PDA

View Full Version : Catapult and Woofer which has better "cupping" eff

Golden Retriever
07-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Tried my girlfriend's Babolat PD OS and liked the "cupping" effect. Unfortunately, it is way too powerful and lacking in feel and touch. I have always liked the feel of a Volkl and the Catapult looks like its Volkl 's answer to Woofer. So if anyone has tried both the Catapult and the Woofer pls comment.

counterpuncher
07-08-2004, 04:01 PM
I play with a Cat 10 and a Bab PC MP (100), IMO the Volkl has more of a cupping effect as the ball seems to stay on the strings longer, although I think that this can also be attributed to the flex rating of the racquet : 59 for the Cat 10 and 65 for the Bab PC MP.

mvictory5
07-10-2004, 05:15 PM
I didn't think the woofer technology made that big a difference.

The catapult technology, on the other hand, *can* make a huge difference. I had a Catapult 3 strung at 55 lbs, and the catapult springs really added to the cupping effect. (They also made a crazy sound that was almost like something was cracking.) Unfortunately the Catapult 3 had too much power, so I tried stringing it at 57 lbs. The recommended range is 50-55. I think the reason the range is so low is that the springs will stay permanently compressed above 55 lbs. At 57 lbs I basically overrode the catapult system, making it worthless. The cupping feeling disappeared, as did the cracking sound.

I think the earlier Catapult racquets had a small tension range, and then they opened the range up in the later racquets. Not sure if the springs changed at all. I now have a Catapult 10 which has a range of 48-62. It is strung at 60. It has above average cupping, but not like the Cat3 did at the low 55 tension. It doesn't make the crazy sound either.

So my advice, if you want maximum cupping action, is to get an appropriately powered Catapult racquet and string it at 55. My Cat10 at 60 still has plenty of power, so if the racquet has too much power at 55, I would recommend using a low power string like most polyesters. If you go above 55 lbs, you may not get the full benefit of the catapult system.