PDA

View Full Version : Shoe for Synthetic Clay courts

Young Gun
06-19-2006, 12:10 AM
basically i need shoe recommendations because i am always slipping and sliding around and cant re-adjust my footing to get the shot hit back behind me, please help needed URGENTLY,

thanks YG

Young Gun
06-19-2006, 03:14 AM
if anyone knows any good shoes which are really grippy and comfy please tell me, need them by saturday

OrangeOne
06-19-2006, 04:43 AM
Pardon my ignorance - but what's a Synthetic Clay Court? I play on Synthetic Grass regularly, I've played on 'en tout cas' - a version of clay in melbourne, I've seen the clay at the 'home of clay at Roland Garros, but yours is the first time I've heard of Synthetic Clay!

Duzza
06-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Yeah, What the? I play on en tout cas is that what you mean? Unless its that Har Tru stuff?

Rabbit
06-19-2006, 05:11 AM
The Adidas Feathers are great for clay.

Young Gun
06-19-2006, 01:52 PM
synthetic clay is like synthetic grass, but red and has red dirt/sand over it like synthetic grass

tonysk83
06-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Seems cool to play on, same with synthetic grass.

OrangeOne
06-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Seems cool to play on, same with synthetic grass.

Tonysk83 - i'm guessing by the way you wrote your reply you haven't played on it? I'm not sure, but I can say that as a surface, Synthetic Grass is terrible.

When I did my coaching-course they did a presentation on the advantages and disadvantages of synthetic grass, and the advantages were as follows:

1. Slightly softer than hardcourt (and only very slightly mind you, and probably only until it wears loads and then barely at all!), so slightly kinder on the joints.
2. It drains faster - can be played on quicker - than almost any other surface. This was touted as *the biggest advantage*, especially for junior clinics and the like.

The disadvantages?

1. It doesn't take spin too well, slice skids through & die.
2. Grip underfoot is terrible & sliding can be inconsistent
3. Because it it faster than hard or clay, doesn't teach people (esp. juniors) to craft a point, to hit lots of balls (from the school of thinking that says everyone should learn on clay, which isn't a bad thought really!)
4. It gives you abrasion burns when you fall on it
5. It's not used for hardly any serious tournament, esp. outside of aus, so you're playing & practising on something you don't see elsewhere
etc etc etc.

It's not a good surface imho, I relish the chances I get to play on rebound ace....

tonysk83
06-19-2006, 07:39 PM
ic, I just like playing on as many surfaces as I can. Around here all we have is hard and har-tru courts.

OrangeOne
06-19-2006, 07:47 PM
ic, I just like playing on as many surfaces as I can..

Fair call - I get that. I'll never forget the couple of games that I played on real-grass at a resort. I'm tall with a big serve and I wish I could play all of my matches on it! :). The only reason we didn't play more is that it was unfenced....