PDA

View Full Version : Roger Federer Is Annoying

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 07:20 AM
I'll get crap for this but who cares....

Is anyone else sick of him winning everything? Seriously, its getting old. You don't even have to watch tennis to know the results of anything besides the matchup between Federer vs. Nadal. No one else can beat him, because everyone else chokes against him or doesn't believe they can beat him. I mean c'mon, he went to 3 sets FOUR TIMES this week, even faced match points, and still no one could beat him. Its just ridiculous. Unless the rest of the ATP can step up and start beating him, the tour is a joke. Just a bunch of chokers, he's really good, but he's not invincible.

oscar_2424
06-18-2006, 07:25 AM
So he is annoying because nobody can beat him?? you dont make sense

J-man
06-18-2006, 07:25 AM
So a player is a joke becasue you can't beat the world #1 no?!! no he isn't

Wouldn't you go into a match thinking the chances of beating Federer are close to zero????

It's a big deal having match points against the #1 player in the world. PLus Federer is not one to easily give up

Nyl
06-18-2006, 07:36 AM
well, i think this is even better, it pushes the quality of tennis

exruda
06-18-2006, 07:52 AM
You just can't be pleased. When Fed wins a torunament he's boring, when he loses (to Nadal) he's boring. How can the result of a match with 4 match points for one player and finally won by another be considered obvious?

Shabazza
06-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Cry me a river!!! :(

Simon Cowell
06-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Federer himself is not annoying, his jock-riding g.o.a.t. fans are.

FEDEXP
06-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah, and his detractors are so bright and post really though provoking stuff.

dh003i
06-18-2006, 08:56 AM
So you get to downplay his accomplishments because he's so great that he makes everyone else look bad? But when he loses against Nadal, oh, then he's over the hill, on the downside of his career, will never win another Grand Slam again, is a choker, isn't really that great, and probably won't win Wimbledon?

Really, what does the guy have to do to get some respect? He gets to the finals on his worst surface, and loses to the best clay-court player in the game -- probably one of the best (not greatest) clay-courtesr of all time -- and that's somehow a big huge failure.

This is bull-****.

siber222000
06-18-2006, 08:57 AM
So he is annoying because nobody can beat him?? you dont make sense
exactly

8PAQ
06-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah, and his detractors are so bright and post really though provoking stuff.

Hey what do you expect? It is grass season again. It is tough be a Fed hater this time of the year. All those ******s can hope for is that Fed loses a single set during a match.

Fischer76
06-18-2006, 09:02 AM

Is anyone else sick of him winning everything? Seriously, its getting old. You don't even have to watch tennis to know the results of anything besides the matchup between Federer vs. Nadal. No one else can beat him, because everyone else chokes against him or doesn't believe they can beat him. I mean c'mon, he went to 3 sets FOUR TIMES this week, even faced match points, and still no one could beat him. Its just ridiculous. Unless the rest of the ATP can step up and start beating him, the tour is a joke. Just a bunch of chokers, he's really good, but he's not invincible.

Tennis is so predictable these days. When it's not on clay and Nadal is not there, you don't need to watch the match when Federer is playing as he's sure to win. But I don't agree that Federer is the one that's boring. It's the whole competition!!! I mean there's none. Tennis fans should be grateful that at least we have Nadal as competition to Fed. When they play, we're not sure who's going to win(at least, when they are not playing on grass). With them playing, there's still an element of excitement a surprise if you will. The rest of the tour tho' is one big disappointment. They retire (for whatever reason), choke, or fold over.

Boja
06-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Holler, who is your favorite player? Somebody like Gimelstob? You know, he barely wins so he's not annoying...

matchpoint
06-18-2006, 09:16 AM
The real annoying is the op. :mrgreen:

dh003i
06-18-2006, 09:22 AM
8PAQ,

Yea, and if he loses a single set at Wimbledon, but wins it, it'll be, oh the guy is clearly slipping.

Message to Nadal fans: Face it, Federer's the best player in tennis today. Period. He's the 2nd best player on Nadal's favorite surface (clay), and the best player on every other surface. Sorry, head to head doesn't count: only grand slams count.

How about we just face the fact that Federer is the prohibitive favorite for every tournament and grand slam from this point in the year.

flymeng
06-18-2006, 09:24 AM
It is not annoying but boring because the results are predictable. Roger is a nice guy. There is no excitement. No one can challenge him except for Rafael on clay.

BabolatFan
06-18-2006, 09:27 AM

Isn't it fantastic about Roger? He's pushing the limits and the rest of top players'd better bring it. This hardcourt season should be even more exciting with alot of improved players...

dh003i
06-18-2006, 09:31 AM
hey, reality check for all of you ***-hats trying to downplay Roger's accomplishments by saying the competition isn't that great: If he didn't exist, there'd be someone else on top, and it would probably be much closer (the rest of the field is much closer). Then, people would say, "wow, how competitive it is: this #1 guy (Roddick or Hewitt) really isn't that much better than anyone else: he isn't dominant".

I guess you just can't win.

tonsorial
06-18-2006, 09:34 AM
well said dh003i, ill go with u

alienhamster
06-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Sure, I'd like it to be a bit more competitive at the top, but I'm not annoyed at Federer at all. His play is so fun to watch, just aesthetically. So much variety in terms of shotmaking.

Now Pete Sampras--there was a guy with great skill who utterly bored me to death. His dominance was annoying as hell. So glad that's over.

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Maybe I should have titled the thread "The fact no one can beat Roger Federer is annoying," rather than he is annoying himself.

I have nothing against Federer, and I think its great for him that he has been able to accomplish so much. But let's be honest, as a fan and a spectator, it is highly unentertaining to see the same person win everything all the time. And a lot of the time, he is winning in less than thrilling and appealing matches. For instance, during the French Open, I've never seen someone (who is #1 in the world) shank so many shots and still win matches. Of course, the finals match he shanked a ridiculous amount and lost, but still. Although Federer has proven to be unbeatable (with the exception of Nadal), a lot of times he wins with less than stellar performances, and I have to credit this more to the nerves of his opponents rather than his fine play. The rest of the tour have placed him on such a pedestal, that they honestly don't think they have a chance against him (including Roddick, Hewitt, Ljubicic - who have all publicly and practically admitted this). When you have top 5 and top 10 players saying this, it doesn't bode well for the sport.

Sure, some of you think its great that Federer is raising the bar so high, which is fine, but I think after 2 and a half years of doing so, that is plenty. Others besides Nadal seriously need to step it up, because its boring for the sport. Its boring and predictable for me, knowing that every day that I checked the results this week in Halle, I see Federer win, win, win, and win some more, even in 3 set matches, that I have to assume a lot of the players had their chances (especially the 4 match points Rochus had......= NERVES). These players don't believe they can beat him......

This isn't an attack on Federer guys, so stop hating. Its not even an attack. I'm simply saying that the sheer fact that knowing every match involving Federer is highly UNentertaining and predictable, is getting old, monotonous, and is making tennis NOT fun to watch.

For example, how many of you during the Australian Open (especially knowing Nadal wasn't there) was really hoping for Haas, Davydenko, or even Baghdatis to pull through and upset Federer? I was - it would have been great for the sport. Yeah, they gave him some good sets, and then foiled. And everyone credits Federer for stepping up his play all the time (I would more than likely say he stays consistent rather than steps it up, while at the same time his opponents get nervous and fold).

I guess this is what I'm saying - There is entirely waaaayyy too much depth (skill wise) on the ATP tour today for someone to be completely unbeatable. The fact that Federer is, I think, is more due to the fact his opponents have no belief in winning before they step on the court, and you can't argue with that fact. The one person who does believe he can beat Federer, does.....and regularly.....

RadekStepanekTheKing
06-18-2006, 10:19 AM
It is not annoying but boring because the results are predictable. Roger is a nice guy. There is no excitement. No one can challenge him except for Rafael on clay.
For me the fact that he wins almost everything is annoying enough..

HyperHorse
06-18-2006, 10:25 AM
The real annoying is the op. :mrgreen:

im with you there....
HollerOne5, shut up and admire Roger's brilliance...
players like this dont come along very often.
im also waiting for a rivalry just like yourself, so i know your frustration...
just get over it...:rolleyes:

Roger is Boring
06-18-2006, 10:33 AM
I dont like him cause he is soooo arrogant and he doesnt show any respect for players who are better than him, like nadal.hes really a sore loser an not the classact the media makes him out to be.

mileslong
06-18-2006, 10:37 AM
I dont like him cause he is soooo arrogant and he doesnt show any respect for players who are better than him, like nadal.
it just gets more and more stupid on this board. please tell what players are better than federer? he has over 7000 points, nadal has 4000 something. why dont you give us an example of this instead of just more midless statements from the most jealous person on ths board.

exruda
06-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I dont like him cause he is soooo arrogant and he doesnt show any respect for players who are better than him, like nadal.hes really a sore loser an not the classact the media makes him out to be.
"like nadal"?
Nadal is the only candidate for a player "better than Fed", and many poeple do not find him anywhere better than Fed on any surface other than clay, so that is disputable, too.

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 10:39 AM
im with you there....
HollerOne5, shut up and admire Roger's brilliance...
players like this dont come along very often.
im also waiting for a rivalry just like yourself, so i know your frustration...
just get over it...:rolleyes:

How am I being annoying? I'm not even waiting for a rivalry, I'm waiting for other players to step up and be able to close out matches versus Roger. And I think Roger is great, but he is not brilliant trust me. I've haven't seen a top level player shank as many balls as he did in the French Final, or play the way he did. I'd hardly call that brilliant.

RiosTheGenius
06-18-2006, 10:40 AM
I think you're annoying for starting this thread :lol:

siber222000
06-18-2006, 10:43 AM
I think you're annoying for starting this thread :lol:
hahahah :mrgreen:

devila
06-18-2006, 10:46 AM
He's a bore and I don't watch his matches unless
he starts crying and whining, especially when he plays
Nadal, Roddick or Nalbandian!!!

Federer enjoys showing off how he can get away
with selfishness and evilness. He's such an egomaniac. No wonder
his apologists share his traits. They just don't have tennis success.
LMFAO!!!!!!! * roar
Fed's full of contempt and bitterness when he loses.
"I should've won. Nadal's coach cheated. I found out!!!!!....I'm not saying
that Nadal cheated."

The world's losers never choked when they had
match points against him, though. A midget, Rochus, should've beaten
the MIGHTY GIANT. Federer loves poor competition full of mental
midgets too. Roddick and Nalbandian. Blake was added to the list.
He knows he's a mental midget against NADAL. OH NO!!!
You have to beat him in straight sets to have the Fed trolls' respect.
LMAO!!

When he plays badly again, which is very often,
he can give the "I'm practically standing on one leg and I'm
the only star left" excuse as he loses. What a brilliant celebrity!

Everyone has to lose early to make him
happy. He admitted this in 2004.
He knows it's his opponents' faults when they choke against him
They are already physically weak compared to him and
they also collapse under Federer's self-promotion
and overwhelming media lies.
The top players are afraid of humiliation if they admit that
Federer's a shameful liar, and ugly, boring overrated player and person.
He'll do anything to make himself look superior in every way.
That's death to tennis.
I advise the nonFed fans to save their money
for important things like food and housing expenses.
Don't spend it on Federer matches. Embarrassing.

dh003i
06-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Nadal better than Federer? The only way you could make that idiotic claim is if you go only by head to head. But then Blake would be better than Nadal, and Federer better than Blake: head-to-head does not determine who the best player in the world is, and cannot by definition, due to its inconsistent rankings.

So, anyone who uses h2h to decide who the best player in the world is...is a complete and total moron.

We have a ranking system; we also have ATP race points. Federer is #1 in both. Federer also holds 3 of the last 4 Grand Slams. Conclusion: Federer is the best player in the ATP. End of discussion.

Even without engaging in any math, it should be obvious that when Federer is a great player on clay -- 2nd best on the surface -- and the best player on every other surface; while Nadal is best on clay, average on grass, and merely good on hard-courts; that Federer is the better player.

Also, I don't agree that one player winning everything is boring. For one thing, this is an ex-post judgement. It isn't at all certain that Federer is going to win every non-clay tournament he enters. We just look back with hindsight on that. And I highly disagree with the statement that Federer never ups his game, and plays "poor" even when he wins. If you watch his games, he clearly does up it when he starts out poorly initially.

Look, the Chicago Bulls won everything during that 3-3 run they had with Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson. I'd hardly call that boring. And the NBA was very very popular during that time, and has since declined in popularity (I mean, teams winning the NBA Finals after the Bulls -- the former Lakers, the Spurs, the Pistons, and either the Mavericks or the Heat -- would have been blown out of the water by the Chicago Bulls).

simi
06-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Everybody, outside of New York, hated the Yankees during their glory decades. It's just the way it is in sports. People like a winner, then later hate him/her/them because they keep on winning.

On Roger, enjoy his brilliance. It will be gone soon enough. Then in the decades to come, you can tell your grandchildren that you watched him play and describe just how good he was.

Grigollif1
06-18-2006, 11:03 AM
For me the fact that he wins almost everything is annoying enough..
Yeah, if it was Andre Agassi you wouldn't be complainning hun?
after all, you would have plenny of more images to add to the picture thread...lol

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 11:18 AM
If my grandchildren ask me about watching Federer dominate over a 3 year span or so, I'll tell them it was more likely due to mentally weak competition. He's winning tournaments the way the WTA used to be dominated when it had no depth. He has only one challenger, its a complete joke. No one can sit there and honestly admit that Federer is highly entertaining to watch. Yes, sometimes he hits some ridiculous shots, but overall, his game is boring to watch, and the manner in which he wins, is more just taking opponents out of their game with his variety, rather than taking it to them. You can counter that by saying that is brilliance in itself, which it may be. But as a spectator, its boring to see that gameplan defeat everyone. He's not blowing people off the court by any means.

Tennis_Goodness
06-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Federer is just too good. Nobody is ever going to become number 1 with him around. He probablly is going to end up as the best ever!

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Federer is just too good. Nobody is ever going to become number 1 with him around. He probablly is going to end up as the best ever!

I doubt that. Everyone has highs and lows. Whether it be by injury, or the fact the competition catches onto him, Federer will not be #1 until the day he retires, unless he retires within the next 2 years or so, which is highly unlikely. What the tennis world needs is for some other players besides Nadal to step it up mentall and rise to the big occasions. Nalbandian has the capability I suppose, seeing how he now regularly gets to Semis in slams and such. Maybe he could be a late-bloomer like Federer and start getting some wins in some big moments. Or maybe Safin can get his stuff together soon? Whatever it is, it needs to be done sooner rather than later, before the guy racks up so many grand slams that his head swells so big it explodes.

The Pusher Terminator
06-18-2006, 12:03 PM

YOU SAID IT BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Sort of a new topic within a thread, but there is no way I'm starting another thread on Federer/Nadal at all, its just being hyped to death, BUT I have some questions for people....

Even if Nadal were able to gain the number one ranking while Federer was around within the next year or so, you have admit that everyone would still feel that Federer is the number one player yes?

And continuing with the rankings, Federer just hit 7260 points with his win in Halle, while Nadal has 4545. Now, Federer has 3,000 points to defend at the next 3 slams (while Nadal has probably around 200 points to defend at these) They each have 2 masters series events (500 each to defend) while Federer has an extra 500 to defend for the Shanghai event. Its obvious that from this point forward, the gap will continue to close and close if Nadal can live up to his seeding or close to it, setting himself up for a real shot at #1 next year? What do you guys see happening? Necessary for tennis?

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Check that.....

Nadal has 110 points to defend at the next 3 majors while Federer has 3,000 points to defend. Only time will tell I guess, but you'd have to be an idiot not to think that gap is going to be cut considerably.

Simon Cowell
06-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Nadal better than Federer? The only way you could make that idiotic claim is if you go only by head to head.

LOL! You just contradicted yourself with the EXACT reason why Nadal is better than Federer. Wow, on the IQ scale son, I think you owe them some points.

---------------------------
Nadal - The True #1
My Fave Tournaments this year: (Dubai, Monte Carlo, Rome, Roland Garros)

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 12:18 PM
LOL! You just contradicted yourself with the EXACT reason why Nadal is better than Federer. Wow, on the IQ scale son, I think you owe them some points.

---------------------------
Nadal - The True #1
My Fave Tournaments this year: (Dubai, Monte Carlo, Rome, Roland Garros)

In dh0003i's defense, he means who is the better player versus the competition, which then he would be right.

But, like the way you would settle it in the public park or on the high school team, you find out who the better player is by having them play each other, which, Nadal would then come out on top.

It's kind of up for your own interpretation.

ACE of Hearts
06-18-2006, 12:22 PM
LMAO at all these Fed bashers and haters, i knew this would happen as soon as the smell of grass started.U better just sit back and cry me a ****ing river!:lol:

exruda
06-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Nadal has 110 points to defend at the next 3 majors while Federer has 3,000 points to defend. Only time will tell I guess, but you'd have to be an idiot not to think that gap is going to be cut considerably.
this is true and I do see the gap closing;

however, notice that of the four remaining MS to be played this year (2000 points for grabs) last year Fed participated in and won one (while Nadal participated in 3 and won 2)

lol, Federer really only has finals or titles to defend from now on :)

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 12:29 PM
this is true and I do see the gap closing;

however, notice that of the four remaining MS to be played this year (2000 points for grabs) last year Fed participated in and won one (while Nadal participated in 3 and won 2)

lol, Federer really only has finals or titles to defend from now on :)

Yes, the point system is difficult for people to understand, especially for non-tennis diehards who wonder how Federer can be number one by so much but always lose to Nadal, but the grand slam points are the most important, and now all the pressure will be on Federer to defend those, while everything Nadal gains will just be tacked on to his point tally.

I did notice the 2000 points up for grabs, while Nadal has 1,000 to defend, and Federer has 500. I don't see both of them playing all 4 tournaments this year but you never know, but you'd have to at least think, and by recent MS events, that each of them could win 2 of them. I think the tale will be told in the grand slams.

HollerOne5
06-18-2006, 12:30 PM
LMAO at all these Fed bashers and haters, i knew this would happen as soon as the smell of grass started.U better just sit back and cry me a ****ing river!:lol:

Like I said, I'm not bashing Federer, its just annoying to know he is going to win and no one can challenge except one person. It makes men's tennis look as pathetic as women's tennis was in the Evert/Navratilova days.

Aykhan Mammadov
06-18-2006, 12:38 PM

Conversely imagine such a situation: there is no Federer in the tour, and every f..g PRO plays at the level of Berdych. Can there be exciting final ? Personally me could watch 1-2 matches in a year in such a situation, not more. It is GREAT that there are such players as Federer, Santoro, Nadal on clay ... who bring fun to fans.

theNetCordHatesME
06-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Over this year Nadal has proven to be Federer's Kryptonite. I know this conclusion is probably absurd, but Federer looked emotionally crushed this year in Halle. I know he was most likely just physically fatigued and he always carries a pensive countenance, but his face looked different this past week. He was unshaven and just looked gritty, like a drunk with all hope and aspirations lost. JMO

Bassus
06-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Over this year Nadal has proven to be Federer's Kryptonite. I know this conclusion is probably absurd, but Federer looked emotionally crushed this year in Halle. I know he was most likely just physically fatigued and he always carries a pensive countenance, but his face looked different this past week. He was unshaven and just looked gritty, like a drunk with all hope and aspirations lost. JMO

Seeing as how he put forth such a poor effort in that 4th set tie-break last week against Nadal, and seeing as how it cost him a golden opportunity for a Roger-Slam, and then possibly a calendar year Slam, how could he not be down?

He's fortunate that he's so much better than everyone else on grass, and its a good thing that Wimbledon is best of five, where he's less likely to be upset than at Halle.

Tennis_Goodness
06-18-2006, 12:54 PM
I doubt that. Everyone has highs and lows. Whether it be by injury, or the fact the competition catches onto him, Federer will not be #1 until the day he retires, unless he retires within the next 2 years or so, which is highly unlikely. What the tennis world needs is for some other players besides Nadal to step it up mentall and rise to the big occasions. Nalbandian has the capability I suppose, seeing how he now regularly gets to Semis in slams and such. Maybe he could be a late-bloomer like Federer and start getting some wins in some big moments. Or maybe Safin can get his stuff together soon? Whatever it is, it needs to be done sooner rather than later, before the guy racks up so many grand slams that his head swells so big it explodes.

No one you mentioned has the talent of Federer. Federer won't be number 1 until the day he retires but nobody is good enough to knock him off anytime soon. Barring injury I still think he is on top for the next 3 to 4 years. Safin is really good but again he dosen't have the talent or the stuff upstairs to challenge for number 1 and while Nadal is great on clay, he has not translated that to other grandslams and his game does not seem to be suited for other slams!

People have hard time wondering why Federer dominates, but it's simply he's just so much better then everybody else!

Federer The G.O.A.T.!
06-18-2006, 01:07 PM
hey, reality check for all of you ***-hats trying to downplay Roger's accomplishments by saying the competition isn't that great: If he didn't exist, there'd be someone else on top, and it would probably be much closer (the rest of the field is much closer). Then, people would say, "wow, how competitive it is: this #1 guy (Roddick or Hewitt) really isn't that much better than anyone else: he isn't dominant".

I guess you just can't win.You brought up a great point. Some people just create whiny-type threads, just to talk out of their asses, that's all. :)

TheTruth
06-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Maybe I should have titled the thread "The fact no one can beat Roger Federer is annoying," rather than he is annoying himself.

I have nothing against Federer, and I think its great for him that he has been able to accomplish so much. But let's be honest, as a fan and a spectator, it is highly unentertaining to see the same person win everything all the time. And a lot of the time, he is winning in less than thrilling and appealing matches. For instance, during the French Open, I've never seen someone (who is #1 in the world) shank so many shots and still win matches. Of course, the finals match he shanked a ridiculous amount and lost, but still. Although Federer has proven to be unbeatable (with the exception of Nadal), a lot of times he wins with less than stellar performances, and I have to credit this more to the nerves of his opponents rather than his fine play. The rest of the tour have placed him on such a pedestal, that they honestly don't think they have a chance against him (including Roddick, Hewitt, Ljubicic - who have all publicly and practically admitted this). When you have top 5 and top 10 players saying this, it doesn't bode well for the sport.

Sure, some of you think its great that Federer is raising the bar so high, which is fine, but I think after 2 and a half years of doing so, that is plenty. Others besides Nadal seriously need to step it up, because its boring for the sport. Its boring and predictable for me, knowing that every day that I checked the results this week in Halle, I see Federer win, win, win, and win some more, even in 3 set matches, that I have to assume a lot of the players had their chances (especially the 4 match points Rochus had......= NERVES). These players don't believe they can beat him......

This isn't an attack on Federer guys, so stop hating. Its not even an attack. I'm simply saying that the sheer fact that knowing every match involving Federer is highly UNentertaining and predictable, is getting old, monotonous, and is making tennis NOT fun to watch.

For example, how many of you during the Australian Open (especially knowing Nadal wasn't there) was really hoping for Haas, Davydenko, or even Baghdatis to pull through and upset Federer? I was - it would have been great for the sport. Yeah, they gave him some good sets, and then foiled. And everyone credits Federer for stepping up his play all the time (I would more than likely say he stays consistent rather than steps it up, while at the same time his opponents get nervous and fold).

I guess this is what I'm saying - There is entirely waaaayyy too much depth (skill wise) on the ATP tour today for someone to be completely unbeatable. The fact that Federer is, I think, is more due to the fact his opponents have no belief in winning before they step on the court, and you can't argue with that fact. The one person who does believe he can beat Federer, does.....and regularly.....
I couldn't agree more. The talent is there, the belief is not.

TheTruth
06-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Yep! He is arrogant, and there's nothing worse than a gracious winner and a sore loser. I think he started this garbage with Nadal out of spite. Sorry, but I've been reading Rog's interviews before he became "the Rog", initially I loved his all court game and obvious talent, but when I heard the things he spewed out of his mouth, he quickly lost me as a fan. And let's see, this "classiness" comes from the McEnroes and Carillo? Have they ever liked someone who was of decent character?

framebreaker
06-18-2006, 07:14 PM
i don't have a problem with federer. but lets be honest. in the previous years his style and personality stopped tennis from gaining moe fans. Nadal on the other hand brought tennis into the centre of attention.

soundofatrain
06-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Why can't you guys just enjoy the brilliance of both players, Fed and Nadal. Give credit where it is due, or did you prefer the years when Leyton Hewitt was number one ?

devila
06-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Hewitt, Federer and Ljubicic aren't extremely popular. Guess why?
Certainly not because they're the best of all time. :o

Gilgamesh
06-18-2006, 09:19 PM
I kind of get what the initial poster is saying.

In one hand, it's a priviledge to see a talent like Federer. In the other hand, his domination takes away a lot of the suspense of the tour and for some also the excitement. It kind of gets boring to see Federer win everytime. It was great the first few times but it's kind of getting old. I get that although I won't go as far as saying Fed is annoying...plus how can you blame him for winning? Isn't that what playing competitively is all about? Screw fun and gimme wins.

Although Fed has his fans it is also kind of sad to see that the general public and casual fans havn't opened up to this guy like they did Sampras which made Sampras' domination more tolerable for the people who relish a more competitive field. It's even more sad if you consider Fed's humanitarian efforts. Considering Fed's talent you did think he would be more marketable but that's not his personality I think. He only cares about winning and that is what makes him top in my books.

Tolip
06-18-2006, 10:38 PM
It's not annoying.. it's just too predictable.

OrangeOne
06-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Barring injury I still think he is on top for the next 3 to 4 years.

I agree, and so does history. The "big" number 1's tend to dominate for 4-5ish years. Sampras, Lendl, Connors...and now Fed.

emcee
06-19-2006, 06:52 AM

But at least they have some basis. 7 Slams! On TWO different surfaces!

The Nadal g.o.a.t. fans are the pits of the board. All he's shown is that he's a great clay court player.

OrangeOne
06-19-2006, 06:59 AM
But at least they have some basis. 7 Slams! On TWO different surfaces!

The Nadal g.o.a.t. fans are the pits of the board. All he's shown is that he's a great clay court player.

I mostly agree with most of what you've said, but don't want to weigh in too much more than to say that it's actually THREE different surfaces, the US & Australian Open are both on hardcourts, but by all reports quite different hardcourts. I haven't played on the US Surface, I have played on Rebound Ace and found it to be, well, quite unlike anything else I'd played on!

Whilst the recent greats have won on both of them, others have definitely struggled on one or the other, I think it's fair to call them different surfaces.

Shabazza
06-19-2006, 07:33 AM
I mostly agree with most of what you've said, but don't want to weigh in too much more than to say that it's actually THREE different surfaces, the US & Australian Open are both on hardcourts, but by all reports quite different hardcourts. I haven't played on the US Surface, I have played on Rebound Ace and found it to be, well, quite unlike anything else I'd played on!

Whilst the recent greats have won on both of them, others have definitely struggled on one or the other, I think it's fair to call them different surfaces.
Agreed, rebound ace and fast hard courts like USO are different

HollerOne5
06-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Agreed, rebound ace and fast hard courts like USO are different

What does this matter for the fact that no one is beating Roger besides Nadal is bad for the sport?

prostaff18
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
So you get to downplay his accomplishments because he's so great that he makes everyone else look bad? But when he loses against Nadal, oh, then he's over the hill, on the downside of his career, will never win another Grand Slam again, is a choker, isn't really that great, and probably won't win Wimbledon?

Really, what does the guy have to do to get some respect? He gets to the finals on his worst surface, and loses to the best clay-court player in the game -- probably one of the best (not greatest) clay-courtesr of all time -- and that's somehow a big huge failure.

This is bull-****.
I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

MaxT
06-19-2006, 10:53 AM

I am excited to see him win. I hope he wins all, the same reason Brasilian soccer is loved world wide, he is playing a beautiful game.

For the sam reason I want JustinH to win but not Muresmo.

Mattle
06-19-2006, 01:46 PM

Jelaous on Federer? Feel sorry in your ass? stop making threads about this ********. seriously, Federer will always be a dream to watch,

tennis4ever
06-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Why would anyone acknowledge Federer's personality?
The fans know he's not exactly a charming intellectual.
The scowl on his face after the opponent wins a point is disgusting enough. "The ball missed the line." The umpire reversed calls for him
because Fed's so great and fair!!!
Fed's always on TV, therefore the poor thing's worthy of "bashing". No one would make Federer the butt of jokes if
his tennis-destroying double standards weren't so
boring to tennis fans. His ego is on par with the Williams' sisters
holier-than-thou attitude. Delusional players and fans are conniving weasels on and off court. This is all year, not just in the clay season.

His fan clowns, like the McEnroes, Brad Gilbert, Mary Carillo and Laver (hehe), jumped on his bandwagon as soon as he
seeked love everywhere he went and many top players ignored Federer's arrogant insults and mind games. They refused to take responsibility for their own self-defeatist attitudes, poor fitness and self-destruction. But, they spout hyperbolic trash to please their idol Federer the Perfect Gentleman. Cowards!!
:p

You need some serious help!! I have never seen you post anything but these type of messages - trust me, Fed isn't worried about your low opinion of him and you're not changing anyone's mind. Get the help you need and move on!

tennis4ever
06-19-2006, 03:21 PM
I hope you are being serious and not sarcastic, because I sort of agree

So the truth comes out - the moment you agree with this delusional and sad individual your true colors are shown. You are a Fed hater. Just admit it and move on.

tennis4ever
06-19-2006, 03:23 PM

Any you quite clearly know him personally? How can you make sweeping judegments about someone you have never met? Remarkable!!

tennis4ever
06-19-2006, 03:27 PM
How am I being annoying? I'm not even waiting for a rivalry, I'm waiting for other players to step up and be able to close out matches versus Roger. And I think Roger is great, but he is not brilliant trust me. I've haven't seen a top level player shank as many balls as he did in the French Final, or play the way he did. I'd hardly call that brilliant.

So the only reason Federer ever wins matches is because all the other players are weak? Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Fed is a great player does it? What a load of Fed-hating rubbish.

HollerOne5
06-19-2006, 07:25 PM
So the only reason Federer ever wins matches is because all the other players are weak? Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Fed is a great player does it? What a load of Fed-hating rubbish.

No, Fed is a great player, but he isn't a 97% winning percentage player or whatever it is over the last 2 or 3 years. There have been many matches where players should have beaten Federer, and they can't close. And most of the time, I have witnessed, its not because Federer stepped it up. Its because the other player choked, and I'm saying its getting a bit ridiculous. And its ridiculous to watch Federer matches, because you have the same boring outcome each time. Thats all...you either agree or you dont, who cares

ShooterMcMarco
06-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Well, it isn't Roger's fault for players not being able to close him out. So if you're annoyed at the same boring outcome, then you're blaming the wrong guy.

rounick
06-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Dealing with the pressure is a big-if not the biggest-factor in pro sport.If a guy chokes,too bad.The other guy didn't.ALL pro athletes feel pressure.It's the ones that deal with it that become greats.In tennis everyone knows that all points are not of the same value.Federer plays the big points better than anyone.Although Federer matches can be boring,that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve his place in the tennis world..

HollerOne5
06-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, it isn't Roger's fault for players not being able to close him out. So if you're annoyed at the same boring outcome, then you're blaming the wrong guy.

Did you see my 2nd post in the thread I think? I said I'm not blaming Roger and its not really him thats annoying, its the whole fact that he is winning everything, its predictable, and no one can challenge him thats annoying. Its more like ATP tennis has becoming annoying because of his domination. I'm sick of it.

mileslong
06-19-2006, 08:08 PM
well im glad that no one cares what you think...

Federer The G.O.A.T.!
06-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Dealing with the pressure is a big-if not the biggest-factor in pro sport.If a guy chokes,too bad.

Tennis_Goodness
06-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Did you see my 2nd post in the thread I think? I said I'm not blaming Roger and its not really him thats annoying, its the whole fact that he is winning everything, its predictable, and no one can challenge him thats annoying. Its more like ATP tennis has becoming annoying because of his domination. I'm sick of it.

Get use to it HollerOne, Federer's going to dominate for a lot longer!

127mph
06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
8PAQ,

Yea, and if he loses a single set at Wimbledon, but wins it, it'll be, oh the guy is clearly slipping.

Message to Nadal fans: Face it, Federer's the best player in tennis today. Period. He's the 2nd best player on Nadal's favorite surface (clay), and the best player on every other surface. Sorry, head to head doesn't count: only grand slams count.

How about we just face the fact that Federer is the prohibitive favorite for every tournament and grand slam from this point in the year.
HOLLA!!