PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs some help selecting a racket...

mattz
07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to tennis, been playing somewhat seriously for about a year. I'm looking to buy a decent racket for less than $100. I play mostly from the baseline, can generate some power on my own, but I do need help. I have a decent slice backhand. I've been playing with an oversized 110 Prince Precision Equipe. I'm looking for something similar with a little less weight and a little more power. Any recommendations? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

colt 4.5
07-08-2004, 10:31 AM
If you want something similar with less weight, it would be hard to beat the prince tt bandit for the price, 10.1 oz compared to 10.9 for your current racquet,
Why do you want a lighter racquet?
The volkl catupult 10 is on sale right now for 89.99 and is an excellent tweener racquet, although it's a little heavier than your prince.
You will find as you play more that a heavier racquet will give you much better control, you can string it on the low end to gain power.

georgeyew
07-08-2004, 10:42 AM
How about a Prince Scream? The Sports Authority is having a sale for $59. I think that it should suit your game pretty well.

mattz
07-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Really??? Is the scream on their website? I didn't see it listed...it sounds pretty good

mattz
07-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Which would you choose?

1. Prince TT Hornet
2. Prince TT Scream
3. Prince TT Attitude
4. Prince TT Bandit

Also, I hit the ball fairly flat with little topspin...

Thanks!

Steve H.
07-08-2004, 12:59 PM
mattz, the Equipe as listed on the TW site is over 12 ounces, with a swingweight of 339. It's not surprising that it feels heavy to you, but this may be more due to the swingweight than the actual weight.

Of the frames you listed, the Attitude and Bandit along with the older version of the Hornet are also high swingweight, although lighter overall. The Scream and newer Hornet are lower swingweight, but if you're a flat hitter you may find them really insubstantial compared with the Equipe. As a compromise, check out the Turbo Outlaw or the Wilson Torch.

If an oversize racquet feels good to you, you might give the Prince Original Graphite a try. It's still 12 ounces, but swings lighter and is more mobile than the Equipe. A wonderful design, still going strong after 25 years. Hope this helps

raven5288
07-08-2004, 04:03 PM
If you don't want people making fun of you, don't get the Torch. Trust me. James Carrey.....poor soul......xp

tennisnj
07-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Go for the Bandit. The Torch & Outlaw are wastes of money & should have come with a free bowl of soup. Even the Prince Thundercloud is a good cheap racquet for a newbie.

Xanataos
07-08-2004, 06:14 PM
You can get a Bobalot PD Oversize in Asia for about 100 dollar.