PDA

View Full Version : car problems

lendl lives
07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
i have a 93 honda accord with 183k miles on it. the temperature gauge is going way high especiall when idleing. what could be wrong? (from the most basic thing to...uh uh i'd rather not imagine)

jayserinos99
07-08-2004, 11:53 AM
have you changed the thermostat? dad's '94 civic had that same problem but it was fixed changing the thermostat.

lendl lives
07-08-2004, 12:19 PM
jay,

tks!! i know zilch about cars. how much did it cost him?

Rickson
07-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Go to the mechanic. Jay's right, it could be the thermostat or simply a heater hose. Check with a mechanic since you know zilch about cars, it'll be a lot easier for you than figuring out the problem on a message board.

David Pavlich
07-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Did you check to see if the coolant is actually that hot? It's possible that the gauge or the sending unit is giving you a false reading.

If it isn't, the previously suggested thermostat would be the first place I'd check.

Question: Is it heating up in traffic only or is it heating up any time you drive?

Once you replace the thermostat but you still have an overheating problem, you may have to look at your fan. It's probably electric and would keep it cool when you're in traffic.

If it's heating up no matter how you're driving, I'd look at the radiator. You may be able to get by flushing it, but it may be so bad you'll have to get a new one.

Good Luck! David

Coda
07-08-2004, 06:07 PM
thermostat is a good place to start...but worse case scenario you are looking at the fan belt needing to be replaced or the coolant tank leaking...these last two if not fixed immediately can blow your engine up...

David Pavlich
07-08-2004, 06:28 PM
thermostat is a good place to start...but worse case scenario you are looking at the fan belt needing to be replaced or the coolant tank leaking...these last two if not fixed immediately can blow your engine up...

I may be mistaken, but I believe the engine in this vehicle is mounted transversely, which eliminates the fan belt.

A coolant leak would certainly cause overheating once the fluid level reaches a point that there is not enough fluid to cool, but the leak should leave evidence on the ground, in the engine bay or on the engine.

David

Coda
07-09-2004, 05:55 AM
well if there is no engine belt then definetly look for coolant somewhere where you park your car...or better yet open up the hood and check it

jayserinos99
07-09-2004, 12:03 PM
jay,

tks!! i know zilch about cars. how much did it cost him?

not very much, just the cost of the thermostat. my cousin and i worked on the car, so that saved a trip to the mechanic.

Steve Huff
07-10-2004, 11:34 AM
I'd start with the thermostat too. The Civic still has a fan. I think it is run by an electric motor and it, too, is controlled by the thermostat (or separate temperature gauge). Other simple things it could be: no or low coolant, no or low oil, if it's an Si model, I think you need premium gas. Leaking radiator hose. Too low of octane could cause overheating in hot weather. Other deeper things to look for: bad water pump (fairly common), clogged up radiator or damaged radiator, and worst of all, a cracked block or blown gaskets.

BankOfDad
07-10-2004, 04:27 PM
All of these ideas are fine but I'd START with checking to see if there is any WATER in the radiator. It may have leaked out. First, refill it. Then, over a day or so, figure out where it's leaking from (hose, radiator, heads gasket...oh no! not the head gaskets!)

lendl lives
07-12-2004, 09:49 AM
tks,

I haven't driven except for today. I'm going to work on this today. but i noticed also that the engine is accelerating w/o me steping on the gas pedal now.

Coda
07-12-2004, 09:27 PM
you might need that acceleration thing worked on, sounds kinda dangerous

J D
07-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Sorry to get to this so late, LL, but hopefully it's in time to help. I've owned almost nothing but Hondas since 1982 and am very familiar with the problem you're experiencing.

First, check to see that the coolant level is full by pulling the radiator cap. If it is, then start the car and let it idle for a while. Notice if either of the cooling fans is running. After the engine warms up, see if the coolant starts flowing through the radiator. If it does, then your thermostat is working (it opened to let the coolant flow from the block through the radiator like it's supposed to).

Most likely, your fluid level and thermostat are fine. The problem is almost always one of the cooling fan motors burning out. The main cooling fan is designed to run the whole time the engine is running. The secondary fan is signaled to run only when the engine is very hot. If you're tending to overheat in traffic, then it's most likely the secondary fan motor. It should come on well before the Accord overheats. It should be pretty obvious which of the fans isn't working.

Unfortunately, these fan motors are very expensive. You can find a cheap aftermarket one and save yourself well over $100. Even a used junkyard fan motor would probably do (how much longer ARE you going to be driving a car with 183K on it?). Junkyards have such a high demand for Honda fan motors that many in my area have started stocking cheap new ones to have extras on hand.

If you're handy with a ratchet and have a metric socket set, you can save another $50 by doing this job yourself. First, disconnect the fan motor wiring. If I remember correctly, the main fan has two wiring harnesses that need to be disconnected. If you're replacing the secondary fan, it only has one. Second, loosen the four bolts that hold the big square plastic cowling that surrounds the fan to the radiator (these can be pretty tough to get to sometimes). This whole fan assembly is replaced (you'll have already figured this out if you bought a new one because it will have the plastic cowling included). It can be really tricky maneuvering the fan housing out around motor, radiator, and hoses, but it can be done. I don't remember for sure, but it seems like maybe I had to disconnect one hose for the secondary fan, but I don't remember if that was on the Accord or the Civic. Just make sure that you're not loosening an AC hose (if you don't know the difference, then you should pay someone else to do this job for you). Just reverse the process for the installation.

Anyway, you'll still save a lot of money if you buy the part cheap and then pay a shop to install it for you. BTW, I can't imagine that the accelerator problem is being caused by the same thing as the overheating. I agree with Coda, you should have that checked out by a mechanic if it keeps happening.