PDA

View Full Version : Tennis needs more rivalries

Simon Cowell
06-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Tennis has not been the same since Sampras-Agassi or Mac-Connors. I think it's important that new rivalries develop. Don't even mention Nadal-Federer as a rivalry, because newsflash to Federer fans: Federer needs to actually BEAT Nadal to have a rivalry. Don't bring up that fluke Nasdaq final either. Maybe Gasquet/Monfils will step up and be able to challenge Nadal.

federerhoogenbandfan
06-18-2006, 10:11 AM
I think Henin-Clijsters could be a good rivalry if Clijsters wasnt so zonked out by Henin that she comes out so timid and beaten before the first ball is struck. Both playing up to their potential it would be awesome.

Simon Cowell
06-18-2006, 10:16 AM
I think Henin-Clijsters could be a good rivalry if Clijsters wasnt so zonked out by Henin that she comes out so timid and beaten before the first ball is struck. Both playing up to their potential it would be awesome.

Very true, it seems like Clijsters has a mental block against Henin that she needs to overcome. That would be an excellent rivalry indeed.

Breaker
06-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Clijsters has a mental block in slams against Henin, they are 10-10 against each other. So outside of slams it seems like Clijsters doesn't choke as much, which is represented by her having more overall titles than Henin, but far less slams.

youngbuck
06-18-2006, 10:33 AM
If Sharapova and Serena focus on working their butts of it will be an intruiging rivalry that seems to transcend beyond tennis due to the fact that they are probably the most famous female athletes. Plus their last 3 encounters were great matches. But they need to get their priorities straight first. ESPECIALLY Serena.

Shabazza
06-18-2006, 10:57 AM
This forum needs more "tennis is boring, where are the rivalries"-threads cause it isn't boring to post the same stupid stuff over and over again :rolleyes:

Shabazza
06-18-2006, 10:58 AM
If Sharapova and Serena focus on working their butts of it will be an intruiging rivalry that seems to transcend beyond tennis due to the fact that they are probably the most famous female athletes. Plus their last 3 encounters were great matches. But they need to get their priorities straight first. ESPECIALLY Serena.
yeah sure - nice joke

th41291
06-18-2006, 01:07 PM
sharapova's hot, and she's good at tennis..haha. i wonder when the williams will bounce back?

textbook strokes
06-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Tommy Hass was menacing to start a revalry against Fed. Well.... at least on exhibitions!. Give the guy some credit ;).
I really hope Nadal´s victories encourage other players to challenge Fed, ´cause even considering him the great player he is, I dont like seeing him winning by the fear of his opponents, wich seems to be the case of many of his late matches.

OrangeOne
06-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Tennis has not been the same since Sampras-Agassi or Mac-Connors. I think it's important that new rivalries develop. Don't even mention Nadal-Federer as a rivalry, because newsflash to Federer fans: Federer needs to actually BEAT Nadal to have a rivalry. Don't bring up that fluke Nasdaq final either. Maybe Gasquet/Monfils will step up and be able to challenge Nadal.

Ok - I'm a little morally opposed to responding to threads that seem to be trolling a little for replies / debate on certain players as this one does, but I was thinking about it over lunch. I'm deliberately choosing *not* to mention any players in my response.

I was thinking about what constitutes a rivalry to me. I know the famous quote of "having to start beating someone" for it to be a rivalry, but that's not what I think.

I think a rival is someone who challenges you, who you know you have to bring your best game to beat, and who, all things considered, you'd rather NOT have to play if it was your life on the line.

On that basis, i think there's some great match-ups around now, and many of them are amongst players with many years to play on the circuit. Personally, I look forward to watching some of them over the next few years!

Gilgamesh
06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
yeah sure - nice joke

They are arguably the most recognized female athletes in North America right now. Them, Dana Patrick, and Laila Ali.

I don't see how you could disagree with that.

emcee
06-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Clijsters just doesn't seem to care. She's too nice. While Henin will do anything to win...she'll stoop to gamemanship and cheating if she needs to. No wonder Clijsters always loses. No wonder more people like Clijsters.

Shabazza
06-19-2006, 07:43 AM
They are arguably the most recognized female athletes in North America right now. Them, Dana Patrick, and Laila Ali.

I don't see how you could disagree with that.
That's the point - now I agree.

mislav
06-19-2006, 07:47 AM
sharapova's hot, and she's good at tennis..haha. i wonder when the williams will bounce back?
The answer is obvious: when she hits the bottom! :mrgreen:

Shabazza
06-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Well, Serena can't jump high enough anymore! ;)

OrangeOne
06-19-2006, 07:53 AM

That'll be one mighty big bounce!!! :mrgreen: