a negative Andy item out there, it will be posted. So I won't bother.

Good night!

Susan

yee
03-04-2004, 10:24 PM
So what if that was really a bad call? Which player doesn't get this type of shit??? This is not a hard fought 5 set slam final when Andy's 34 or 36, last chance of winning another slam for gods sake...chill out! Not all things have to go your way all the time. Deal with it.

Justifying his terrible on court behaviour with off court is just as irrelevant. Of course he can be nice person blah blah blah...but who the hell deserve being verballly abused at publicly by this spoilt kid? His afterwards interview was even worse. I would have thought he will be at least felt sorry or embarrassed by the behaviour, but obviously not, he actually have the cheek of saying that he was prepared to quit the match!!!??? Drama queen...How arrogant can he be?

And no I'm not hating Andy to say that, I will say the same to every other single player who behave such way.

hangzhou
03-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Susan, agree with most of points. Tennis is a mental game. Mind/concentration plays big roles than I thought before. But not unfair interference from audience or other sources. I suggest ban that guy from any sports life time, man that guy really sucks. He should be deserted :o

I can't speak for other people, so I just spoke myself. I don't like Andy recently mainly because he is the symbol of whole game. Because of him, we got less coverage of excellent games or other talented players out there. We are the victim of the scheme, so I spoke again that scheme, not personally against Andy. I may find him quite charming if I get the chance. But as the scheme continues, I will continues against him as the symbol.

For this case, I believe Andy overdone what he should, although eventually he won the game. Nothing against him, just felt if he continues doing that, he will lost his mental balance and other players, such as Federer/Ferrero, take advantage of that easily.

Andy has more points than Federer, but Federer won more money than Andy last year. :lol: Ferrero has better results in the four grand slams than both Andy and Federer. Now Federer has showed us that he can lead the new trend or break through while getting more slam titles. He might be able to get all slam titles as Andre did, which will be very rare... :idea: Meanwhile Ferrero was and is doing great in the same direction, securing his dominance on clay court while venturing into hard court and grass court. Federer and Ferrero, plus Safin, Moya and Hewitt, could lead the new wave for all court players in my view. I wish Andy can improve his volleys so that his serve will be more effective to prove huge serve can change the rules of tennis game and set a new level for it. By that he will probably get more titles and get them more easily and elegantly. By that, doctors will get more business and money of repairing their injured arms... :wink:

For your favorite Nadal, sorry I haven't watched his games. So no comments. :roll:

Anyway, have to stop here to make the list readable. Susan, thanks for your posts, especially those inside information, to which we don't have access.

Take care

Deuce
03-05-2004, 12:26 AM
For my part, I think ol' Andy is taking Drama lessons from Mandy. That's fine, though, as his behavior on or off the court doesn't seem to be affecting my life, as it obviously IS affecting the lives of some of you, somehow.

This is the most ridiculous thread I've yet read on the new board.

sseemiller
03-05-2004, 12:37 AM
But it's also the most popular in a while. Is there some correlation between popularity and ridiculousness? :lol:

jayserinos99
03-05-2004, 12:39 AM
funny is popular you know.