PDA

View Full Version : andy roddick

fuzzy1
06-18-2006, 01:01 PM
what the heck is going to happen to andy not to sound like a worried mom or anything but i do but seriously what the hell.

is he going to drop out of the top 5 or even top ten cus i think he made it to semi finals at stellla atrois and was beating by blake idk how because out of everytime theve met andy won and he played on grass thats his favourtie surface so how could he loose ik hes not invincible but whatever. im just wondering whats going to happen in wimbledon

exruda
06-18-2006, 01:08 PM
I guess we have to wait another three weeks to see if he's in the final again :) I wish him all the best, but he seems fragile now and that loss to Blake may have udermined the confidence he was regaining this week.

Bogie
06-18-2006, 01:18 PM
im just wondering whats going to happen in wimbledon

to save you some time, its probably gonna go down like this. roddick gets there with fairly high hopes to get his game back on track. he breezes through his first few rounds and in the press conference says hes feeling pretty good about his chances and that he feels like hes playing pretty well. then, somewhere around the 4th round-quarterfinals, he is going to go down in a "shocking upset" that based on his performances as of late isn't going to be really shocking at all besides to patrick mcenroe who still thinks roddick is extremely hot sh*t. after that, hes going to have similar results throughout the U.S. hard court season, and hell probably be somewhere around the lower top 10 by the end of the year. i can definitely see him slipping lower and lower as time progresses, and its possible to see him outside the top 20 by the end of next year. basically, in short, theres no where for him to go but down from now on.

127mph
06-18-2006, 01:25 PM
hes acting like hes saving everything for wimbledon and us hard courts. he didnt do so well last us hard court season. his problem is that people have fugured him out and doesnt listen to mcenroe when he says that roddick shouldnt be standing 8 feet behind the baseline.

shawn1122
06-18-2006, 01:26 PM
I used to think Roddick would be the only one to ever beat Federer once in a while.

sureshs
06-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Has Connors started coaching him already? He did not make it into the finals of Queens.

rob61
06-18-2006, 03:11 PM
IF Conners, and that's still an IF according to the press, starts working with Roddick, it won't be until AFTER Wimbledon, ie the US hard court season.

alienhamster
06-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I agree that Roddick's probably gonna bottom out (for him, anyway) this year. I think he may pull out one success--final or win at a MS event. But he's playing like a low top 10-er right now.

It remains to be seen if he can bounce back or not next year. The advantage of having a lower rank is that you do have fewer points to defend at events the following year, but that probably doesn't make up for the crummy seedings you're gonna get.

He's got way too much talent to simply drop out of the top 20 in the next few years--that I do believe.

prostaff18
06-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Roddick needs to go back to the game that got him to the top of the game. He has been trying to change his game too much and it has only made him worse. He needs to start over powering people again like he used to. If you serve a ball 140 mph you are going to be set up with a very easy shot.
But he still is Andy Roddick and he is better than any of us, so we should just leave him alone and see how he dose. Who knows he just might suprise us.:D

lucky leprechaun
06-18-2006, 06:38 PM
to save you some time, its probably gonna go down like this. roddick gets there with fairly high hopes to get his game back on track. he breezes through his first few rounds and in the press conference says hes feeling pretty good about his chances and that he feels like hes playing pretty well. then, somewhere around the 4th round-quarterfinals, he is going to go down in a "shocking upset" that based on his performances as of late isn't going to be really shocking at all besides to patrick mcenroe who still thinks roddick is extremely hot sh*t.

Good one! That's what I think too. I saw the stats on blake match and some previous matches at the tournament, and he was serving 70+ percent on grass and he STILL strugged through those matches. I've always thought he was a talentless punk with nothing but a first serve, but I thought if he could serve 70+ percent first serve it wouldn't matter. But I guess I must have even overestimated his talent in all the rest of his game, that he can't even beat people serving at 70+ percent.

Bogie
06-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Good one! That's what I think too. I saw the stats on blake match and some previous matches at the tournament, and he was serving 70+ percent on grass and he STILL strugged through those matches. I've always thought he was a talentless punk with nothing but a first serve, but I thought if he could serve 70+ percent first serve it wouldn't matter. But I guess I must have even overestimated his talent in all the rest of his game, that he can't even beat people serving at 70+ percent.

if a first serve would solely be enough, then karlovic would have been #1 a looong time ago

EclipseRydr97
06-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Is it really Roddick's game that is slowly deteriorating or are the other players just moving their games up a notch or two?

RiosTheGenius
06-18-2006, 11:05 PM
if anything I like Blake's chances.... i mean, If I have to call an american for the final

lucky leprechaun
06-18-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't think his game has detioriorated at all because the basis of his game is still the serve and he's still bombing it in. It's absolutely phenomenal to serve 70+ percent day in and day out at the speeds he's putting it. I hate to see what happens when he starts aching in the joints and his percentage goes down a little and his speed goes down a little. Shows you how good the rest of the field is to be able to adapt to blind power. Hopefully he settles into a top 10-20 position and I get to see the talented james blake more.

superman1
06-18-2006, 11:52 PM
He played well throughout the week, his serve is as big as ever and his forehand is still big. He's a fighter and that's why he'll always remain near the top. If he improved his footspeed, learned to serve a little smarter (body serves, serve to the backhand more often), learned to come in on that serve, and turned the backhand into a weapon, he'd be contending for Slams right up there with the best of them. He needs to really focus on that return game, maybe learn to stand a little closer and hit the return flatter.

alienhamster
06-19-2006, 02:09 AM
In all fairness to Andy . . .

Blake had a PHENOMENAL return game in that semi. I'd never seen anyone able to smack back those serves with that sort of pace AND placement. (So many of them landed deep and near the baseline.) Roddick just wasn't ready for that.

Let me state it this way as a positive for Roddick: people have always argued that all he is is just a big serve. Right now, we're sometimes seeing that from him, and it's not winning him matches. To me this says that, YES, when he was #1 in the world, he must have had a good enough ground game in addition to the serve to get him up there.

If you saw him play Gonzalez in the quarters, you have to admit that the guy's still capable of playing top 2-3 in the world tennis. He just has no consistency these days. And he seems to panic a lot more than he used to when Brad was his coach.

Bogie
07-01-2006, 12:41 PM
to save you some time, its probably gonna go down like this. roddick gets there with fairly high hopes to get his game back on track. he breezes through his first few rounds and in the press conference says hes feeling pretty good about his chances and that he feels like hes playing pretty well. then, somewhere around the 4th round-quarterfinals, he is going to go down in a "shocking upset" that based on his performances as of late isn't going to be really shocking at all besides to patrick mcenroe who still thinks roddick is extremely hot sh*t.

oh ya, i totally called it. skillz

vicnan
07-01-2006, 01:02 PM
I wish Roddick would slow down when he is playing -- learn from Nadal. Also, add more variety by improving his volleys, drop shots and bh slices.