PDA

View Full Version : Going to Barcelona

D-Bomb
06-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm going to Spain on June 21 and I'll be in Barcelona by the 26th or 27th and I'm wondering where I can play some tennis. I figure it would be the red stuff (awesome), but I need some suggestions. I've talked to one of my club pros who says you can play at the Sanchez-Casal Academy for a fee. Any others? He told me there aren't very many public clay courts.

Ash_Smith
06-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Have a look at the Catalan Tennis Federation site, that has a list of all the clubs and public courts along with a map. You shouldn't struggle to find a place to hit, Barcelona has something like 47 tennis academies whithin a ten mile radius!

D-Bomb
06-18-2006, 01:05 PM
thanks. I couldn't find the site, do you have a link?

nswelshman
06-19-2006, 10:13 PM
These are the clubs I recommend:

*Real Club de Polo- huge sports place that was originally for Polo, but features 30+ courts, beautifully kept place
*Real Club de Tenis Barcelona - home of the ATP Godo, another beautiful and prestigous club, with prices to match
*Club Tenis Can Via- home of the Bruguera tennis academy, courts can be booked here from 12-2.30pm, and after 5pm (hours free of academy play). Very friendly place, keep your eye out for regular appearances by Sergi Bruguera
*Open Sports Club- home of Sanchez Casal, overpriced but why not?-home of the pros in Barįa
*Club Cercle Sabadelles 1856- about 30minutes out of central Barcelona, this is another top club in the city of Sabadell

For the clubs above, you are best to phone ahead to book a court, or you can visit them in person, but be aware they may have tournaments etc going on.

I live in Barcelona, and I can tell you, there are SO MANY clubs, you will not have any problem getting onto the dirt, whether at one of the clubs above, or you might find you are in a 2 mile radius of a few clubs from your hotel.

The courts system isnīt the same in the US as in there arenīt many īpublic courtsī that you can get time on, you have to go through the clubs. I know where there are public courts, but they are generally derelict hard courts, or terrible clay courts. Your best bet for a good time is to go through one of the clubs and hire a court from them, most are less than 10euros an hour (excluding the very prestigious clubs).

nswelshman
06-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Also, for phone numbers try here:

http://www.tenispain.com/tenispain/infclubte/index.php?iz=8

nswelshman
06-19-2006, 10:23 PM
barcelona is great

D-Bomb
06-19-2006, 10:32 PM
thanks nswelshman. Actually one of the pros at my club knows Angel Gimenez at the Open Sports Club, so he said I could probably figure out a discount or something like that. I'm gonna be at a hotel by the Gothic Quarter, so are there any clubs close to there?

Oh one more thing. I've been taking spanish at school, and I'm not too bad. Should I just speak english or actually try speaking spanish? I fear I'm gonna start and get totally confused.

nswelshman
06-20-2006, 01:30 AM
thanks nswelshman. Actually one of the pros at my club knows Angel Gimenez at the Open Sports Club, so he said I could probably figure out a discount or something like that. I'm gonna be at a hotel by the Gothic Quarter, so are there any clubs close to there?

Oh one more thing. I've been taking spanish at school, and I'm not too bad. Should I just speak english or actually try speaking spanish? I fear I'm gonna start and get totally confused.

Ok, from the gothic quarter there are so many transport options. RCP and RCT are the closest from the clubs I recommended. For RCT, you can get the green line from plaça catalunya to maria cristina (takes 5-10mins), then it is a 10 minute walk to the club. For RCP, you keep going up the diagnol on the green line, right near the university.

nswelshman
06-20-2006, 01:36 AM
taxi is ok option too

The Pusher Terminator
07-01-2006, 01:30 PM
So I am here in Barcelona, and I am staying at the majestic. Anyway, I asked the desk for a place to hit with a pro and he said you must be a member of all the places to play. Furthermore, juniors are tking place all summer anyway. Help!!!...I need to feed my adiction!!!

The Pusher Terminator
07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
These are the clubs I recommend:

*Real Club de Polo- huge sports place that was originally for Polo, but features 30+ courts, beautifully kept place
*Real Club de Tenis Barcelona - home of the ATP Godo, another beautiful and prestigous club, with prices to match
*Club Tenis Can Via- home of the Bruguera tennis academy, courts can be booked here from 12-2.30pm, and after 5pm (hours free of academy play). Very friendly place, keep your eye out for regular appearances by Sergi Bruguera
*Open Sports Club- home of Sanchez Casal, overpriced but why not?-home of the pros in Barça
*Club Cercle Sabadelles 1856- about 30minutes out of central Barcelona, this is another top club in the city of Sabadell

It was impossible to play at any of the above mentioned clubs for several reasons. Most of them you must be a member to play and the others had no pros available because in July they are all teacing children. The one club I did find in the entire city of Barclona was:

VALL PARC TENNIS

Awesome club! Its set up very high in the mountains wher you can see the entire ciy of Barcelona. The view is breathtaking. You can even eat a romantic dinner in their beautiful restauraunt. Take a look:

www.vallparc.com

AshNYC
07-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Wow I ust found this thread...
I actually am leaving for Barcelona next week, July 10th-25th.
I am brinign my racket to play a friend of mine out there.
Will any1 of you be in the area, care to play?

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Wow I ust found this thread...
I actually am leaving for Barcelona next week, July 10th-25th.
I am brinign my racket to play a friend of mine out there.
Will any1 of you be in the area, care to play?

LOL....leaving July 9th.Get ready to buy some "Nadal pants" or "pantolones corejetas"....the selection here is huge. Anyway, I am from NYC so I can always catch you there. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AshNYC
07-06-2006, 04:33 PM
oh ****, I am just missing you hehe. How is it out there?
I am goign for the monegros festival july 15th.
There was also Sonar which was about 2 weeks ago, u must have seen flyers for it everywhere.
I have a friend who plays and so I am gonna play against him.
Btw where in NY are you from?

Ash

The Pusher Terminator
07-07-2006, 12:09 AM
oh ****, I am just missing you hehe. How is it out there?
I am goign for the monegros festival july 15th.
There was also Sonar which was about 2 weeks ago, u must have seen flyers for it everywhere.
I have a friend who plays and so I am gonna play against him.
Btw where in NY are you from?

Ash

Between you and me and this entire board..lol.

Rob_C
07-11-2006, 12:59 AM
It was impossible to play at any of the above mentioned clubs for several reasons. Most of them you must be a member to play and the others had no pros available because in July they are all teacing children. The one club I did find in the entire city of Barclona was:

VALL PARC TENNIS

Awesome club! Its set up very high in the mountains wher you can see the entire ciy of Barcelona. The view is breathtaking. You can even eat a romantic dinner in their beautiful restauraunt. Take a look:

www.vallparc.com

Hey, Pusher, can I ask if you're a junior or not? I'm also planning on going to Spain, most likely Barcelona, and I definitely wanna be able to play alot on clay while I'm there. Did you get to play at all, how much did you play, how much did it cost, and what level were the people you played against.

Thanks.

The Pusher Terminator
07-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey, Pusher, can I ask if you're a junior or not? I'm also planning on going to Spain, most likely Barcelona, and I definitely wanna be able to play alot on clay while I'm there. Did you get to play at all, how much did you play, how much did it cost, and what level were the people you played against.

Thanks.

I'm not a junior but I played at that Vallpark place. The Spanish clay is awesome. Its real clay not those little pebbles like on har tru. It cost with a teaching pro 25 Euros....which is about 35 U.S. I was there for 9 days and I played 4 times

Rob_C
09-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Also, for phone numbers try here:

http://www.tenispain.com/tenispain/infclubte/index.php?iz=8

Hey, I'm planning on going to Barcelona sometime within the next 6 weeks. I'd like to be able to play a tournament if possible, preferably on clay. I've been doing searches trying to find a website that would have a list of tournaments but I havent been able to. Can you give me a website that might have that information, of if you know of any tournaments that will be held in the next 2 months.

Thanks.

fivefish
09-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Hi Rob_C,

Although there are currenly no tournaments on the site, it does have a listing of people (http://www.barcelona-tennis.com/ladder-players.asp) in Barcelona you can contact for a game. You can send an email to people at your aprox level using this form: http://www.barcelona-tennis.com/contact-social-ladder-players.asp (you don't have to register).

Also two courts listed where you don't have to be a member to play.

Don't know what your level is, on the NTRP Playing Levels I'm about a level 4, but if you feel like playing give me a shout.

Good luck and enjoy barcelona.

Quintus

Rob_C
10-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Just got back from my 3 day trip to Barcelona. I only stayed 3 days because I have exams to come back to. My first day there, Thurs, I pretty much just slept b/c I didn't get any sleep on the 8 hr plane ride there. I got to play Fri and Sat though. I played at the Vall d' Hebron Tennis Center, which is where the '92 Olympic competition was held. I took some pics, but they're on film. I was a little disappointed in the level of play there though. There were a lot of people with what I would consider bad strokes just kinda hacking around, but that's cool I guess. I signed up for that Barcelona connect service and that's how I found the guys that I hit with. If I ever go back, I think I'll go with the competitive option which went for 9 Euros, maybe I'll find more advanced players that way. I had really wanted to play a tournament on clay while I was there, but I couldnt find any listed. Its too bad they dont have a USTA tournament listing like we do.

showtime
10-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Okay, if anyone of you have some inputs regarding the quality of the academies in Barcelona, please post your insights. I'm planning to go summer of 07 with my 15 year old son and husband. We're all serious recreational players about 4.0 rating. My son plays high school varsity, and we're looking for a family tennis holiday with some quality serious training, maybe one week training together, and then leave son there at the academy for a couple of more weeks while my husband and I travel. We're looking for good training program with some individual attention, fun, family time, and serious training. Any idea, anyone?

sailfish
01-07-2007, 01:53 AM
hey pusher......did anyone at valpark speak english???....my spanish is not so good. Also......I'll be in Barcelona in Feb. I,m assuming it will be chilly but still good playing weather....can anyone comment on barcelona weather??

BrokeDad
01-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Showtime
The academies I know of in the Barcelona area only run Junior programs over the summer months
if you and your Husband wish to train with your son then I suggest you check out the La Manga Resort in Southerrn Spain then travel up to Barcelona where you can check your son into either Bruguera or Sanchez Casals for his next two weeks
of course someone might know different but I'm unaware of any adult coaching camps in the Barcelona area ..and also to be honest I wouldn't want to actually live in these places if i were on holiday whereas from what I've heard La Manga is great