PDA

View Full Version : Blake can learn from Amelie and Justine on how to use slice backhand

BeautyVenus
06-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Blake's got a great forehand and a decent top spin one handed backhand. However, why doesn't he work on an effective slice backhand. Especially on grass Blake should work on that backhand. I think if Blake worked on his slice backhand a lot more he would be winning even more matches. A slice backhand takes away pace, you can hit it really low like Mauresmo and Justine Henin Hardenne. Blake can learn from Amelie and Justine on how to use his backhand more effectively.

doriancito
06-18-2006, 05:51 PM
we can all learn something from amelie...thats for sure

Alexandros
06-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Roger Federer is a better example to learn from, especially the short cross court slice which is superb for drawing in two handers not comfortable at the net, it forces them to hit up and sets the slicer up for a relatively easy pass.

EclipseRydr97
06-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Roger Federer is a better example to learn from, especially the short cross court slice which is superb for drawing in two handers not comfortable at the net, it forces them to hit up and sets the slicer up for a relatively easy pass.

True. Not only does Federer slice well, he's able to use that as an offensive shot as opposed to a defensive shot...

Warriorroger
06-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Slice is Graf's forte

bluescreen
06-19-2006, 09:44 AM
fed wouldnt definately be 1 of the best players to model a 1h backhand after. he might not use the slice backhand as much as he should (like RG final), but when he does use it its very good. but even if we're just talking about women's 1h backhands, justine's is better to model than amelie's imo.

tennissavy
06-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Henin and Capriati have the best one handed backhand slices, even better than federer.

Brettolius
06-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Henin and Capriati have the best one handed backhand slices, even better than federer.

Good one!! Funniest thing I've read all day! Keep 'em comin'!

LowProfile
06-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Good one!! Funniest thing I've read all day! Keep 'em comin'!

Henin does have a great backhand slice. Capriati...not so much.

Tchocky
06-19-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm sure Brian Barker is having James watch tapes of both girls as we speak. It's amazing how many of us posters know so much more about what the players should be doing.

Warriorroger
06-19-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm sure Brian Barker is having James watch tapes of both girls as we speak. It's amazing how many of us posters know so much more about what the players should be doing.

Right, because you and I know Steffi has the best slice backhand. Thanks Tchocky, you're a real pal and expert.

deluxe
06-19-2006, 03:48 PM
we can all learn something from amelie...thats for sure

Scoring chicks?

kaiotic
06-20-2006, 06:38 PM
just go to the Graff video. what a beautiful thing to watch.
her legs get me every time.

HyperHorse
06-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Right, because you and I know Steffi has the best slice backhand. Thanks Tchocky, you're a real pal and expert.

you got to be jokin...
best slice backhands...
Ken Rosewall
Stefan Edberg
Pat Rafter
Pete Sampras
Boris Becker..
Henman... etc etc

Warriorroger
06-21-2006, 10:41 AM
you got to be jokin...
best slice backhands...
Ken Rosewall
Stefan Edberg
Pat Rafter
Pete Sampras
Boris Becker..
Henman... etc etc

Blablablabla, Horsy bye bye

GugaGuga
06-21-2006, 11:53 AM
I agree that Henin-Hardenne plays with spins beautifully. She is very fluid in both the backhand slice as well as the backhand topspin. She also employs these shots intellegently.

Rafter is another good example of someone who can play beautiful spins off the backhand side.

I also agree that Blake needs to use his best assets on the court (which he has not done up to this point). He needs to use his athleticism and his feel for the game. Up till now, he has tried to play aggressive baseline tennis, with the occasional foray to the net. In other words, he plays the game he thinks he is supposed to play, instead of the game that he is best at.

For a long time, I have said that Blake is the best American tennis "talent"--far more so than Roddick. But he has never panned out, because he is not using his best assets.

Another example (and I have been saying this for a long time) is that he has exquisite movement skills--he is balanced and poised. However, he tends to get himself "tied up" by trying too hard to move his feet "Agassi style" (i.e. quick and often). He would do better to allow himself to move fluidly (i.e. Federer/Rafter) around the court and allow his natural balance and natural feel accomodate the position of the ball.

I think Blake will eventually have a good run at a big tournament somewhere, and then we will see if he can deal with the pressure...and that's another story altogether.