PDA

View Full Version : Was Rome harder for Fed than Paris?

urban
06-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Normally the 2 weeks on clay in Paris are the most gruelling test of mental and physical resources in tennis, with the best of 5 format and the long matches. I find it interesting, that Federer withdrew from Hamburg after Rome, and played Halle after Paris. He said himself, that he hadn't a chance to win at Hamburg, and withdrew. So the Rome final must have been a brutal ordeal, that left him exhausted, although Rome was played mainly over best of three. Nvertheles i am surprised, that he took the Halle tournament, which turned out to be more challenging than expected. Maybe not the ideal preparation for Wimbledon.

fastdunn
06-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah. My guess is that he feels his dominant status are bieng threatened
somewhat and he probably lost some confidences due to Nadal's
challenges and needs some confidence back before Wimbledon this year.

I think he's also kinda showing off to his challengers, kinda like
"I'm still the king on grass. Don't even think about challenging me"-kind of
thing...

Rob_C
06-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Normally the 2 weeks on clay in Paris are the most gruelling test of mental and physical resources in tennis, with the best of 5 format and the long matches. I find it interesting, that Federer withdrew from Hamburg after Rome, and played Halle after Paris. He said himself, that he hadn't a chance to win at Hamburg, and withdrew. So the Rome final must have been a brutal ordeal, that left him exhausted, although Rome was played mainly over best of three. Nvertheles i am surprised, that he took the Halle tournament, which turned out to be more challenging than expected. Maybe not the ideal preparation for Wimbledon.

Halle was his only chance to get any matches in on grass before Wimby, that's why he played it. He's not going to play a tournament the week before Wimby. Its either play Halle/Queens Club, or go into Wimby with no matches on grass. None of the big players are playing this week, Hewitt, Roddick, Blake, Nalbandian, Lljubicic etc etc.

urban
06-21-2006, 12:48 PM
That may be the reason. Borg never played a warmup event prior to Wimbledon. In the 60s Queens was played always the week before Wimbledon. You can play at Nottingham or Rosmalen; Ancic, who had a hard RG plays there. I think its a risk, to play, when tired, because muscle injuries could come up.

welcome2petrkordaland
06-21-2006, 04:43 PM
For sure . . . mainly psychologically. Not winning when he really should have against his true nemesis set him back "between the ears" for future head-to-heads against Nadal (except on grass . . . just yet). I used to think Fed would break Sampras' record of 14 gs. His mental shakiness against Nadal has changed my mind.

jackson vile
06-21-2006, 09:12 PM
I think that is could have simply been him wanting some grass time to get ready, or perhaps it was so that he might meet up with Nadal there and blast him right then and there.

Otherwise there was no real reason.:confused: