PDA

View Full Version : Is Sharapova the only top contender seriously preparing for Wimbledon?

tennisjunkiela
06-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Why are virtually none of the top women players playing tuneup events on grass? Other than Sharapova, who seems to be taking her grass court preparation seriously, where is Davenport, Venus Williams, Henin-Hardenne, Mauresmo, Kim Clisjters??

In the past, the great grass court players like Navratilova, used Eastbourne and the other grass court tuneup events to get prepared for Wimbledon. Now it seems that most of the top ladies today just show up at Wimbledon, hoping to round into form by the second week, like Venus Williams did last year. This seems crazy to me.

Should more of the top players follow Sharapova lead in terms of grass court preparation?

theNetCordHatesME
06-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Uhhhh, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, and Mauresmo are playing this week to tune up for Wimbledon. Venus isn't, but that isn't a surprise, seeing how she never did really. That's just how she is.

As for Davenport, I wouldn't be surprised if she pulled out last minute with her back injury. I predict that this is her last season on tour. Her body just has taken all it can. Honestly, when I first saw her I thought she was 45 or something around that age. At the time she was 29 or 28. Being in the sun and playing tennis all her life must have caused her body to age faster than normal because she looks OLD. Am I the only one that gets the disgusted at how wrinkly her neck is, like a prune.

Shabazza
06-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Uhhhh, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, and Mauresmo are playing this week to tune up for Wimbledon. Venus isn't, but that isn't a surprise, seeing how she never did really. That's just how she is.

As for Davenport, I wouldn't be surprised if she pulled out last minute with her back injury. I predict that this is her last season on tour. Her body just has taken all it can. Honestly, when I first saw her I thought she was 45 or something around that age. At the time she was 29 or 28. Being in the sun and playing tennis all her life must have caused her body to age faster than normal because she looks OLD. Am I the only one that gets the disgusted at how wrinkly her neck is, like a prune.
I don't care how Davenport looks, but I agree that she will retire soon!
As for grass-court preparation, many WTA players seem to like practicing on grass more than actually playing a prep. tourney on it - but to each their own, we'll see who's got the best grass-court form soon!

Alexandros
06-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Surface seems to bother women far less than men. You tend to see the same women go deep regardless of whether it's on clay, hard, grass or carpet so I suppose some of them feel that there's not so much need to 'get ready' in the sense that men do.

emcee
06-19-2006, 05:53 PM
That's because they're all baseliners! Each and every one of them!

crazylevity
06-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Mauresmo and Kuznetsova are playing Eastbourne.

theNetCordHatesME
06-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I knew Davenport would pull out of Wimbledon. Her ranking is going to plummet and she is going to have a REALLY hard time at the US Open IF SHE PLAYS. Especially now that Venus is finding her form of old again and Serena is coming back to be large and in charge (lol), Davenport might as well end it this year while she's still top 20.

kaiotic
06-20-2006, 06:20 PM
just like Davenport, Maria's game doesn't excite me one bit.. steady game, but boring and too ugly to watch. henin, Mauresmo and Hingis on the other hand, a pleasure. gotta love the vulnerable strategist in Hingis..

Serena, jesus!
lose them hamburger-thighs along with your aspiration to be a celebrity fashion designer, scenster or whatever, and WAKE UP already! Venus needs you!

about Venus, all these years and with her massive wing span, she still hasn;t developed a serve-and-volley game that could have scored her so many more titles.

brucie
06-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Yeah I suppose even venus must be doing grass court practise, even if she isnt doing a tournament!

tennisaddict07
06-21-2006, 04:12 AM
My bets probably on Maria Sharapova to win Wimbledon. I don't think there is any real competition, no one really dominates the grass courts when it comes to the women. So we'll just have to wait and see.